Biden Unlikely To Announce VP Pick Until Second Week Of August | Talking Points Memo

Joe should ask The Onion to announce he’s asking comedian Sarah Cooper–

And yes, Dolt has stated he may ban TikTok in the US as early as today. :rofl:

21 Likes

Can you back that up with any kind of data pertaining to polls that have been taken about the veepstakes? In the polls I’ve seen, it has either been Harris or Warren at the top of the list.

1 Like

Oh man. She could beat on Trump like a rented mule and the way he’d inevitably respond would make everyone sick. Probably not the best choice but she’d make a hell of a surrogate at least.

17 Likes

Whether its the pandemic or the economy falling off the cliff, there’s nothing more important to Hair Furor then getting everyone to focus on stuff that is just a means to distract from his utter lack of leadership and failures.

Independents are down to 25% approval and 67% disapproval for tRump in a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll. He’s a goner if folks actually get out the vote…and those votes are actually counted.

29 Likes

I didn’t say anything about polls. The primary season could be seen as a form of a poll, though, couldn’t it? Any actual polls now are those name-recognition things that IMHO don’t mean much.

7 Likes

Democraticide?

28 Likes

What else is there, to back up the assertion?

Speaking of the 25th Amendment…

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1289358246541553664

2 Likes

download

How about - Put down the shovel on 11/3.

4 Likes

Me too. I think it’s been good for us to spend the summer discussing the achievements and potential of so many women - especially women of color.

Even in mid-summer we’re still getting new suggestions. There are a lot of talented women out there, which is good because there’s a metric f- ton of work to do and we need all the skilled politicians we can find.

I hope our summer of speculation has limbered up our minds a bit and we start promoting these women to leadership roles - committee chairs, governorships, cabinet secretaries, etc.

18 Likes

See my addition. And everything I’ve said is factual as it stands. I like her too, OK?

2 Likes

Clyburn was quoted as saying that the pick will come in the next 3 days or so, with the announcement at the end of next week. That lines up better with what Biden said in his presser earlier in the week.

As to the VP selection process thus far, I think Biden’s VP committee has done a poor job.

They have eliminated too many qualified people with whom Biden has history or a personal rapport. Demings, Duckworth, Bass have no history or rapport with Biden. Why are they finalists? How the f**k did Karen ‘I party with Fidel, Raul and L.Ron Hubbard’ Bass even make it this far??? Even Rice is someone with whom Biden doesn’t have that strong a relationship. The only ones really pushing for Rice are Obama and his inner circle. Congressional and down ballot Dems didn’t like Rice and were all set to line up behind Harris before the latest press boomlet trashing her and introducing Bass (which lasted all of 3 hours).

A more natural list of candidates for Biden based on qualifications, prior history and rapport would be: Harris, Whitmer, Bottoms, Klobuchar, Warren. Yet, only Harris is a confirmed finalist among those names. On top of that, there are elements within the Biden crew who don’t like Harris. Yet, she still remains a finalist. That’s bizarre. There’s no obligation to consider Harris or pick her, but generally speaking, there is a certain level of respect and decency accorded to those who are qualified but who are not vetted or chosen. You pick up the phone and call them and ask them to still help your campaign for the greater good. Things are handled professionally. No dirty laundry or back biting comes out. That’s clearly not happening here with Harris, so what gives?

Imho, every time Team Biden looks at a single alternative (rather than the entire field) to Harris she fares better by comparison. That seemed to happen when they floated Rice v Harris as the final two. Why does she fare better? Well, she’s the only one on the active list who has a number of the qualifications that prior VPs have had. She’s a Senator; she’s young; elected 3x statewide; she has executive experience; she has a national media profile; she’s a good fundraiser and her people have joined and helped Biden’s campaign; she has foreign and domestic policy experience that are relevant for this election cycle; she has substantial experience campaigning effectively for down ballot candidates; and she has good receipts with Latinos, black women and suburban voters who will be needed to win. That’s pretty straightforward. There isn’t another person identified as a finalist who has that combination of qualifications and experience. Duckworth is the only one elected statewide. That’s why Harris keeps floating back to the top of the list no matter how many times the ‘not Harris’ crew tries to knock her down.

Because of the VP selection committee’s failings, Biden now has to spend more time on this than he was hoping to, I suspect. That’s why the campaign carved out a bit of extra space on the calendar in case he needed extra time.

I think at this point Biden needs a ‘do no harm’ pick and that means no Bass and no to Warren. Anyone else is basically fine. If he wants the most qualified, it’s Harris. If he wants someone with good political skills with loyalty/history despite less experience, it’s Bottoms. If he wants to split the difference and do no harm, it’s Demings or Duckworth. If he wants to move away from a black VP nominee, but pick someone whom black voters would support, it’s Whitmer.

A lot will come down to the personal interviews that Biden has, and that’s probably as it should be. If I were Team Harris, I’d be speaking to Clyburn and Harry Reid (her team seems to be doing that) and no one else. In that meeting w/Biden, if I were her, I’d be prepared to address the issues the detractors have raised regarding last year’s debate in Miami and some of the other comments that have chafed them. Basically, I think Biden knows that he had to make a real mental adjustment to curb his own ambition when seeking the VP spot. He got shut down a few times by Team Obama for lobbying too hard for the job early on. He made his adjustments and won them over. He wants to see Harris do the same thing. What I think he wants to see is some acknowledgement of growth from the campaign, that she can make that mental adjustment that he did (btw, that didn’t stop Biden from making a lot of gaffes on the VP trail which drove Obama nuts, but he did enough and brought enough to the table where they were willing to work with him. He also delivered in his VP debates. Harris 2020 is far more disciplined than Biden was in 2008).

15 Likes

Trump “how many is a brazillion?”

7 Likes

In MA there would be a special election held within a couple months or so to replace Warren so that’s not as a big of a deal as you would think. And Governer Baker is a solid, truly old school “Northeast Republican” kind of guy. In the interrum I honestly could see him appointing a right flank Democrat, which is basically what he is himself. A McConnell led Senate really doesn’t align with his own politics at all so I just don’t see him thinking that’s a goal worth burning all his good will here in MA for.

Regardless, I think Warren is a bad choice for VP. She was my choice for the nomination, but she’s too old as Biden’s #2 and it really is the moment for the job to go to a person of color given that there are no shortage of excellent candidates to choose from on that front.

15 Likes

I have scandal fatigue. Is there a cure for that? I’m still waiting for him to get boxed into daily responding by the press for the killing of American soldiers in Afghanistan by Russian Taliban proxies who have been paid by Putin. Unfortunately, the press refuse to coordinate their focus on one awful thing he’s done by relentlessly sticking with it or confronting him. So like everything else, we move onto the next awful thing he’s done or refused to do to keep Americans safe and secure. Wash, rinse, repeat.

15 Likes

I think your calculation is out of context. The presidential campaign had its own dimensions. You could write an essay about it. We are talking here about Harris’s overall appeal in the Democratic Party. The veepstakes polls have shown her to be in as good a position as anyone, if not better. Warren is up there, but with Warren’s enhanced name recognition and having been under general attack in the public arena a bit longer, Warren’s negatives are somewhat higher. But to your original suggestion, there is really nothing in the data to suggest that Harris does not work quite well as a Veep for Biden. Or if there is, I haven’t seen it.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of Harris, but I think she’s fine. Bass—Castro fan? No thanks.
Rice has never been elected for anything. Isn’t she the Obama adviser who wrote an editorial implying that Hillary would use nuclear weapons if elected? And what’s with Rice and Rwanda?
I’d prefer Biden not pick any Obama leftovers . Obama represents a style which is far too cautious for the needs of today .

9 Likes

Pelosi’s questioning of this jerk gives me little comfort.

2 Likes

7 Likes

It’s a pressure cooker to be sure, but we’re able to see how the candidates handle that pressure. The main reason to delay as long as possible, is that we’re talking about the person who is very likely to be the next President of the United States, either because Joe doesn’t last the full term, or because they’ll be the front-runner going into the 2024 primary. And we don’t get to vote for this person!

It’s un-democratic in the extreme, that this choice is made by a single individual with no voter input. But it’s how the system works, and I want that person to be vetted to the nth degree before they’re chosen. The longer Biden waits, the more info can rise to the surface, like that Karen Bass event where she praised Scientology. It’s also good to force R’s to wait as long as possible to start their trashing of the VP candidate.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available