Appeals Court: FL Must Allow Ex-Felons Too Poor To Pay Back Court Fees To Vote | Talking Points Memo

A federal appeals court on Wednesday sided with ex-felons who sued Florida over a recent GOP law that undermined a 2018 constitutional amendment giving ex-felons the right to vote in the state.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1291922
1 Like

A panel of judges from the the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld that lower court’s order on Wednesday.

Obviously another liberal controlled circuit. I’m sure tRump will get Mitch on this right away.

16 Likes

Something, something about the will of the people. Rethuglicans don’t care unless it is THEIR people. Now for the SC to make the correct Constitutional decision. (Hopefully!)

15 Likes

Good News! I’ll take in whatever good news I can get these days since there’s often so little of it. Can’t wait for these tRumpian fuckers in FL to appeal it to the Supreme Court. Seems they’ll have run out of time though before the election.

30 Likes

that was broadly approved by Florida voters in 2018.
They did the same shit with redistricting
Tried for 4 years in court using our tax dollars to stop Fair Districts passed by 70%
They are now trying to do an end run around ballot initiatives by passing odious restrictions to make it impossible for a citizen initiative to get on the ballot
They have a Red supermajority and are desperate to hang on to it
Democracy impedes their plans , they have no use for it

41 Likes

I often think about retiring to FL - then I see and hear about their horrific state government - and change my mind.

Edited to fix my misspelling :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Weather Nice
Redneckistan - not so much

Basically the Southeast quadrant is Blue from the Palm Beach county line to the everglades to the Keys
I moved north of Orlando and became a Blue dot

7 Likes

Excellent

1 Like

We can only hope this decision will be upheld. Restricting the right to vote is a Republican wet dream and Florida is among the worst offenders.

14 Likes

Absolutely right. I feel the same way.

4 Likes

WaiT. PoOr PEOPLE can VOTE? TRuMP shouldve wON the POPular VOTE much MORe Bigly THAN he DID.

15 Likes

Just because we have to do this anytime there is an appellate opinion issued by a federal court of appeals these days:

The tally is two Carter appointees and one Clinton appointee, all three of whom are senior judges and none of whom will therefore be eligible to participate if the matter is taken up by the full court in en banc review.

The active members of the 11th Circuit consist of 1 GHWB appointee, 1 Clinton appointee, 1 GWB appointee, 4 Obama appointees, and 6 (!!!) Trump appointees. So this opinion seems pretty darn likely to get squashed like a bug by the full court.

9 Likes

Good panel, Barbara Rothstein (Carter appointee to the WD of WA, former head of the Federal Judicial Center), an actual conservative Ronald Reagan appointee (not these fake Trump conservatives)who was then elevated to the 11th cir by Clinton in a judicial swap, and then a carter appointee.

I think everyone on the panel must be over 80 years old… a good pannel for Florida…

4 Likes

Are you this guy? If not, there are 2 blue dots north of Orlando.

9 Likes

Anderson was appointed by Carter. Marcus was appointed by Clinton. Rothstein, who is is a trial court judge sitting by designation, was also appointed by Carter.

2 Likes

I used to travel through Florida a lot, but never really made it through Lake City. What’s that town like?
I’m looking at real estate in both Little Rock and Lake City now. I’ve been through Little Rock quite a bit and could live there. I’m thinking Lake City is warmer in the Winter for running and not as hot and muggy in the Summer.

1 Like

If we can hold on till November an estimated 1.4 million people
had their rights restored . This is huge
Look at the last election
Rick Scott , Voldemort Stand in, beat Nelson by 10,033 votes
Desantis beat Gillum by 34,000 votes , a margin of 0.4%.

15 Likes

I am not him , but that guy is brave , very brave , doing that in the center of the Faux Demographic “The Villages” retirement community
That place is like being in an episode of the Twilight zone

8 Likes

I’m sure the top law enforcement officer in the nation will deem this decision outrageous and really, really wrong and order it reversed.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reality check.

As we all know, the overriding principle of the latest batch of federal judges is “fuck poor people.”

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available