Appeals Court: FL Must Allow Ex-Felons Too Poor To Pay Back Court Fees To Vote | Talking Points Memo

Silly me; I always believed the Attorney General to be the nation’s “top law enforcement officer.” Thanks, President Trump for clearing that up for me…delusional and dangerous. I’m still hoping for that stroke or a massive heart attack.

3 Likes

Thankfully a myriad of factors and circumstances largely out of their control renders them powerless to do anything significant about their plight. Otherwise the rest of us would have to compete with them for various resources. But Jesus still loves them.

1 Like

I’m reminded of the adage that if the adulterer spent half the energy being good to their spouse as they spend lying, sneaking and chasing around after a new honey, their marriage problems would be solved and everyone would win.

In this telling, it’s Republicans who should discern good policies that actually benefit their voters, instead of always trolling to own the libs, they won’t need this vote suppression shit.

3 Likes

Florida – authorities overtly shaping election outcomes since forever.

1 Like

Very interesting. Spending so many resources on thwarting the will of the people. They’ll get really desperate when ex-prisoners add to the majority.

1 Like

It is about power but also that “those” people shouldn’t be able to vote.

2 Likes

What is an “ex-felon”? You’re an ex-convict once you’re released from prison. Aren’t you a felon forever once you’ve been convicted of a felony? (Unless your conviction gets overturned…)

Note: I do think felons should be able to vote.

1 Like

How are we supposed to win if we can’t cheat, they complain

2 Likes

OT, but encouraging: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/18/democrats-launch-ad-campaign-michigan-pennsylvania-wisconsin-115739

2 Likes

This is such an asshole law.

“Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Gov. Ron DeSantis ®, who is a defendant in the lawsuit, told TPM that the governor’s office disagreed with the ruling and that they would seek a review from the full 11th Circuit Appeals Court.”
Because of course he will. And then to the United States Supreme Court. Because delays, obfuscation, lies and intransigence tend to prevent poor disenfranchised people from making the effort to exercise what should be their absolute Constitutional Right.
Republicans are all fascists now. All of them.

1 Like

Because, you know, might makes right and all that stuff. I am a Floridian living among a bunch of truly lovely people and a whole passel of goobers.:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Tierney, what are “LFOs”? I’m guessing something Financial Obligations? Lasting? Lawyer? Legal? Legitimate?

Isn’t it too late to get on the 2020 docket for SCOTUS? If that is the case, the former felons will be able to vote this fall.

Lake City is nothing to brag about, but nearby Live Oak has absolutely one of the best outdoor concert venues outside of Red Rocks in Colorado. It’s called Spirit of the Suwanee and it’s right on the river and is halfway between Tallahassee and Gainesville where FSU and UofF are located. Great camping along with a whole series of music all year from bluegrass to rock to funk and jam bands. String Cheese Incident hosts an awesome 4 day concert at Halloween every year with a great lineup.

Also, steer clear of The Villages in central Florida and most of the western Panhandle. Very, very, conservative areas.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Very pointed,and addressed much more than 27 points:wink:

1 Like

Recced for String Cheese incident,and good info.

1 Like

Red Rocks really is amazing. I try to get there for at least one show every year. Last year, I was there to see a band called Interpol (Joy Division like for you oldies). It was 35 degrees and raining all evening… just not awesome concert going conditions but the house was still full. Got my tickets to see Bikini Kill this year.

1 Like

Seems like the Republicans might want to let this one go. The way it’s going right now, most of their members will be in this basket in just a couple of years,

Is it that obvious that the first outdoor concert that I ever attended was Janis Joplin in 1967?

And yes, I am a Joy Division fan also. I’ll check out Interpol.

Give the Hulaween concert in late October at Spirit of the Suwanee in Live Oak, FL a try if you can. Performers and audience are all in costume. String Cheese plays at least 4 times in the 4 days. It’s outdoors under live oaks with spanish moss swaying in the fall breeze. The camping areas are as much fun as the concerts.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available