Black GA Rep. Says Man Screamed To ‘Go Back Where You Came From’

Erica Thomas, a black Democratic state representative from Georgia, says she was grocery shopping with her nine-year-old daughter when a white man approached her, hurling slurs at her and telling her to “go back where you came from.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1236875

Was the man ugly, fat and orange with raccoon eyes and hate in his heart? No particular reason — just wondering.

33 Likes

So…where was the store manager?

12 Likes

Yup
Thanks Trump
A new Trump Norm
A new Catch phrase
The Bar lowered , through the ground, through the crust through the mantle, through the core and clear out the other side into interstellar space

18 Likes

Publix is cooperating with police.

17 Likes

I wonder whose ancestors came here first…

14 Likes

Aisle 4

25 Likes

Aah, yes. The Express Checkout Nazi strikes again. Of course he doesn’t have to tax his wits to come up with something reprehensible - the script was written a couple of days ago.

@sickneffintired Nice one! (And in the laundry aisle! Gotta keep those sheets extra white.)

24 Likes

To be fair, anyone who uses the express checkout lanes with too many items should be subject to summary execution (along with slow drivers in the passing lanes, ones who don’t use directionals, etc.).

22 Likes

Is this one of those diverse-o-phobics we were all urged to listen to and have compassion for earlier this decade?

How’d that turn out?

10 Likes

Except the article says that the legislator was nine months pregnant and could not stand for long periods of time. And she had her young child with her. So she should have been permitted to use the HOV lane.

25 Likes

Unless that’s in the terms on the express checkout lane, nope. We has rules for reasons.

7 Likes

Republicans love fetuses when it inconveniences the mother, not them. I mean, come on! This man probably has an abortion clinic he needs to get to in order to protest.

12 Likes

Frightening…

9 Likes

…or not.
Esposito:
From this day on, the official language of San Marcos will be Swedish. Silence! In addition to that, all citizens will be required to change their underwear every half-hour. Underwear will be worn on the outside so we can check. Furthermore, all children under 16 years old are now… 16 years old!
Fielding Mellish:
What’s the Spanish word for straitjacket?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be looking forward to this fall if I were a K-12 teacher. I’m sure this outrage will have filtered down through the families of the deplorables and will be repeated on the playgrounds and in class numerous times.

21 Likes

“Business-suit”

19 Likes

Reading this story on another site and the “yelling man” had already gone through the checkout. It wasn’t like he had to wait inline behind the Erica Thomas. She waited inline behind him.

And as for rules @castor_troy what can I say to the dog walkers that don’t have their dogs on a leash? I’ve harrumphed at them, I’ve glared, and I’ve run out of things to display my anger. I can handle yelling at that clods that pick up their dog’s shit, put in a baggie, and the leave it there, but dogs not on a leash I’ve got nothing.

4 Likes

The grocery stores around here don’t care at all if people have more items than the express sign allows. They want to keep the customers happy and not complaining because enough lanes aren’t open in the first place. :angry:

11 Likes

There’s something wrong here. Most stores now sign this as “about 10 (20, 30, whatever) items.” If you go through with one more, or you count several identical items as one. And the usual social stigma involves a dirty eye if there isn’t another checkout with a short line.

But, as suggested by the picture from sickneffintired above, he needed his extra-brightening Tide and concentrated Clorox bleach since he was already late to the evening’s cross burning and Trump re-election rally. And what with all of the red-colored embellishments on the robe, he has to find the color-fast stuff.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available