Biden Uses Republican Heckling To Strong-Arm Them Into Dropping Demands For Medicare, Social Security Cuts

I’ve long been a big fan of Biden and am glad he’s President but he is in fact a little doddering.

well I like stress and storm better than storm and stress.

Also Sturm und Drang was already taken

4 Likes

This particular event was striking and welcome; this was a master class in negotiating, a deal done in real-time using the national audience as witness and leverage. Joe just wedged Republicans in two parts and crowded out the radicals. Wow, so cool and so quick.

8 Likes

If anyone needs a visual example of a “Self Own” just play back the tape of MTG and Co. heckling Biden as he calls them out for the things they actually, provably said about cutting Medicare and SS. It is like they were jumping up and down on the “third rail” of U.S. politics as if nothing would happen.

And then, he hit them with the punch line.

9 Likes

You did, “bless her heart.”

1 Like

“All we Republicans want to do is pass a law requiring Congress to approve giving retirees back their money every five years. That way, we can shut down Social Security completely, and decide who to give the money to when it’s best for the American people.”

McCarthy will not criticize his “work wife” Marge. He has already acknowledged he will never let her go.

4 Likes

I think Joe actually likes it. He certainly seemed to enjoying himself last night. High energy and having fun.

5 Likes

It doesn’t. The entire party is a immune to shame. This embarrassment won’t phase them and soon enough they’ll be pushing the idea to the rubes again that it’s a good idea because it’ll hurt people their followers don’t like.

Biden, judo master.

Underestimated, under-appreciated judo master.

His bipartisan discourse isn’t senile naiveté, it’s patient studied clever positioning.

8 Likes

It is a rhetorical trap, no one thinks they’re “bound” but they have boxed themselves in

2 Likes

I listened. I agree with Josh, I’ve never seen one like it.

I always liked Bill’s speeches, long as they were, I never watched much of Trumps because they weren’t anything remotely suitable for a SOTU. Just hideous lies, hate, threats, and self gratification.

But this was different, for one, he talked to us, kept the de riguer laundry list to a minimum, and he actually engaged the chamber and played them for the fools they are.

He shoulda put on his aviators for the second half, would have driven them nuts!

Saw the start of Sanders thing. WTF was she talking about? I know they gotta fearmonger, but jeebus, I’m surprised split pea soup didn’t just projectile the whole time her piehole was open. That clip of Michelle Wolff at the Press Dinner? That was brutal, and absolutely true. I wonder if ALL the folks in Arkansas were proud of that speech?

4 Likes

I’m sure the ones that counted were.

Many of the folks in Arkansas don’t count, though.

3 Likes

I understand they were cast before her.

5 Likes

what do you mean by;doddering’…

lol, beware the QUIET MAN…

3 Likes

Sarah Huckabee Sanders’s affect when speaking has always seemed to me like the meanest, most pathologically judgy Sunday school teacher ever. Joyless, unattractive in more than the physical sense, motivated by something dark and extremely unpleasant under the surface. I was amazed to see the WH press corps rep rise so adamantly to her defense after Wolf’s jokes at the WHCD. Who knew she supposedly had a distinguished career as a communications professional before her gig snarling like a Doberman at anyone who dared ask the Trump administration a serious question? Talk about someone who dished it out every day but couldn’t take it her own smarmy self.

So now I just have to wonder what on earth is going on in Arkansas that they chose her governor? A lot of holy wars brewing there, maybe.

5 Likes

You know, doddering. From the Middle High German dodder, meaning “ass” and the Norman ringen, meaning “to kick”.

Example usages:

“He doddered the GOP up one side of the aisle and down the other.”

“Wow, that was a royal doddering he gave them.”

5 Likes

It was pretty brutal, because it was very direct and unvarnished.

All her “peers” at the time heard the ugly truth about Sanders. She would be first in line to smear rendered babies all over herself if it were offered as an aid to advancing her cause, first in line. And the likes of Peter Baker would be right there with her.

You sure that wasn’t Buggering?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available