Biden Uses Republican Heckling To Strong-Arm Them Into Dropping Demands For Medicare, Social Security Cuts

In the strongest moment of President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address, the President used Republican boos and jeers to veer off script and push members of the opposing party into backing off their long-discussed desire to cut Medicare and Social Security. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447682
1 Like

First. Let me work on that photo….

2 Likes

Welp, they fucked around, and they found out

37 Likes

I’m going to guess a large portion of the viewers are seniors and Biden asking to stand up seniors couldn’t be ignored lightly. It was a great catch-22 set up by Biden.

39 Likes

54 Likes

The GOP as Robin Ventura; Joe Biden as Nolan Ryan:

13 Likes

Why do these fools think they can challange the Operative? What part of 40 plus years in Congress do they not understand? They really have to stop believing their own bullsh*t. Joe don’t play that.

41 Likes

That is what comes from Biden’s many, many years of experience in Congress and as Vice-President. He knows how to wrangle those GQP suckers.

30 Likes

I’m not understanding the triumph here. Just because the GOP and its spokes people say something today why do we think that binds them in anyway regarding tomorrow?

4 Likes

It doesn’t of course but it’s on the record and can be used to remind voters that they said it; a minor point but a point none-the-less.

Other than that, binding others to rules they are not obligated to follow themselves is a deep conservative principle, indeed a critical element of the only rule they really follow, and that is a point worth bringing up from time to time too.

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time.” – Frank Wilhoit

27 Likes

cr

Cruella de Vil aka MGT really stepped into it.

24 Likes

Shouldn’t that be sturm und drang?

4 Likes

They’ve bought their own propaganda: government is bad, and experience in government is even worse. They’re predictable that way.

And so they were easy to set up.

I’m time-zone-shifted and completely eaten up by business travel this week, but good Lord that was masterful. I will treasure the memory of Kev McCardboard’s deer-in-headlights look for many years to come.

32 Likes

It was a wonderful master stroke. It was set up. Biden announced bipartisan legislative success after bipartisan legislative success mostly aimed at the districts of MTG and her MAGA cronies. Those successes are going to roll out over the coming months. There is going to be a lot of video of the MAGA crew sitting on their hands. That made them twitchy and set them up to act out, and they did on the threats to social security and Medicare. It is going to be next to impossible for them to threaten to trash America’s economy going forward without looking like small minded monsters.

Notice that Biden felt the pain of those burning with resentment showing that he was working hard to make their lives better. If only their representatives would get out of the way there is a real chance they will have the future they think Clinton and the “woke” Dems took from them.

I have a hunch the trashing the debt ceiling gambit died tonight. At least it is on life support.

34 Likes

May she continue to “step into it” and drown!

12 Likes

Step in it? She wallows in it. Rolls around in the muck while making pleased-with-herself grunting noises.

Not only did Joe expect (and count on) the heckling, he probably expected it from her.

28 Likes

Way to go, Brandon!

20 Likes

Biden used the moment to call BS what it is. MTG’s outburst just added fuel to the fire about who is running the GOP house. I expect news of her presenting her list of demands to McCarthy soon.

16 Likes

The GQP is still playing into the nonsense that Joe is a dottering old fool that can be pushed into doing whatever they demand.

Last night, they found out. He’s a formidable leader and quite in possession of his senses.

For all the world to see, too.

28 Likes

I hope you’re right, but people have notoriously short memories in this country. It’s a long time until September when the issue raises its head again.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available