Bannon Seeks Delay Of Contempt Trial Over Publicity Of Jan. 6 Hearings

Former Trump White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is seeking a postponement of his trial scheduled next month in the contempt charges the Justice Department brought against him last year for failing to cooperate with the Jan. 6 Select Committee’s investigation, citing the publicity that the panel’s public hearings this month have generated.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1422114
1 Like

FIRst! 111

6 Likes

Lock him up!

23 Likes

In a court filing Wednesday, Bannon’s attorneys are asking that his criminal trial be delayed until at least October, arguing that the committee’s public hearings would make it impossible for their client to have a fair trial with an impartial jury.

And the judges say… ERRRRRRRHHHHHH (that’s a poor attempt at a buzzer sound)

Yeah, sorry, Stevie Boy-o, you’re charged with Contempt not anything to do with what you may or may not have done that might lead to criminal culpability. Just simply failing to respond to the subpoena. Not sure how the meetings of the committee you refuse to sit for is prejudicial in that regard.

47 Likes

‘broadcast to millions of people’

Based on this argument, he couldn’t get a fair trial on this planet.

Sorry, MOFO - this is not about the case. It is about not showing up to plead your case.

Ya think the heat is on?

36 Likes

Jesus, this pustulant shtick is getting old.

23 Likes

Bannon spews “publicity” relevant to his own case on a regular basis. He can go fuck himself.

24 Likes

Oh, I get it. His notoriety proceeds him. Hence a fair trial is impossible? Jesus, if this works a lot of shitheads will rejoice.

16 Likes

What an entitled prick.

17 Likes

I’ve watched the January 6 hearings. I’m not sure he has come up at all. This is somewhere between his ego talking and a confession, but as an argument to delay his trial it has absolutely no merit, especially since Tuesday’s is slated to be the last hearing for a couple of weeks if not months.

16 Likes

The first thing I thought of when I read this was that it was sort of like the Mendez brothers making a plea for leniency from the court because they were orphans.

Damn, I know the analogy is there someplace but I can’t find it :slight_smile:

21 Likes

I’m sitting here wondering why he thinks the hearings would have an impact on his case.

First, he asked for, and got the dealy that brought us to this date. He could have had the trial before the hearings.

Second, the charge he faces has little or nothing to do with the hearings. His alleged crime is failing to answer a subpoena, unrelated, entirely, to the salacious revelations in the hearings.

Third, do cirrhotic livers even have a right to a jury trial? Are there any facts in dispute?

Fourth, as @19tibekius6 notes, Steve Bannon can go fsck himself.

34 Likes

Naw, he would probably enjoy it!

3 Likes

How 'bout we hurry things up before another piece of his leprotic face falls off.

10 Likes

OT:

I see the small-government, personal freedom Republican conservatives are at it again. Maybe we could institute internal passports or travel permits, like all free nations do. https://t.co/YakhNP87XL

— Tom Nichols (@RadioFreeTom) June 29, 2022

Scoop: Several national antiabortion groups and their allies in Republican-led state legislatures are advancing plans to stop people from crossing state lines for abortions. Model legislation is in the works. https://t.co/sKpMCBydB7

— Caroline Kitchener (@CAKitchener) June 29, 2022

Look! Look! “Letters of Transit” a’la Casablanca are going to become a thing! You won’t be able to cross state lines while female, unless you can prove you’re not pregnant. Because, “Muh Freedumb!”

34 Likes

Oh look, another attempt to get his trial delayed to his desired date in Oct 2022. We’ve been here before, just with a different excuse:

Note that prosecutors asked for a date in April, so Bannon could have already had his speedy trial completed before any of the Jan 6th committee hearings.

31 Likes

Bannon put himself in the time he’s in. He’s being tried for failing to comply with subpoenas that were issued long before the Select Committee began public announcement of its work. He’s using his crime as a defense to delay. I’m sure they’ll grant this but it defies decency.

12 Likes

The judge might… but I would not wager my own money on that. The judge only partially his last request for a delay. See @noonm’s post, above.

7 Likes

Arsonist requests trial delay because of all the smoke in the air.

21 Likes

In fairness to Bannon, he’s already resigned from his podcast job to spend more time with his scabies.

27 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available