Anonymous DHS IG Staffers Call For Biden To Fire Inspector General Plagued By Controversy - TPM – Talking Points Memo

On Friday morning, an anonymous group of staffers at the Department of Homeland Security’s internal watchdog called for President Joe Biden to fire their boss, Inspector General Joseph Cuffari.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1433465
1 Like

Frist!!

… … … …
Back to work…

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/23/politics/trump-grand-jury-court-fight/index.html

(CNN) Former President Donald Trump’s attorneys are fighting a secret court battle to block a federal grand jury from gathering information from an expanding circle of close Trump aides about his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, people briefed on the matter told CNN.

The high-stakes legal dispute – which included the appearance of three attorneys representing Trump at the Washington, DC, federal courthouse on Thursday afternoon – is the most aggressive step taken by the former President to assert executive and attorney-client privileges in order to prevent some witnesses from sharing information in the criminal investigation events surrounding January 6, 2021.

And it is time for IG Cuffari to go.

50 Likes

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

18 Likes

Anonymous TPM poster seconds the call for President Joe Biden to fire Inspector General Joseph Cuffari.

Not my pets.

ETA: Click on “Watch on YouTube.”

21 Likes

Those who watch from the sidelines.

9 Likes

POGO, Project On Government Overnight, “We have met the enemy and he is us. “ How appropriate.

14 Likes

I once watched a guy hold his child up to the face of a male elk. This was in Yellowstone in August…rutting season. I thought this would not end well. A helicopter showed up just then and from a bull horn I heard. "ELK HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO KILL MOUNTAIN LIONS. WE SUGGEST YOU MOVE AWAY…SLOWLY!!

41 Likes

Felicitations! Now pardon me as I slip into something more comfortable.

17 Likes

People will do a lot to “expand” their growth.

9 Likes

I understood the structural difficulties removing the Trumpist US Post Office leadership – btw is DeJoy still there, I didn’t bother to look – but someone will need to explain to me why the Biden administration did not clean house at DHS and other agencies they presumably have more control over. In any case, a vote of no confidence from staff may get some movement on this, at least one would hope.

39 Likes

[T]he letter simply reinforced that “he cares about no one but himself and his survival.”

IOW, Cuffari is the quintessential Cockholster appointee.

18 Likes

By getting to the position of IG, cuffari wildly exceeded his peter principle ceiling.

22 Likes

Why hasn’t the Biden administration cleaned house at DHS?

14 Likes

the usual “collegiate” BS. All Trumps IG appointees should have been defenestrated on day one but noooooo that’s too confrontational, we have to leave the rancid turds behind.

When I was in college, it involved drinking heavily and behaving badly (though no to the level I’d get appointed as a supreme court judge).

3 Likes

Sticky to dismiss that position without cause. The IGs appointed by the President require 30 days notice to Congress with the reasons for the removal. Would agree he’s more than earned it, but Papa Joe’s not going to do something without thoroughly dotting the t’s and crossing the i’s.

In general, you might be surprised how many appointed positions get held over for years between administrations.

Hell, the Ukraine Ambassador that almost took trump down three years into his administration was herself an Obama appointee.

With over 4,000 appointed slots to fill, a Senate that works 2 weeks a year, not a lot of time to fill all the gaps out there.

27 Likes

A standing joke when I lived in North Idaho was:
Q: How do you know when it’s officially spring in the Rocky Mountains?
A: When the first Japanese tourist is killed by a bull elk in Yellowstone.

To really understand and appreciate the joke you have to know that deer in Japan are very docile, tame even. As a result, the Japanese approach elk thinking they’re just big deer. Unfortunately for them (the tourists), bull elk can weigh over 1,000 pounds and are noted for having a very, very, very bad attitude. Same with moose, although they are generally shyer.

20 Likes

Presumably because there would be nothing left except the coast guard, and there only those who actually crew ships.

12 Likes

I’ve been charged by a moose. Fortunately even a canoe is faster than a swimming moose.

29 Likes

Naked Perp 45½: The Smell of Fear

5 Likes

I learned through experience in a kayak that animals typically aren’t afraid of people if they can’t see their legs. I’ve passed bobcats, deer, coyotes etc on the bank and they just stand there looking at you with curiosity.

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available