Arizona Supreme Court Greenlights Near-Total Abortion Ban, Making November Ballot Fight Existential

‘In one statement, the campaign called it “Donald Trump’s Arizona ban.”’

Hang it around his fucking neck like an anchor every time you mention his name. “Donald Trump, who supports Arizona’s draconian 1864 ban on abortion…”. Even better: “Donald Trump, soon to go on trial for attempting the overthrow the government in 2021, and who also supports Arizona’s draconian 1864 ban on abortion…”

I realize this could soon get unwieldy. “Donald Trump, soon to go on trial in four separate jurisdictions, for fraudulent efforts to influence illegally the 2016 election, and for attempting the overthrow the government in 2021, and for violating Georgia election laws, and for stealing top-secret documents from the White House and storing them in a bathroom at Mar-a-Lago, and who also supports Arizona’s draconian 1864 ban on abortion…”

We could go on, right?

28 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

In 1864, per an article in Wikipedia, it appears that the Arizona Territory was under the control of the Confederacy. So would not Confederate laws like this one be null and void as of Arizona’s change of status to a state in 1912, if not by the end of the Civil War?

Perhaps to be on clear legal ground, the people of Arizona should amend the state constitution to declare the state to be a full member of the United States of America and its past Confederate ties to be broken.

14 Likes

I’m fairly certain that Maynard suggested that they learn to swim before we met them at Arizona Bay.

3 Likes

Nope. They’re all witches.

14 Likes

Arizona became a state in 1912.

Women got the vote in 1919.

12 Likes

“Trump did this” - Joe Biden

I think the Dems got this one.

27 Likes

In Arizona the state in two weeks will own every female resident’s uterus. The same ought by fairness apply to men’s testicles. And women will be property once again. And courts and the legislature are free to practice medicine with no training whatever.
How refreshing.
:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

30 Likes

Arizona became a state many decades after this “law” was passed. It dates from 1864. Right wingers don’t care so long as this “law” satisfies their theocratic urge to strip women of control over their own bodies.

We can sadly can expect the 6 right wingers on the Supreme Court to try to rely upon a long dormant 1873 law called the Comstock Act to be the pretext to strip women across the country of their rights. It’s coming if Trump wins in November.

17 Likes

You know kids, spermicide used with barrier methods causes all those little sacred guys to die a horrible death!

7 Likes

Nope. I hope they are wearing concrete slippers.

5 Likes

Every result in special elections since Dobbs has negated this viewpoint.

Democrats are consistently outperforming in elections based on this issue.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, there is a provision of the AZ Constitution that affirmatively adopted all AZ Territorial laws that were in force at the time of ratification as AZ State laws.

7 Likes

8 Likes

Letting the states decide was always a lie, but not just because they want a national abortion ban. It was a lie because it implied that the issue would be decided prospectively. They knew that these old statutes would come back to life like zombies.

12 Likes

As with Dobbs, the GOP has caught the car again, and is realizing that it has no idea what to do now.

Kari Lake: “this is a very personal issue that should be determined by each individual state and her people.”

This sounds to me like an unintentional variation on “determined by a woman and her doctor.” I can’t figure out what she means, though, since it was the state (or territory) that passed the draconian law. It is not a federal law, it is a state law. So many of these GOP politicians are just saying stuff but have never really contemplated what happens if their fascist pipe dreams come true!

14 Likes

Life’s rich pageant.

2 Likes

Doug Ducey’s total experience for governing, btw, was that he owned a number of ice cream parlors.

20 Likes

Well I hope you enjoy the weather at least.

1 Like

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available