Biden Doesn’t Spare Manchin, Sinema In Reconciliation Remarks | Talking Points Memo

During a Thursday night CNN town hall, President Joe Biden was fairly candid about the pieces of his Build Back Better plan that have crashed up against Democratic opposition — namely, opposition from Sens. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ). Biden was not coy about pointing fingers as he explained how Manchin doomed parts of his climate push, or how Sinema is blocking tax hikes on the rich and corporations.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391828

Biden is just about done with coddling either of them.

28 Likes

Yup, sounds like he’s hit the wall with them.

12 Likes

Thank you for reporting closely on the town hall; Leven mention of it is rare on any news site. Biden is candid and upfront. He’s essentially letting everyone know that Democrats need more and better Senators…

21 Likes

My instinct would be to clobber them; to run viciously truthful ads about the harm they are doing; and call them names; and rally and organize their home state critics.

But my experience is that my instincts are not always great strategy. If anyone can torturously slow shmooz them into working for the people’s interests instead of the money interests trying to sabotage BBB, it is Joe Biden.

I don’t have the patience for that. Joe may finally be losing his patience.

We will see.

19 Likes

If Biden isn’t going to kiss Manchinema’s corrupt entitled asses during a town hall on national TV, I have a feeling he has something up his sleeve. If he doesn’t give a flying fuck about pissing them off he must be ready to bring down some kind of leveraging hammer.

16 Likes

“She’s smart as the devil,”

I’d remove 2 words from that sentence.

18 Likes

Manchin and Sinema have painted themselves as toddlers trying to get the attention of daddy (Biden).

I’m sick and tired of this child’s play and I hope Biden puts them in the corner for bad behavior.

11 Likes

Breaking: Biden brings down Trump’s record-setting deficit by $360 billion in one year.

30 Likes

Bingo. He was in the Senate, and then in the VPOTUS office, for a long time, and he knows most of these motherfuckers in ways they don’t even know themselves.

10 Likes

I can’t find it. Where did you find out? Thanks.

The Biden administration said Friday that the 2021 deficit, for the budget year that ended Sept. 30 was $360 billion lower than 2020 as a recovering economy boosted revenues, helping to offset government spending from pandemic relief efforts.

24 Likes

Twitter but now I can’t find the source.

From your mouth to god’s ear…

4 Likes

Breaking: Biden brings down Trump’s record-setting deficit by $360 billion in one year.

Now go sell it this weekend - you senators and House reps. Sell, sell, sell! And when Chuck Todd starts his question with (like the AP did) , “it’s the second highest on record …”, cut him off!

10 Likes

Hopefully, the rotisserie is next.

7 Likes

I strongly suspect that Sinema has been compromised by the Russians. I say this because she was once a member of the Green Party, which has been little more than a front for Russian propaganda for years, along with her current rather bizarre behavior.

Her actions don’t appear to be about accomplishing any specific goals outside of sabotaging the Democrats from within. She’s losing a lot of political support for her actions, which makes me suspect she doesn’t care who supports her. She’s acting a bit like someone who just wants to burn it all down.

2 Likes

I’m tired of the BeltWay Boys, folks like the NYT and Seven Figure “questioners” of their Gated Community neighbors.

Standing in the way of getting needed information to the public.

10 Likes

OT. Thank you Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Mr. Breyer please resign by the end of the year.

2 Likes

With Manchema, you sure?

May not get a replacement for a few years.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available