Biden Unlikely To Announce VP Pick Until Second Week Of August | Talking Points Memo

I don’t think he is wandering his house muttering to himself over this. Trump has had a miserable time attacking Biden, it just is not sticking it on landing. So the next opportunity is the VP pick. Waiting a bit longer is not going to hurt Biden, but it steals the opportunity to go hard on the VP from the Republicans early. In the meantime we are learning more of the various picks so nothing comes as a shock. Meanwhile back a the ranch, Trump himself is doing all the hard work for his opponent. Biden can chill for a bit.

34 Likes

I totally agree. The biggest problem is that Sen. Harris has become too much the presumptive candidate. If VP Biden doesn’t choose her he will now have to explain why. Drawing out the process might have made sense earlier on, but now it is just a distraction.

2 Likes

OT. “Do me a Brazilian … favor.”

24 Likes

Any one of the women under consideration are light years smarter and more capable than the current VP.

34 Likes

And none of them look and talk like an Indiana casket salesman.

26 Likes

OT, but does anybody know what steps the Dems are taking NOW to prevent or mitigate efforts to rig this election?

1 Like

18 Likes

In practice, the presidential nominee has considerable influence on the decision, and in the 20th century it became customary for that person to select a preferred running mate, who is then nominated and accepted by the convention. In recent years, with the presidential nomination usually being a foregone conclusion as the result of the primary process, the selection of a vice presidential candidate is often announced prior to the actual balloting for the presidential candidate, and sometimes before the beginning of the convention itself. The first presidential aspirant to announce his selection for vice president before the beginning of the convention was Ronald Reagan

5 Likes

Slightly O/T: I would love to see Susan Rice as Secretary of State in the new administration (rather than as VP).

18 Likes
26 Likes

Absolutely

4 Likes

Fascistic.

17 Likes

i’m not buying that logic. Trump is self-immolating quite nicely right now. don’t deflect from it. VP can wait a bit. Biden really does have a deep bench of great women options. keeping them in the picture longer helps get their name recognition up for the future. we need them!

29 Likes

So is my elderly poodle.

22 Likes

Trump’s payola to Putin…

11 Likes

I always loved how GHW Bush kept saying watch his pick, building some drama and then—Dan who?

14 Likes

Hahahaha. He’s totally fooled Mother. It’s the Orange Blob who he shouldn’t be left alone with.

9 Likes

yeah. poodles are smart. Pence is dense.

7 Likes

And another thing that doesn’t have a chance of succeeding as planned. But just to keep all those out there jonesing for team sports, just keep wishing upon that star and clicking your heels.

18 Likes

I was reading a Kathleen Parker op-ed this morning about the 3 presidents that spoke at John Lewis’ funeral. She described listening to these men speak as a “balm to the soul of America”. Someone posted in the comments that Obama was too political. Thus ignoring Barack’s explanation of the tone and topic of which he chose to honor Lewis, plus Parkers’ reiteration of why Obama spoke as he did.

21 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available