As We Count Down To Indictments In MAL Case, Trump Starts Wailing

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Buckle Up! With Special Counsel Jack Smith basically done investigating and developing evidence in the Mar-a-Lago documents case, charging decisions appear to be imminent….

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458469

I gotta say, the Secil attorney message looks apocryphal and made up, but apparently it’s real.

68 Likes

More from Gaetz, who rejects any debt limit compromise with the White House: “I think my conservative colleagues for the most part support Limit, Save, Grow, & they don’t feel like we should negotiate with our hostage.”

I hear he talks about his girlfriends the same way.

60 Likes

`> Attorneys for Clarence Thomas benefactor Harlan Crow claim Congress has no constitutional power to impose ethics rules on the Supreme Court.

I’m old enough to remember yesterday when he said he didn’t know anything about the law, but apparently his lawyers do.
`

69 Likes

I think you mean his prey.

50 Likes

It seems like all of Trump’s missives of late have a real “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows” tone to them. The problem with that, though, is that he’s only speaking about himself–which just makes him sound whiny.

31 Likes

Do you think?
Newspaper reporting of looming debt ceiling crisis fell horribly short | Media Matters for America
Reporting from 5 of the nation’s leading newspapers left out crucial context informing readers about the dire stakes of Republican brinkmanship

71 Likes

With all due respect for Jack Smith, I’m filing this under “I’ll believe it when I see it.” Or put another way, I’m not about to start holding my breath.

I am optimistic, and I greatly look forward to it. But “imminent?” Depends on one’s definition??

But yeah, I look forward to that day. And the ones to follow (looking south toward Georgia - while still continuing to breathe).

20 Likes

2024 Ephemera

• Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis will announce his presidential campaign today on Twitter with its owner Elon Musk in an event TPM’s Nicole Lafond described as a “match made in reactionary chucklehead heaven.”
  • NYT: DeSantis Allies’ $200 Million Plan for Beating Trump
  • USA Today: She stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Then Gov. Ron DeSantis made her a state regulator.

40 Likes

Yep. Trump proudly posted it on Truth Social, complete with his lawyer’s cell phone number and email address.

63 Likes
57 Likes

Because everyone expects the Dems to be the grown-ups in the room and cave for the sake of the country.

34 Likes

95 Likes

Free to read
Roberts says Supreme Court will address ethics issues - The Washington Post (archive.is)
Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said Tuesday night that he was “confident” that the Supreme Court will convince the public that the court “adheres to the highest standards of conduct.

“I want to assure people that I’m committed to making certain that we as a court adhere to the highest standards of conduct. We are continuing to look at things we can do to give practical effect to that commitment. And I am confident that there are ways to do that consistent with our status as an independent branch of government and the Constitution’s separation of powers.”

Do you think
Roberts’s remarks seemed intended to convey to lawmakers that the justices are working on it, but did not want or need intervention from the political branches.

55 Likes

NO. No, he cannot.

This guy is such a moron. But thanks for putting that out there.

32 Likes

Robert’s actions, past and present, speak much louder than his spoken words. He has lost the faith and confidence of most of America.

49 Likes

Maybe the Texas Ten Commandments bill failed because they read the part about coveting one’s neighbor’s ass and realized it almost sounded worse than an Amanda Gorman poem.

41 Likes

Driver who crashed at White House said he wanted to kill Biden, ‘seize power,’ officials say (nbcnews.com)
Sai Varshith Kandula, of suburban St. Louis, allegedly told authorities he admires Nazis and had planned the attack for six months.
He allegedly said he “admires their ‘authoritarian nature, Eugenics, and their one world order,’” the document states, adding that Kandula identified Hitler as a “strong leader” he admires.

Kandula allegedly told authorities he had been planning the attack for six months and detailed the plans in a “green book,” the document states.

He “stated his goal was to ‘get into the White House, seize power, and be put in charge of the nation,’” the document states. “When agents asked how KANDULA would seize power, he stated he would ‘Kill the President if that’s what I have to do and would hurt anyone that would stand in my way.’”

35 Likes

The Ten Commandments are soooo woke!

28 Likes

Someone needs to inform the law clerks at SECIL that Donald J. Trump, aka Floriduh Fats, is not President.
Or, they shouldn’t allow their clients to write letters and use their letterhead.

32 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available