Arizona Supreme Court Greenlights Near-Total Abortion Ban, Making November Ballot Fight Existential

The Arizona Supreme Court Tuesday supplanted the state’s 15-week abortion ban with a near-total one dating from 1864, making existential a proposal to protect abortion rights organizers are currently working to get onto the ballot this fall. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485570
2 Likes

“The organizers behind a push to enshrine abortion rights in the state constitution said this week that they have already far surpassed the signature requirement with 500,000 collected, and plan to gather a couple hundred thousand more.”

To the astonishment of oceanographers worldwide, November 2024 is gonna mark the first tsunami in Desert Southwest history.

I hope Arizona Republicans can swim.

69 Likes

So there will soon be 11 states with the abortion issue on the state ballot. If professional Democrats don’t understand the opportunity the Supreme Court has given them they should be sued for political malpractice.

Democrats should be able to sweep the house and make gains in the Senate.

47 Likes

How many of my fellow Arizonans will suffer severe health consequences or death as a result of this horrible decision? How can people intelligent enough to complete a law degree and serve as judges not understand the potential for for tragic outcomes if this law is applied? I signed the petition for that ballot measure a long time ago!

44 Likes

Who says they don’t understand that there will be tragic outcomes?

31 Likes

When the hell will politicians stop pretending that they have the right to interfere in womens’ private medical decisions?? I know, the place will freeze over first. GOTV next November, and please, PLEASE, vote blue!

20 Likes

Arizona was a territory in 1864 and didn’t become a state until 1909. Women didn’t have the franchise until 1913. Wouldn’t this abortion law be irrelevant and unconstitutional?
Is Birther Joe Arpaio now going to question the citizenship of Arizonans who had family members who were born prior to 1913?
Barry Goldwater who was born in the Arizona territory warned against this kind of judicial overreach and misinterpretation.

26 Likes

I don’t.

42 Likes
  1. I was under the impression that more-specific laws passed later always modified old laws.

2. This would have been a 5-2 decision except that one of the majority judges told the truth about his prejudice in public.

3. There’s a good argument to be made (for nutbars at least) that any contraception except barrier methods is now also illegal in Arizona.

17 Likes

1864 was a long, long time ago. Why, I can barely remember it, I tell you.

21 Likes

So now we’;re reaching all the way back to laws on the books before the fucking state was even a state. How about we just use the laws the Comanche used, which was to leave people the fuck alone unless they fucked with us first?

18 Likes

Ideally but in my experience Democrats couldn’t sell Italian ices in the fucking Sahara, in July.

4 Likes

They don’t care.

5 Likes

Why do barrier methods get a pass?

Does the Roman Catholic church still advocate abstinence as the only allowable form of contraception? (Asking as a lapsed RC.)

5 Likes

Holy shit.

I am pretty sure this isn’t what Donald was hoping for when he said the issue of abortion should be left to states. Not that he gives a damn about Arizona women, but this ban in a state he needs to win is directly attributable to him and his Supreme Court.

39 Likes

Unless you argue that Every Sperm is Sacred, the usual wingnut thing is from the union of sperm and egg. So it’s only BC methods that allow the possibility of sperm and egg meeting that would come under the wingnut definition of abortion (see Hobby Lobby vs Concensus Reality). (And yeah, the ones that prevent ovulation because there might be a miracle where ovulation occurred anyway)

6 Likes

Not arguing it, I hasten to add, but one state supreme court has already decided that every zygote is sacred, so it’s only a matter of time before they are arguing this.

Contraception has always been the end goal. Keep the women busy popping out babies.

11 Likes

Civil War, 2024 Version

5 Likes

Happy to hear that GOP politicians that felt so clever about laying with wingnut dogs, getting up with fleas.

6 Likes

One of the states with a constitutional amendment to protect reproductive rights on the November ballot is Maryland. Of course Blue Maryland already protects a woman’s reproductive rights through legislation. An amendment would protect those rights forever.

Unlike Florida only a majority referendum vote is needed for approval. That should be certain. Every Democratic candidate for office will support the amendment.

Why does this matter in 2024? Because in 2024 Republican Larry Hogan, a former two-term governor, will be the likely Republican candidate to try to flip a Democratic senate seat. Hogan recently said that he does not favor a federal law to restore Roe v Wade. As governor he vetoed legislation to expand abortion access. The Democrats are going to corner Hogan on this issue. If he supports the amendment then he loses the hard right Republicans. If he won’t support the amendment then he will get demolished in the November vote.

31 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available