AP: Pence Pleaded For Military To ‘Clear The Capitol’ During Jan. 6 Attack | Talking Points Memo

As a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, then Vice President Mike Pence made an urgent phone call to the acting defense secretary, pleading to “clear the Capitol,” according to a document obtained by the Associated Press.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369075

“Clear my name!” Pence probably.

13 Likes

Ive totally forgotten about him

15 Likes

As a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, then Vice President Mike Pence made an urgent phone call to Christopher Miller, the acting defense secretary, pleading with him to “clear the Capitol.”

Nice to know now. Too bad he didn’t state that publicly then.
Political cowardice comes in many forms.
And the former tyrant is still not in chains.

45 Likes

The guy the Vice President replaced

8 Likes

I don’t think Mike has come to terms with the fact that Donnie would have sacrificed him as part of his effort to overturn the election.

45 Likes

There is a tap-dance with everything Trump, nowadays…Methinks it has a lot to do with American institutions of all kinds getting back to before Trump played corrupt and fast with our norms and nearly destroyed our Republic.

16 Likes

Bzzt. Bzzzzt. Bzt.

Is there a fly in the room?

13 Likes

Astounding they didn’t 25th amendment him and then arrest him that day. The GOP really is stupid. They could have removed him as a stain on the party. I will never understand this at all.

32 Likes

The fierce stare of Mike Pence in the picture accompanying the article puts Twice Impeached in the same class as that other corrupt leader Kim Jong-un.

16 Likes

The tap-dance is because of the cult of idiots apparently dominating the current GOP who like the appeal of an ignorant pathologically-lying autocrat. As long as we have a portion of our media spoon-feeding ignorance and conspiratorial shit into the minds of willing recipients we will be fighting this. The people who spoon-feed this propaganda do so for profit and they will keep doing it as long as there are rubes who will pay for that bad service. It is a large diseased organ in the body politic. William F. Buckley fought long and hard against the John F. Birch Society. The cult of idiots inherited the mantle of ignorance from the Birchers. Buckley and the pre-Nixon GOP have lost out to a crowd of conspiracy theorists and their followers.

Expecting the Democratic party to govern under these conditions in partnership with a “rational minority” that is irrational is like trying to bargain with the insane.

33 Likes

Pence may not have publicly stated it, but it was reported at the time.
So if I’m following this correctly the hold up was acting Secretary of Defense Miller. His ass needs to be questioned on live TV. Did he not turn on his TV and see what Trump had wrought?

27 Likes

…says Pence.

Any corroboration on that?

3 Likes

Would have?

He pointed them at him, by name.

20 Likes

notice the date

11 Likes

Q-TIP CYA ASAP.

..piss off discobot

5 Likes

As I’ve said before, this was the day the Executive Branch, with its complete control over the military, intelligence, and federal law enforcement, decided to declare war on its coequal Legislative Branch for failing to fall in line with the king’s, er…I mean President’s demands. Mike Pence was basically acting in his legislative role as President of the Senate. And Republicans were so shook up, a few acted like decent human beings for a couple of days.

I believe this incident demonstrates that Congress perhaps needs a force of its own that can be called upon without the permission of the Executive Branch. Previously unthinkable, but now needs to be carefully thought through.

24 Likes

As a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, then Vice President Mike Pence made an urgent phone call to Christopher Miller, the acting defense secretary, pleading with him to “clear the Capitol,” according to a document obtained by the Associated Press.

Blockquote

Perhaps none but the fly noticed, but the moment was so scary, Mike Pence’s hair turned from pure white to ultra pure white. Who knows if his original color will ever come back.

4 Likes

Please I dislike Pence as much as anyone else but it was reported the next day that he called Miller, along with Pelosi and Schumer. There were meetings between the DC NG days before 01/06. The DC NG commander even testified that Miller had put on stricter procedures for them to be called in than had been done in the past. Hell even Milley was trying to get Miller to send in the DC NG.

The question now is how to prevent a political appointee who is an “acting” head of department to do their damn job?

20 Likes

The only thing I care about is how the pentagon went around the chain of command. Gen Milley and VP Pence had no legal authority to order the military to do anything.

I do hope someone is whispering in McConnells ear that the moment that Democrats are not able to make any more legislative progress, the hearings into the Trump Admin and the failed coup pick back up.

I’d really like to understand what investigations the DOJ is doing with the IGs from the Trump era.

22 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available