Biden To Deliver State Of The Union To Divided Congress – TPM – Talking Points Memo

President Joe Biden will deliver his third State of the Union Tuesday, and his first without a Democratic trifecta. That difficult legislative reality may affect how ambitious he can be in his speech, with the White House previewing an emphasis on tackling cancer, mental health problems and veteran care rather than hot-button Democratic priorities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1447471

I am sure Joe will do just fine.

Meanwhile, providing the counter point, Sara Huckabee. If that is their best foot forward, please play through.

39 Likes

I hope he highlights his accomplishments in as many ways as possible with concrete examples.

18 Likes

Using a threat to popular programs “as a cudgel” only works if you’re brandishing it at someone who perceives it as a cudgel. But since acting on the threat would only injure the GOP, it isn’t really “as a cudgel” as much as “as a limp noodle with a yellow tag that says ‘cudgel’ on it.”

6 Likes

Biden needs to aggressively paint republicans as deadbeats who want to run out on bills and ruin the country’s credit rating so they can renegotiate laws and spending that have already been approved.

That’s not how this works and President Biden needs to explain it to them like they’re preschoolers. He’s too classy to do it, but I wish he’d mention how some republican members of the House had to have the difference between the debt ceiling a government shutdown explained to them. This is what we’re working with.

14 Likes

Biden has the most domestic and international successes of any administration in more than fifty years and I hope he makes the most of them tonight.

17 Likes

I used to think it would be a good idea for Santos to stay in office to show the utter shamelessness and incompetency of the GQP. Now we see MTG telling Santos, “Hold my beer.”

7 Likes

Biden’s speech tonight will be to the American people and to them the threat by Republicans to take away their health care and retirement matters.

18 Likes

He could say, "well I am sure the American people understand this, but to members in this body, …

4 Likes

That balloon has more brains than Empty G does.

10 Likes

It’s strange to see a clown standing there with a balloon and no makeup.

14 Likes

Go Joe

8 Likes

180 pounds of shit in a 180 pound bag.

23 Likes

MTG is a creative genius! A white balloon, who would have thought of that?!?!

13 Likes

Might want to think twice about that. We know what Biden is capable of doing to unauthorized balloons.

30 Likes

Further proof that clowns are scary, not fun.

8 Likes

State of the Union addresses.

We’ve got the famous “you lie!” and heckling by, again, Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) and her now-frenemy Lauren Boebert (R-CO) in the vault. We’ll see if any antics will join that Hall of Fame tonight. For now — condolences to whoever has the seat behind Greene’s balloon.

I hope someone brings an AR-15 pin.

7 Likes

That people like her think she has any path going forward, with a christian school education, are delusional to the nth degree. And she’s never going to get better looking.

5 Likes

I haven’t watched a SOTU address in years. You guys post some highlights later for me.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available