Ben Ginsberg Issues Warning To Fellow Republicans About Law Governing Electoral Count | Talking Points Memo

Strong and appropriate reaction vs. overreaction, or worse, just shutting down and giving up.

When your enemy is weak, they often resort to mind tricks and bluffing and playing you off each other.

1 Like

No, I am not considering that. That kind of belittling, stereotyping insult is why Alex Jones can get people riled up about “coastal elites.” And, of course, it’s completely anti-productive in persuasion.

Seriously, would you buy anything from someone who started by saying, “Oh, I see you live in Manhattan, you must be some kind of liberal weirdo freak.”

One of the things that very much disappointed me about Pres Obama (who overall I did and do like and respect) was removing Howard Dean as Chairman of the Democratic Party. The 50-state strategy worked.

1 Like

You seem to be under the impression that there’s something Dems could offer up to people who have proven by their voting records and policing that they are very much bigots. If you think you have some magical solution to form a coalition with such people, we’re all ears. But if you look at just CA where those “coastal elites” live, you’ll see a big red patch in the “rural areas” that has given us people like Nunes and McCarthy…repeatedly.

Yes, but they aren’t interested in the possibility that they don’t win they way they think they deserve to…there’s now a real religious belief among many Republicans that this is a holy war and only they deserve to rule the land. It goes against the idea that the Democrats have any right to win elections, which easily feeds into the narrative that any Democrat that wins must have cheated. Most of the voting laws and maneuvering is way below the point that people notice, so the average Republican doesn’t realize they are the ones doing the cheating.

The only things they like better are helpful comments like these:

IF they don’t change the law, the way the law is written or interpreted is that the VICE PRESIDENT determines what electoral votes that are ‘acceptable’ to that VP.

So Kamala could (COULD) say, Texas redistricting map is/was illegal in so many ways, I won’t allow Texas’ EV into the count. She ‘could’ say, I am only going to allow EVs from NY, ILL, CALIF and Hawaii. The law says it’s the votes of all the allowable states, and at the time we did not have FIFTY states so I don’t know (38 states, Hayes 21 states, Tilden 17 AND Tilden the Dem won the popular vote by 3%! and Hayes the EV 185 to 184) how they worked it out (GOP Senate, DEM House).

But according to Eastman the VP is the sole determiner IF a state’s EVs should COUNT. The VP determines if each state’s election was kosher.

Wow, YOU BE HARSH, sniffit.

He ‘did’ win in 2016.

Saying he ‘can’t’ was the problem with had in 2016. NOBODY believed it.

Fooled me for a few minutes too.

1 Like

Or at least everything we need to know (though we know it already) about the GQP…

Breaking: Mount Stupid reaches new record altitude…

2 Likes

None of that is accurate.

1 Like

As far as we know, everything is infinite  : - )

In four years we’ve gone from “Make America Great Again” to “Steal It”.

Speaking of which, I’m surprised how little I’ve heard pundits punditing on conservative gangs rushing stores.

1 Like

And everyone’s packing heat.

I saw some stats that in the United Kingdom, there’s 4 guns per 100,000 people. (We’ve got like hundreds per hundred thousand).

The UK’s had no gun deaths in the year.

1 Like

Friggin’ madness. I’ve been in the Army, but never owned a gun. Never needed one.

3 Likes

The “Disneyfication” of predominantly white suburbs and exurbs and more broadly our culture and society has accelerated this, giving us millions of relatively well-off whites who’ve spent their entire lives living in mostly white and white bread enclaves with little cultural or ethnic diversity, making them see the world in culturally and ethnically provincial and parochial ways and fostering an us vs. them paranoia and tribalism that puts them squarely in the GOP camp, which obviously fosters and exploits these fears and worldviews. And big corporations have had a lot to do with this, creating a culturally sterile, homogeneous and hyper-materialistic reality where your views are reinforced and rarely challenged and life is all about creature comforts and a stress-free existence, where anything different or challenging is seen as a threat. Not just Disney but Starbucks, Applebee’s, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. The banality of our brand of capitalism has a very strong RW and racist bias, whether it’s meant to or not. It superficially “celebrates” diversity while in reality tries its best to stamp it out, because it threatens the bottom line. You can’t just blame the GOP or a history of racism for this. It’s our very way of life that’s done this, chiefly its economic part.

What about all those “bad guys” with guns who are always out to get you–and those black helicopters and jackboots?

I joined up, hoping to get my own helicopter. No such luck, Just a T shirt.

1 Like

Be lucky you got the shirt. Did it say “This t-shirt kills fascists”?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available