Appeals Court: FL Must Allow Ex-Felons Too Poor To Pay Back Court Fees To Vote | Talking Points Memo

Maybe they should have to pay back the room and board charges too.
Egad these people.

5 Likes

Very very hot in the Summer Gets freezing in the winter , That area is what we call Southern Georgie
Very Red

1 Like

Fact Check: Rick Scott is a Lex Luthor stand-in.

9 Likes

Thanks.
Looked at the average monthly temps on the computer and it didnā€™t look all that bad.

All right we can go with that
Evil Inherent

4 Likes

Iā€™m just barelyā€¦but do I really have a choice?

9 Likes

Having to go to a court and make that argument ā€“ with documentation ā€“ is a poll tax in itself. But not enough of one for the republicans.

9 Likes

This thing is a big deal down here. DeSantis and his boyz are terrified of the prospect of ex-felons voting. I doubt DeSantis actually won his position ( That goes for Scott too ) but margins are so close here you can fudge them across the line. If you add 100,000 new voters to the rolls ( as Floridians voted to do ) and those guys break 60% for Democrats the fudge gap may be too big to pull off. The Florida GOP has run out of voter suppression options ( perhaps they can screw college students a bit more ) so thereā€™s no other way to offset Felon Voters. I think theyā€™ll get the law in effect eventually as thereā€™s always a wingnut Judge to do that, like Roberts, but for now theyā€™re nervous.

23 Likes

Lake City isnā€™t much. Fine dining at the Suwanee Swifty and Bud Lite cans on the side of the road. Itā€™s not rural as folks call it. Itā€™s desolate but in an hour you can be in Gā€™Ville or the Apalachicola which are OK.

1 Like

Like, 12th day out of the 19 in this month so far with measurable snow kind of freezing cold?

Side note: Iā€™m really starting to hate this winter BS.

2 Likes

Will be interesting if this gets to SCOTUS, given that there is a specific enacted constitutional amendment about this nonsense. And the 10th, allowing the States Rights, doesnā€™t apply, since the 24th is already law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-24

1 Like

Last time it snowed in Florida was 1989 I think and that was about 1/4 inch that was gone in a day. Itā€™s about 73 degrees here in Jax right now.

3 Likes

I guess the meaning of freezing for a Florida person is different than freezing for a guy from Minnesota. It was 7.6 below zero this morning outside my house, high today will be 7or 8 degrees and then 14 below tonight. Then a week of mid 30ā€™s for highs starting Friday.
I have run in shorts and a sweatshirt in the high 30s up here in the Winter. To me, thatā€™s kind of balmy Winter weather.

6 Likes

Different for a Colorado person too. We get that kind of cold once in awhile, but below 0 (Fahrenheit) is fuck that noise territory for me. Theyā€™re telling us that we may get to 50 this weekend. While Iā€™m excited about that, Iā€™m worried that itā€™s going to melt the snow in the back yard. Thereā€™s a lot of poo thatā€™s going to need to be picked up.

3 Likes

So now the systemic impoverishment of the black and minority communities comes back to haunt FLā€™s bigots. I love it. What black man getting out of prison after 10 years is going to be able to pay some kind of trumped up amount of court fees and penalties and what not? Iā€™m guessing ZEROā€¦which was the the whole point of the racist bullshit of putting him in prison for 10 years for possessing a small amount of pot or coke in the first placeā€¦i.e., ruining him. So now, theyā€™re pretty much all going to be able to prove inability to pay and get to vote. Delicious ironyā€¦nom nom nomā€¦

6 Likes

GOP found another way to be dead wrong in a way that lends itself to deliberate tools, being themselves. Shocker.

1 Like

On topic: Rhetorical question, how/why is it that peoplesā€™ right to vote should logically be tied to unpaid fees. Whatā€™s next? Miss your car inspection renewal and you canā€™t vote. The whole thing is nonsense.

Off topic: When democrats next control the senate and presidency, there needs to be an effort to substantially expand the bench at all levels of the federal judiciary. I donā€™t know whatā€™s involved in doing so but I donā€™t think there is anything precluding this from being done other than history/precendent. Well, Moscow Mitch broke that glass. The courts are no longer legitimate. This is a very obvious issue in the supreme court post Garland. But it is also a BIG issue in the rest of the federal courts. I donā€™t give a damn if the Republicans howl about it. It has to be done.

13 Likes

Isnā€™t Val Demings from Orlando? There must be some blue spatter in that sea of orange.

3 Likes

Yup anything below 50

3 Likes

Yes Orange county (Fl) and Orlando are blue. Val was Police chief

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available