AP: Pence Pleaded For Military To ‘Clear The Capitol’ During Jan. 6 Attack | Talking Points Memo

That was what he signed up for. Trump would murder a baby if he thought it would keep his immunity.

12 Likes

Speaking of the Turtle where was he? Wasn’t he still the Senate Majority Leader? I realize that he’s not in the line of succession, thank God, but just because he has a shell to hide in doesn’t mean he’s off the hook.

8 Likes

“Clear my browser cache!”

(Desperately tries to uninstall Grindr as Secret Service ushers Mother into room)

19 Likes

Or, we could make DC a state so the governor of DC could call in the DC National Guard immediately, or, and I know this is bizarro-world thinking, plan an effective response to expected events before they occurred.

32 Likes

Miller, whose chief of staff was Kash Patel, was either in on the coup from the start or deferred to Trump in the moment. I’ve always suspected that Milley was maybe the one who did the end run and actually broke the intentional paralysis. Is this the first confirmation of that?

22 Likes

Agree. Both the Congress (House Judiciary Committee) and the DoJ need to subpoena Miller’s sorry ass and put him under the hot lights. He needs to flip on Trump PUBLICLY. The dereliction of duty by the POTUS was deliberate and likely planned. Trump, in his sick reptilian mind, knew exactly what he was doing. The part his missed, from the beginning of his term, was that the force of his personality was not nearly powerful enough to overcome our Republic.

Stupidity STILL reigns in Mar-a-Lago and in the GOP but not in the American public. The Trumpian dinner buffet tonite proves it once again. (What do you wager for $1000 a plate, Trump still makes them wait in line with their utensils in their pockets - pathetic.) The KKK was shut down by We the People and by the DoJ numerous times in our history. The takeover of the GOP is just the latest attempt of the KKK to regain power over the body politic. It won’t work this time either.

16 Likes

Exactly. An excellent case for DC statehood.

11 Likes

I agree. 5000 Special Ops soldiers with full combat gear and a dozen AH-64 Apache helicopters equipped with multiple Hellfire missiles at the ready. All answer to the Speaker of the House. The force needs to be large enough to defend the Capitol against all enemies foreign and domestic, including a rogue Executive.

1 Like

Why would Pence do that? Trump says there was just hugging and kissing between the assembled patriots and the Capitol Police.

5 Likes

What gets me is that up until Shrub’s second term or so I could believe that some of this snipping from one political party to the other party over political positions was theater, but something flipped in 2008 when we elected Obama. And yes I know what it is, but still the play acting stopped being play acting.
So I know the House was in session, Pence as VP was in the House, and because of COVID not every member of the House would be in the chamber…so why did the Republicans allow themselves to be shooed into hiding? They knew Trump was having a rally, that his peeps were in town.
I’m not clear on what was happening on the Senate side. What was going on over there. I know Romney was there, because he almost ran into the rioters if it hadn’t been for Officer Goodwin. But where was RoJo? Where was McConnell or Lee?
I’m sure that on 01/06 there were members of Congress, Republicans even, that were there during 09/11. That part of the orientation of new members of Congress are instructed what to do in an emergency, where to go, and what to do. And yet it seems like if any one of them talked about what it was like then Trump would do something bad to them. I mean fuck your fucking politically loyalties when someone encourages a mob to attack your place of business this is not OK or normal, or even fucking decent.

8 Likes

You know that Trump lies? It’s been in all the papers.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Benedict Donald will ever be named as a co-conspirator WRT Jan 6 insurrection but Miller damned well should be.

14 Likes

I know that Miller was the “acting” Secretary of Defense, but was his prior position the one that would be the next in succession if the previous Secretary quits? Pretty sure Miller never sat for Senate confirmation.

6 Likes

As a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, then Vice President Mike Pence made an urgent phone call to Christopher Miller, the acting defense secretary, pleading with him to “clear the Capitol,” according to a document obtained by the Associated Press.
… … …
(((Waves arms)))
WAIT A DANG MINUTE HERE!!!
I thought they were all kissing and hugging each other. I mean, that’s what daddy trump said.
Wait… … Who’s reality is this anyway??

6 Likes

Aw c’mon…who needs confirmation when ya work for “The Donald”??

5 Likes

Why hasn’t Miller been dragged before a tribunal already?

10 Likes

If Mattis had still been Defense Secretary, …, but he wasn’t.

3 Likes

If there is a desire to fix responsibility, it starts right at the top: with Trump. He appointed these people, he encouraged the rioters, he created the command climate that led to a confused and paralyzed response. Hell, he actively encouraged the mob to attempt a coup, while discouraging any response.

It is not Milley’s job or even the job of the (admittedly feckless and incompetent) political appointees to command the military and the police. This was Trump’s from top to bottom, and we need to keep that fact very clearly in focus without allowing anyone to deflect focus to subordinates.

15 Likes

You were nothing more than road kill to the monster to whom you sold your soul. He doesn’t care about his own children - except for one - why would he be concerned about you?

2 Likes

trump was put in the corner at this time until the inauguration, other than a few hostage video releases. IMO this means that a woman (women) took control and told these foolish boys that the game was over. Plans were given in a matter of fact, mom is done playing voice.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available