‘All the Hospitals Are Full’: In Houston, Overwhelmed ICUs Leave COVID-19 Patients Waiting in ERs | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox. This article was produced in partnership with NBC News.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319956

Just had to get those bars and beaches open, didn’t you, Greg?

7 Likes

Happy now Tx Lt. Gov?
More KAG-ging (Killing American Geriatrics) for Wallstreet occurring in Houston now!

6 Likes

If you really want to scare yourself, read Josh’s latest. A study in Italy of 143 patients reports that after 60 days onset of the virus, only 12.6% reported returning to normal. People reported being tired and having labored breathing. Of the 143 patients, only 5% had been on ventilators.
This gets scarier and scarier, lots of people that will never be normal again. This is a huge reminder, even if you think you’re careful, you can’t be too careful.
I’m opting out of a relative’s funeral, not Covid related but inside service, burial then afterwards inside. This is not a good idea.

15 Likes

“All the Hospitals Are Full.”

White Evangelicals: "Well, at least Trump’s restoring America’s image in the world making Mexico pay for a wall protecting our military preserving a rubber stamp Supreme Court keeping us safe preventing healthcare rationing not running naked through the Rose Garden! Yet."

11 Likes

Horrible. And unnecessary. Thank you, Trump voters. You said we needed to “shake things up” and by God that’s what happened.

12 Likes

Well at least I don’t have to go to Italy. It came here.

6 Likes

So many people getting very sick just to make Trumpp look very bad.

Why do we never see headlines in the very liberal fake news about the millions and millions of people who are not sick?

12 Likes

Just the flu. Just the common cold. Nothing to see here.

4 Likes

Not a surprise at all

Unfortunately, I’ve heard this from too many people who truly believe this - especially the younger crowd. My 80-year old MiL and 45 year-old BiL are fighting the effects of this virus. Hospitalization has not been necessary but their struggle is beyond anything I imagined.

14 Likes

good grief. Cities like Boston and Seattle built entire field hospitals for covid, months ago. The major hospitals in Boston tripled their ICU capacity. Houston is supposedly a top medical city, with top medical hospitals, and they couldn’t figure it out after watching the blue states cope?

/rant

(ETA I suppose the Houston curve was steeper, but still. No backup plans? Maybe waited till the travelling nurses were all booked elsewhere.)

5 Likes

From HOUSTON–

It’s so hard anymore to summon the outrage required-- to match the levels of incompetency from our state government. A city and county of over 6M are now neck-deep in this pandemic-- which even a layperson such as myself-- saw coming from months away.

Our local officials tried in vain to follow what our city and county health experts expressed was required. They/we managed to maintain the effects of the virus at a simmer for almost 2 months-- before ideology and executive orders overrode those safety mandates-- turning up the heat to cause the full-boilover we find ourselves in.

Now? Those same ignoramuses are still focused on economic impacts-- instead of costs in terms of lives, illness, and after-effects to quality of life. Then. There are the costs to the thousands of medical personnel stretched to their limits. Real people who cannot possibly continue to respond and treat without detriment to both their physical and mental health.

Who knows when the boilover will become implosion?
When our residents will be told to stay at home. Suffer your fate. Come what may.

Signing off-- from HOUSTON.

28 Likes

:rescue_worker_helmet::bouquet::rescue_worker_helmet::bouquet::rescue_worker_helmet::bouquet:

now thinking you saw this coming and posted it on this forum, @jw1

1 Like

Anyone here in Dallas could have written that just as well.

Same here for the same reasons.

All this fucking Texas pride and the state is devastated because the GOP is in charge.

14 Likes

Hang in there. Even if you’re physically fine the rage and helplessness take a toll. My own fellow Pennsylvanians, too many of them, decided after two months of pretty good compliance that they’d put in their time and it was all optional now where not required. Every day I see people dining outside without masks. I see people with it just over their mouth in stores. Somehow it’s all like a charade now, a children’s game. And up the infection rate goes.

12 Likes

James Michener said Texas is a land of droughts and floods. Sounds like both presently: drought of political common sense, and flood of sick folk. My son and family live near San Marcos, hope they remain safe and well.

8 Likes

Dallas was in the midst of planning (and about to construct) a field hospital at the convention center and then stopped when the numbers started going down in May.

2 Likes

I hope they stay healthy and that they stay safe.

@captaintangent - yeah they reported on the news that they may reopen that field hospital although right now they don’t need it. If Judge Jenkins thought that it was needed right now he’d have them open it.

5 Likes

“So much winning. You will be sick of it”.

Very prescient Cadet BoneSpurs.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available