Biden Delivers High-Pressure State Of The Union To Kick Off General Election – TPM – Talking Points Memo

I want him to remind us what it means to be Americans, and what the blessing of citizenship demands of us.

In an electrifying speech to honor the Athenian war dead during the grueling Peloponnesian War against Sparta, the Athenian leader Pericles said, “Our form of government is called a democracy because its administration is in the hands, not of a few, but of the whole people. In the settling of private disputes, everyone is equal before the law. Election to public office is made on the basis of ability, not on the basis of membership to a particular class. No man is kept out of public office by the obscurity of his social standing because of his poverty, as long as he wishes to be of service to the state. And not only in our public life are we free and open, but a sense of freedom regulates our day-to-day life with each other.”

I hope he can also communicate the mounting stakes, how the fate of this country, and this world, hangs in the balance.

In the immortal words of Pericles, “The strongest are those who understand with perfect clarity what is terrible in life and what is sweet, and then go out undeterred to confront danger.”

Today, we are all Athenians.

36 Likes

Ah, queridos amigos, let us engage in writing tomorrow’s headlines, today:

“Biden Delivers Sharp Speech, But Questions Linger.”
“Was Biden Speech Too Divisive?”

33 Likes

Because it is the Party that very few people control.

5 Likes

Biden has done this many, many times. The fact is that the Media Whores do their best to neutralize it all and given the attention span of the public (and the fact that no one really watches the SOTU), it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

We’re more like Melians than Athenians.

7 Likes

The sad reality is Biden is making a serious effort to revitalize rural communities with his industrial policies, but gets no credit, while Trump did nothing for them and will get something like 80 percent of their votes. :man_shrugging:

34 Likes
34 Likes

Thank you for this. I truly appreciate the live blog/thread. You watch, so I don’t have to. Gratefully indebted to TPM for taking the blows for me.

10 Likes

“Biden lashes out at MAGA in the State of the Union!

but this focus group of Modesto Charismatics aren’t impressed”

25 Likes

Yeah, She’s gonna go all in howler monkey.

24 Likes

POTUS has to go out and give the greatest SOTU of all time because these non-cult fence-sitting idiots don’t understand what could happen, apparently. But obviously these same idiots won’t pay attention to the SOTU anyway, because if they paid attention to anything they’d know that the fire is burning right outside their damn doors. I want Biden to say extreme stuff, call people names and threaten to rip the balls off anyone who gives aid to our enemies. If it’s off the hook enough maybe it will get into whatever cute dancing cartoon feeds these assholes are spending their time watching instead of paying attention to real events.

7 Likes

“Trump Says Biden Speech ‘Stunk’”
“Donald Trump Tweets Throughout SoTU”
“Trump Tweets Get 1 million ‘Likes’”

16 Likes

30 Likes

But will she once again wear that snazzy fur-trimmed bathrobe and bunny slippers that was such a hit at the last SoTU? Or maybe borrow some of Sinema’s frocks?

14 Likes

If she really wants to make an impression, she can sport an Emma Peel catsuit.

14 Likes

How Biden’s SOTU Complicates His Race for Reelection

14 Likes

BREAKING: Judge Kaplan has denied Trump’s motion for a temporary stay. He has just days to put up the appeal bond money. Story …
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1765870943019164127?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

He doesn’t have the money.

50 Likes

Now THAT is something I can fully get behind. Israel’s embargoes are a fucking crime against humanity.

15 Likes

NYTPitchBot: Old man with poor memory fumbles through big speech.

13 Likes

Opinion | Biden must use his speech to announce his immediate resignation!

16 Likes

“Yesterday, I tell you, yesterday!”

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available