Arizona SoS Office: CPAC Request To Monitor Drop Boxes Akin To ‘Arsonist Calling The Fire Department’

Originally published at: Arizona SoS Office: CPAC Request To Monitor Drop Boxes Akin To ‘Arsonist Calling The Fire Department’ - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Members of the Conservative Political Action Conference recently announced the group intends to monitor ballot drop boxes in November in order to identify supposed illegal voters. State officials told TPM that the initiative, which was outlined to both the Democratic Arizona Secretary of State Adrian Fontes and the state Attorney General Kris Mayes in a letter…

1 Like

What are these “monitors” going to do? Ask to see everyone’s birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers?

If someone is dropping off a ballot, they have already been vetted.

23 Likes

Matt Schlapp will be personally monitoring drop boxes in his search for new sexual assault victims.

9 Likes

I am so sick of these people continued efforts to overthrow our democracy. CPAC volunteers should be nowhere near ballot drop boxes. Their only goal is to
intimidate voters particularly those who look latino.

15 Likes

Do these idiots think that absentee ballots are automatically counted? No, the voter’s registration is checked first; once established, the ballots are counted. Just another GQP fantasy: “Oh, all these illegals are voting!” No, they are not, and you’re a really stupid person for believing it.

9 Likes

Just imagine, a car stops at night in front of a dropbox, then sits there for awhile and the people in the car are seen moving around and reaching in the back seat, then the passenger reaches out and puts something in the box.

What’s a Matt Schlapp to do?

Even if someone had dropped off a bunch of ballots from non-registered people, well, where did they come from? Once they got delivered they wouldn’t pass muster because the sigs wouldn’t match or the names were already tallied, and so on.

But they’d think they caught something, in reality a whole lot of nothing.

9 Likes

A license for the 101st Truckborne Karens.

8 Likes

Imagine a group of well-regulated militia members wearing natty uniforms stopping, um, selected people and demanding to see their papers. We could probably give them badges or something.

10 Likes

Again, it takes a special Republican kind of stupid to believe that 1:1 impersonation of registered voters is a decisive factor in elections.

It’s like attempting a million-dollar bank heist by sending an army of accomplices to steal $1 each. Nobody’s going to risk a major felony charge and/or deportation for a single fucking vote.

8 Likes

If they do this right, I bet they can come up with one of those “95% voted for Dear Leader” scenarios, proving once and for all his true support without all those pesky (i.e., dusky) voters.

3 Likes

CPAC = Brown Shirts

9 Likes

Voter suppression by Republicans has a long and sordid history. These ballot drop box monitors are a transparent attempt to intimidate voters.

Here’s a piece from the late Paul Weyrich, the “father” of modern Republican conservatism, in which he says the quiet part out loud. Republicans don’t want you to vote.

4 Likes

There should be a group of monitors to monitor these monitors. See how they like their images live streamed to the Internet.

9 Likes

If Ballot Boxes should be monitored to improve public confidence in the election process as CPAC claims, the monitoring should be by an organization not affiliated with one candidate or political party, such as the League of Women Voters.

9 Likes

Republicans are not honest participants in majority rule democracy and will cheat every chance they get.

7 Likes

I’ll take a pass on that one, though I admit it would be fun watching the GQP puzzle how a natural born XY could be a member of the League of Women Voters.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Aw, come on. What’s a little intimidation among warring parties?

1 Like

Say, I was born’n a truck, what’r you sayin?

1 Like

Imagine if someone it dropping off their ballot, and one of these monitors approaches in a threatening manner. Arizona a Stand your ground State?

Peacemaker in hand, lead then dead.

1 Like