Blunt: Manchin Not On Board With Revival Of Stalled Voting Rights Push

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) on Sunday attempted to paint Democrats’ Freedom to Vote Act — which is the latest version of the For the People Act that was modified to get pro-filibuster Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) on board, but garnered no bipartisan support last week — as a bill that the centrist senator wasn’t fully supportive of in the first place, despite the centrist senator working with other key Senate Democrats on it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391910

Deplorable

25 Likes

“There are 10,000 election jurisdictions out there in America. The federal government deciding how elections should be run in all 10,000 of those jurisdictions is a bad idea.”

Imagine if all those minorities could vote in every election! Argle Bargle! Cats und Dogs!

14 Likes

Why is Blunt speaking for Manchin? If Manchin ok’d that, then he is utterly deplorable. If not, then Blunt is double plus deplorable.

27 Likes

Something akin to that has been taking place from the GOP for a while sans the direct mentioning of Manchin’s name in this manner

which is why I wrote this Post on another thread (Nancy talking about filibuster carve-out) see below:

["Again…Pelosi…and I am open to other takes on this (it is that important).

Klobuchar and Manchin have been working on a Senate version of the Voting Rights Bill. She is on Board with it.

Pelosi, Biden, Chuck, Kamala and everyone else is aware of this…and for Manchin to be this involved only to say, “Sorry…filibuster…I am gonna fuck the passage of what I just spent months on” does not make sense to ME."]

9 Likes

Shorter Blunt: Some jurisdictions ought to be able to prevent some citizens from voting!

22 Likes

The Republicans seem to have been telling Manchin how high to jump for some time now.

14 Likes

Manchin sure looks like a weak little froggy. And a corrupt one, too.

22 Likes

Hey Blunt, why shouldn’t every single voting jurisdiction be subject to the exact same voting rules for Federal elections?

Oh yeah, it would spell the demise of what’s left of the GQP.

23 Likes

Arguing there is no point in federal laws.

If only dems would play the game that way some times. A blue state limiting the amount of polling places rural areas get would for etc.

5 Likes

I never thought that Old MacDonald and Farmer Brown would be the new Mafia. Apparently the GOP is gonna ride this particular horse to full-blown fascism.

10 Likes

“Manchin had claimed since the Freedom to Vote Act’s introduction in mid-September that there are 10 Republicans who will help Democrats defeat the filibuster.”

Lot thought he could find 10 virtuous people in Sodom and Gomorrah, too.

Sad!

26 Likes

Blunt isn’t very sharp.

28 Likes

One thing that the 6 January Insurrection did (besides almost destroy Congress) was to NOT allow us to savor the election of Warnock and Ossoff and then TAKE STOCK.

By the time the dust cleared we were playing catch-up.

14 Likes

Blunt was on Meet the Press this morning and said it was time to put 2020 behind us, so at least he’s got that going for him.

4 Likes

If you aren’t aware of it, there is a documentary on MSNBC tonight called Civil War. Part of the focus of this is what and how people learn about the War.

I’ve seen interviews with various people involved with this production. I wish everyone could see this, especially those people who only hear the southern version (the North invaded over States Rights in part). Unfortunately, even if any of them did, I’m sure they would decry it as “Fake News!”. Sad.

10 pm E/9 pm C

15 Likes

I am going with that. Plus it is a great descriptor of what the deplorables have devolved into since 2016.

8 Likes

Except they only want the investigation of the attempts to invalidate the votes, not their claim of the election being stolen.

7 Likes

Yes, he’s in favor of voting rights legislation, so long as it doesn’t actually constrain what states are allowed to do.

5 Likes

“I don’t think Senator Manchin was surely fully on board with the supposed compromise. It was a compromise between the left and the far left … I like Joe Manchin, but I’m not driven by the Joe Manchin standard of whether something’s a good deal or not,” Blunt said. “This was clearly a federal takeover of elections. It was not doing things around the edges of elections that direct the country in a more significant way. And I’m opposed to it. There’s no right way to do the wrong thing.”

Asshole.

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available