Biden Delivers High-Pressure State Of The Union To Kick Off General Election – TPM – Talking Points Memo

President Joe Biden delivers his most important State of the Union address yet on Thursday, both a rare chance to reach many millions of voters and to bat back concerns about his age and vitality that have received considerable media attention. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482739

60 Likes

I truly hope this is not only a touting of his accomplishments, which I’m big enough to admit that he’s exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds, but may he be sharp, on point and no verbal gaffes that our broken Fourth Estate pounces on. More, I would like a scathing rebuke of the orange d!ckface (sorry, my New Jersey can no longer contain my disdain for a man I wouldn’t urinate on if he were on fire. I’ve censored it as far as I’m willing to go.) and what may become of the Great Experiment should orange sh!tstain be re-elected.

47 Likes

Irony is dead.

“ The Texas woman who gained national attention after she sued to end her nonviable pregnancy will be among the guests of first lady Jill Biden.”

Q. Why is it the party (GOP) which vociferously claims to be the party of small government is the one that attempts to dictate what people must do in such awful situations, which should be between a woman and her doctor, where not only a woman’s life but also her ability to have children in the future and put in harm’s way?

A. The party and its position are hypocritical.

31 Likes

I still sniff glue. And I’m not quittin’ today.

Hello, is this thing on?
Civilance
Civilance

I like Scotch. Scotch scotchety scotch.

Roger, Maverick.

12 Likes

This is quite a shock to see on TPM, where we engage only in polite and organized debate.

ETA: Meant to add, I’m sure Biden will give the fuckwit his due.

24 Likes

If it weren’t for hypocrisy, double standards and cognitive dissonance, repubs would have nothing at all.

29 Likes

Well, come to think of it, maybe irony isn’t completely dead.

“ Republicans Target Youth In Selecting Rebuttal Speaker

Sen. Katie Britt (R-AL), the former chief of staff for retired Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL), will deliver the rebuttal.”

That is the Shelby in Shelby v Holder, with which Chief ‘justice’ John Roberts, and the other four Republicans, used to gut the Voting Rights Act 5-4 (which forbade states with a history of suppressing the Black vote from suppressing the Black vote.). Roberts had despised the voting Rights Act since his days as a law clerk, and he finally got a chance to impose his deeply held personal belief on the country.

19 Likes

That’s not entirely correct. They still have visceral hatred of anything different fueling their actions.

22 Likes

“Republicans Target Youth In Selecting Rebuttal Speaker.”

Good luck with that.

The rebuttal is a tradition that I am fundamentally opposed to. I understand the concept of equal time, but these sorts of regulatory requirements of broadcasters don’t really apply today. It makes no sense to treat our politics like a baseball game, especially when the point at the state of the Union is to outline the goals for the union, not for the Democratic party or Republican party.

21 Likes

I think ‘small government’ refers to regulation of certain domains; like
(a) like their donors industry and its ambitions,
(b) like who can eat in their lunch counter,
© like who goes to school with their children,
(d) like who can drink from the same water fountain as them.
These, and similar matters, must be freed from ‘big government’s’ interference and instead turned over to the states, which will then be free to put their fingers into everyone’s life to their blackened heart’s content.
By the same token, other states must be prevented from passing laws that might interfere with the freedoms and regulations enjoyed by citizens and industries in the core ‘states rights’ states; so, it gets complicated.
But, it’s still small government, by some measure.

15 Likes

Which begs the question: when will dems take on the monikers of Law and Order party, and mebe Party of Freedom And Democracy?

6 Likes

Fingers crossed he impugns the parentage and morals of the hecklers. Something along the lines of ‘why don’t you take your fat cracker ass back to some failed state and tell your mama she aint shit, ya snakehandling son of a bitch’.

6 Likes

When they can afford media conglomerates, methinks.

This is Rich vs Poor.

2 Likes

Nobody told her about the Curse?

33 Likes

When you said targeting youth I thought you meant the other thing. You know, with guns. Or sexually.

Absolutely illogical to imagine the youth going for them, other than exciting gangs they can join to hunt Mexicans.

4 Likes

Are youth going to tune in to the Republican response?

13 Likes

not at all or only those at religious colleges.

5 Likes

They’re not even going to tune in for the SOTU.

20 Likes

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available