Biden Says He Doesn’t Actually Know What Hunter Did In Ukraine: ‘I Trust My Son’ | Talking Points Memo

Former Vice President Joe Biden grew defensive during an interview with Axios that aired Sunday evening, calling out reporter Mike Allen for asking about the allegations against his son and admitting he doesn’t actually know what Hunter Biden was doing to earn money on the board of an energy company in Ukraine.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1267142

This just doesn’t seem like a good look for Joe.

7 Likes

He needs a better answer than that. Biden is not prepared for getting the Clinton treatment from the media.

11 Likes

Sorry Joe, but if you don’t think this introduces an ‘appearance of a conflict of interest’ you are not fit to be president.

5 Likes

“No, because I trust my son,” he said.

Your son was kicked out of the military for a failed drug test. Hunter at one time was embroiled in a paternity dispute with a woman not his wife.

And this, courtesy Wiki:

Biden helped Chinese businessman Ye Jianming negotiate a deal for Ye’s company CEFC China Energy to make a $40 million investment in a liquefied natural gas project at Monkey Island, Louisiana. Ye gifted Biden a 2.8 carat diamond, which Biden said he gave away. Biden agreed to legally represent Ye’s deputy, Patrick Ho, for investigations in the United States. Ho was eventually arrested and jailed in the U.S. for bribery. In 2018, the CEFC deal collapsed after Ye was detained in China, reportedly for corruption.

He gave away a 2.8 carat diamond. Didn’t sell it and donate the proceeds to charity. Just gave it away. Uh huh. Seems legit.

He’ll have a great second act selling bridges that go to nowhere I’m betting.

And Joe trusts him.

Color me unconvinced.

7 Likes

Before everyone gets on the high horse, how many people out there know the ins and outs of the jobs of their adult kids.

8 Likes

OT: Trump’s a trooper in the War Against Christmas… on THE WRONG SIDE! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :sunny: :slight_smile: :open_mouth:. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/dec/09/trump-trade-war-creates-nightmare-before-christmas-for-us-toy-makers

2 Likes

Pathetic! “I trust my son.” Sorry! Not good enough when you’re the Vice President of the United States of America. We’ve already got a compulsive liar in the White House; we don’t need another.

(And now you know why Joe’s last two campaigns for president went nowhere. He may have been able to gladhand his way across tiny Delaware, with it’s notorious political machine backing him up, and be cynically used by Barack Obama to shore up the only slightly racist demographic, but if he is the nominee we are toast for another decade, as his Negative Coattails lead to the wholesale slaughter of Democrats down-ballot and Republican’t lock up redistricting and then draw Democrats out of existence…)

2 Likes

I watched my son earn two Doctorates and a Masters, it was a lot of work, for both of us. Now he heads up the intellectual property and patent division of a prestigious law firm. I feel invested in his success, and we talk often about his work, his struggles, the pressure, what juggling family and job are like.

If you’re not close enough to your children to occasionally speak with them about what they’re doing for a living, and with their life, it speaks volumes about your relationship with them.

5 Likes

Biden’s problem is that he’s really terrible at this. He’s never said or done anything regarding this matter that hasn’t made it look worse. Of course there’s no there there with the Hunter Biden story, but Joe Biden always manages to address it in a way that makes it look like he’s hiding something.

As I’ve said many times before, Joe Biden would be the worst possible candidate the Democrats could run. He’d be worse than Mondale, Humphrey, Hillary Clinton, Dukakis and Kerry combined. If anyone could lose to Trump, he could.

Edit: spelling

8 Likes

That’s why I fear another shoe will drop with Hunter and Joe Biden once he’s our candidate. They will most likely wait until two weeks before the election for the most damaging shit.
They just both seem to think everything they do is wonderful, ethical and legal because he’s been a Senator for so long and they’re Bidens.
Can’t help but feel there’s more out there.

5 Likes

Whatever he did pre Burisma, is different from what’s now being addressed. Unless there’s proof that Biden did more than influence peddling (and that might be the one thing to be concerned about), then he’s innocent.

2 Likes

Trust me, it could look a LOT worse if Biden said that he knew a lot of the details of his son’s work. Those of you who are criticizing Joe aren’t thinking this through, in my opinion.

2 Likes

k

1 Like

I do believe Biden could do better at messaging, and that failure to do so demonstrates his weakness as a candidate. From very early on, I wrote that I didn’t expect Biden to succeed, because he is a terrible campaigner.

4 Likes

Who do you think should be the Democratic nominee in 2020?

1 Like

The media is going to use Hunter Biden the way they used emails and Benghazi to torpedo Hillary. I think we need a different candidate.

9 Likes

Me thinks Joe needs to shuteth-his-trap: No need to answer about the goings-on of his adult son.

1 Like

You didn’t ask me, but my outsider pick is Klobuchar—purely by process of elimination. It won’t be Warren, or Sanders; Biden is likely to tank, as usual; Buttigieg is looking really bad these last two weeks. That leaves…
I think Amy K has the profile which could win, and they say she is smart and tough as heck.

3 Likes

Who is that different candidate?

Buttigieg? He has McKinsey to address

Warren? She has supposed image issues to address.

Booker and Castro might not make December’s stage and that’s a bad image in the making.

So who?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available