Biden Takes Aim At Felon Trump And Out-of-Control Supreme Court

Hardly: Dumbest. Update. Ever.

Zero prompts, no indications we’ve not had a million times when the site was down anyways, and a happy update on the front page that everything was “fixed”.

I can only think they intended that in the way my dogs find quite scary to contemplate.

2 Likes

Yup, gotta say that the IT management stuff here leaves something to be desired. Speaking as someone who does this for a living, we could have done with a lot more communications and monitoring of the cutover. In one of Josh’s early postings he mentions a note we all should have received that I most definitely did not get telling us it was coming.

My first notice was a comment by someone who did get the note (or heard through another channel) literally a few hours before it hit, and after seeing Josh’s perky “It’s all good now” note I tried several times to log in throughout the day without success. I’ll admit that I actually anticipated it going belly up, so wasn’t really trying all that hard until I managed to get a partial list of new articles with a line from @kelaine indicating that clearing browser cookies was in order. Strangely, once I did that on my laptop, the browser on my phone started working, even though I never cleared the cookies on the phone… :roll_eyes:

Oh well, I’ve never come here for the examples of how to run a major social media site, I’m here for the commentators (and the novel recipes for adding pineapple to, well, you know what…)

Now to the “GOP Whitewashing Jan. 6th” thread - it has 793 unread posts to clear before I can go to bed! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Is that okra just inside the foreground fence?

1 Like

I am finally IN so I am now a happy camper.

5 Likes

“DELETE cookies?!? Me like to EAT cookies!”

9 Likes

Tomatoes.

Here we have everyone’s favorite…cilantro !!!

7 Likes

And here I was having a long discussion with the wife on baked goods and which types cause distress and which do not. And then someone has to lob a cilantro bomb into the evening.

7 Likes

Ditto for me on Win 11 w/ Firefox. Plus I didn’t have to let the scumsuckers at Google track me.

2 Likes

I’ll admit, at first I read that as the IT management staff here. Then realized same difference this time.

Do you suppose anyone as ever talked to them about that? I never got the “this is coming” email. And after announcing it was “fixed”, and I finally got the “magic link” email, it brought me over and said it was signing me in via that magic link, then took me to the regular sign in page, where it didn’t recognize my password anyway (of course).

As far as the updates, I hope they aren’t considering them “improvements”. I’m hoping to find the instructions on collapsing the side bar, and a graphic of how the “quote post” options have changed.

I spent six years in IT. It would have been much shorter if something like this happened.

2 Likes

I think you can toggle it open and closed with the hamburger icon (three horizontal bars) just to left of The Hive logo.

I think it’s basically the same, at least for just “Quote”. I assume the “copy” just pastes it to your clipboard so you can put in a longer document and then paste the whole thing into a reply. It still automatically puts in the user’s name and indents it and so one, just like before.

Other than the billiard-ball bounce of avatars as you scroll, and notifications being separated into replies, likes, and badges, it seems to work pretty much the same for me except a little more responsive. I suspect most of changes weren’t UI, but back end so threads wouldn’t crash when we all get agitated and try to post at the same time.

We’ll get a test of the “gateway error” issue soon enough, as the Supreme Court issues its rulings.

5 Likes

Are there no new posts? How can this be, after a weekend of no comments?

After some rejigging there are all sorts of issues with the site. Stay tuned, the fix is near.

1 Like

Who else needs a place to smoke cigars in the Hive? Where else can we create bonds? I demand there be a thread for this issue.

2 Likes

After 28 years in IT rolling out more than a dozen implementations, I suggest that the testing of the upgrade was minimal, if at all. This has all the markings of insufficient testing. Testing costs money and this seems like it was a hurry-up roll out.

2 Likes

Just click the cheeseburger menu (the three bar menu) on the upper left side of your screen. Voila! That’s all you got to do.

6 Likes

I’m old and don’t like change!

11 Likes

“…low-security prison in Danbury, Connecticut, is — it is a place where there can be violent offenders in the prison facility, as well. It is certainly not where Steve Bannon wanted to go.”

“And the other thing we know about this, Jake, is that his lawyers are trying to keep him out of prison, going to appeals courts, and they have even said in recent court filings that one of the reasons he should not have to go to prison this summer is because millions of Americans are looking to him for information on campaign issues, and that it will bar him from being a meaningful adviser in the ongoing national presidential campaign”

===
I can’t think of a better reason to put him in prison.

6 Likes

My phone is asking me to install Discourse.

Do I have to?

1 Like

Tastes like soap. Blech.

1 Like

I would suggest lawn darts.

4 Likes