Biden To Tap Cindy McCain For Ambassadorship

Newsflash: she actively supported his policies and actions his entire career, which was her choice. If she did not she should have said that. If she’s a big peacenik now I’ve not heard about it.

1 Like

Yes, it’s silly.

2 Likes

Splitting the AZ GOP, on the other hand, is and should be.

17 Likes

Whatever John McCain did, he was far more responsible for it than his wife was.

No question.

Now compare Obama’s two appointees to this position, one a woman and the other a man.

1 Like

This ignores the fact that McCain himself explicitly defended Obama from racist accusations in a live town hall from an audience member.

When you consider all that transpired after the elections, it’s pretty obvious that any racism in the campaign was likely in spite of McCain.

17 Likes

OT

Murdoch’s News Corp accused of undermining democracy

Ex-Australia PM says media group is ‘most powerful political actor’ in country and has divided the US

The former Australian premier was invited to give evidence to a parliamentary inquiry launched after a petition calling for a probe into Murdoch’s media empire garnered 500,000 signatures.

“If you don’t think that is a threat to American democracy and undermining the strength and capability of our most important ally, then, you know, you are kidding yourself,” Turnbull told MPs.

https://www.ft.com/content/cc4db867-aab9-4667-b0b9-375d5070c699

17 Likes

Political wives, especially until the last 10 years or so, haven’t had much choice but to nod in agreement, sometimes even as they stood by as their husbands confessed to affairs. Whether or not she’s a big peacenik now, Joe supported some of those wars himself. Should he recuse himself from his own presidency?

14 Likes

Yes, he did that, and it was an honorable act.

(But it was his honorable act, not his wife’s, and we are reminded not to confuse the two.)

1 Like

I do not care about a “delightful fuck you to the Trumpists,” which is at about the same maturity/intelligence level as “owning the libs.” I don’t care what the Trumpists think about anything, nor do I factor their level of annoyance into my politics (and hopefully Joe Biden does not either).

The UN World Food Programme is a serious organization and the US should send serious people to interact with it. Cindy McCain is not a serious person, she is an heiress who supported her insanely hawkish husband (this is not trivial! the UNWFP has helped people in places the US has gone to war, e.g. Afghanistan) his entire political career, including during 2008 when he and his VP were whipping up racist crowds that later formed Trump’s base. Sorry, I’m not giving her a friendly nod and a “that’s okay” for that time period when she chose to pursue power for her family by cultivating bigots. She doesn’t deserve any reward or position or anything like that, no matter how small or “not a real job” it might be, particularly when (predictably) most Democrats think it’s great not because she is good for the role, but because it makes them happy because they think Republicans are being trolled (I honestly doubt they give a damn or are even aware of it). It remains deeply disappointing how much supposedly intelligent liberals/progressives delight in the same childish crap that conservatives do. Cindy McCain is bad and shouldn’t work for Joe Biden’s government–this shit is not complicated.

2 Likes

Simple statement, yet seemingly unintelligible to some very smart persons.

2 Likes

“Help me Obi-Ron Reagan!”

2 Likes

I’ll never second guess Joe Biden, not at this stage. He’s shown more political savvy than exists in the entire GQP,
He is doing nothing at this point that is not carefully considered.
Besides, he and the McCains have always been on good terms, and she endorsed him. She’s pretty sharp herself. Makes sense on many levels.

6 Likes

Brilliant!!!

1 Like

And apparently there is more to her than just being a bored rich political wife.

From wiki:

Hensley enrolled at the University of Southern California.[16] She joined Kappa Alpha Theta sorority as a freshman,[10][17] and had many leadership roles in the house during her four years there.[16] Hensley graduated as a Bachelor of Arts in education in 1976.[2][16] She continued on at USC, and received a Master of Arts degree in special education in 1978.[2][8] There she participated in a movement therapy pilot program that laid the way for a standard treatment for children with severe disabilities;[18] she published the work Movement Therapy: A Possible Approach in 1978.[19] Declining a role in the family business,[20] she worked for a year as a special education teacher of children with Down syndrome and other disabilities at Agua Fria High School in Avondale, Arizona.[8][3][13][18]

In 1988, inspired by a vacation that she took four years earlier to substandard medical facilities on Truk Lagoon,[13][36] McCain founded the American Voluntary Medical Team (AVMT).[2] It was a non-profit organization that organized trips for doctors, nurses and other medical personnel to provide MASH-like emergency medical care to disaster-struck or war-torn developing countries such as Micronesia, Vietnam (before relations were normalized between them and the U.S.[36]), Kuwait (arriving five days after the conclusion of the Gulf War[36]), Zaire (to help refugees from the Rwandan genocide[34]), Iraq, Nicaragua, India, Bangladesh, and El Salvador.[9][37][38][39][40] She led 55 of these missions over the next seven years,[18] each of which were at least two weeks in duration.[40] AVMT also supplied treatment to poor sick children around the world.[41] In 1993, McCain and the AVMT were honored with an award from Food for the Hungry.[9]

In 1991, the AVMT went to Dhaka, Bangladesh, to provide assistance following the 1991 Bangladesh cyclone.[38] While at Mother Teresa’s Dhaka orphanage, the Sisters of Charity of Mother Teresa Children’s Home,[42] McCain met two infant girls she felt needed to be brought to the United States for medical treatment.[24] She decided to adopt one of the girls, later named Bridget, with her husband readily agreeing;[9] the adoption became final in 1993.[43] She helped coordinate the adoption of the other little girl for family friend Wes Gullett.[[9]](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cindy_McCain#cite_note-salon-tapper-

She expressed support for LGBT rights by appearing alongside her daughter Meghan at an April 2009 convention of the Log Cabin Republicans,[103] and posing for the NOH8 Campaign, a gay rights project opposed to California Proposition 8, a ballot measure banning same-sex marriage.[104] The following year she appeared in another NOH8 public service announcement against bullying, and in it appeared to break with her husband’s position and express support for repeal of the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy prohibiting gays from serving openly in the U.S. military.[105] However, she subsequently tweeted that “I fully support the NOH8 campaign and all it stands for and am proud to be a part of it. But I stand by my husband’s stance on DADT.”[106])

12 Likes

Her stylist really, really hates her.

4 Likes

I certainly hope Joe Biden reverses his earlier hawkish stances, absolutely yes. He already made some progress with respect to his statements on Yemen (where the Obama admin’s policy created a catastrophe) but he needs to do a lot more and frankly I’m not hopeful. (I’ve been pretty happy with Biden on the domestic front where he’s steered pretty far to the left, for him, but foreign affairs is more of a concern.)

Ironically, I’m giving a lot more agency and power to Cindy McCain and “political wives” (to me that’s a really sexist phrase but okay) here than you are here. They have had a choice! They can do whatever they want! I don’t doubt for a second that Cindy McCain is a strong and reasonably smart woman who makes her own choices. To take a totally different, personal example, my wife and I are both very political people and both very on the left. If I suddenly ran for office as a centrist Democrat (this won’t happen!) she definitely would not support me, because she has her own views and expresses/sticks by them. If Cindy McCain was upset when her husband advocated war with Iraq, and Iran, and most everyone else, and then chose a racist incompetent as a VP nom to help him run a racist campaign against Obama, she could have just said so, or left him, or certainly not gone out to campaign with him. She did not do those things, and supported his entire political career while staying married to him, so I conclude she largely shares her husbands beliefs, and I don’t want racist hawkish reactionaries occupying even somewhat tokenized foreign policy positions in the Biden administration because I’m just weird like that.

1 Like

What do you think 2008 you would say to 2021 you after reading you caping for Cindy McCain? Seriously bizarre to talk about how awesome a billionaire heiress spouse of a deeply reactionary politician is.

1 Like

This should be written down somewhere so we see it.

8 Likes

Megan McCain will lead by example.

3 Likes

Well then let the special elections start, to fill all those recently vacated positions in the AZ legislature.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available