‘All the Hospitals Are Full’: In Houston, Overwhelmed ICUs Leave COVID-19 Patients Waiting in ERs | Talking Points Memo

Yeah. Especially right now, there is no such thing as ‘too careful’.

5 Likes

This is also one reason why this notion of herd immunity is a crock of shit.

One - they aren’t sure that you get immunity or that it lasts if you do and; Two - even if you do get COVID, survive and get immunity you still may have permanent damage of some kind including brain damage.

7 Likes

This is going well, huh?

"Healthcare System Collapsing in Nation’s 2nd Largest State"!

Abbott thought he’d run for President in 2024, presumably on a “Death & Destruction” platform. He still might!

7 Likes

Locally (Wisconsin), a defendant is trying to get his trial delayed. The expert witness, a 70 year old doctor who lives in California, is concerned about travel risks. Trial is set to start in August. There have been no jury trials since March, which coincidentally is about how long this guy’s been locked up.

Here’s the judge’s response to the request. Anyone want to guess his political leanings?

He also expressed skepticism about the dangers of the virus, saying he “saw a doctor on television” who said the fatality rate for a 70-year-old was “one four-hundredths of one percent.”

Johns Hopkins University is estimating the virus fatality rate in the United States at 4.35%.

Schroeder opted to keep the trial on the schedule for Aug. 10, with a status hearing scheduled for July 27 to get additional information about the expert witness’ status and an update on pandemic protocols.

6 Likes

I’m afraid AZ hospitals are entering (or have entered) this same dreadful stage. ER doctors in both Tucson and Phoenix were sounding the alarms a week ago with some supposedly hitting max. ICU capacity then. The governor continues saying there are beds available despite the spike. And, besides, they have contingency plans ready.

Unfortunately, I suspect we will next be hearing that, although temporary treatment facilities with many beds are set up, they just can’t find the necessary staff. So, sorry.

8 Likes

Please give your relatives our best, but stay away for their sakes and your own. We need you to survive, @zillacop!

7 Likes

So very sorry to hear this. I hope for good outcomes for them.

7 Likes

I just saw that there are 71,000 new cases of Covid today. That is so unbelievable. We are really in trouble.

5 Likes

This was avoidable and it will kill people. From the get go the name of the game was “flatten” and the reason for that was to avoid swamping hospitals. A plan for that ALL could participate in was made. Stay home if you can. WEAR A FUCKING MASK and stay the fuck apart. Not hard. But Texas’s GOP’ers saw that as a liberal conspiracy and bucked it. It was all about Hurting Trump. A hoax. Now this.

Gov. Abbott deliberately thwarted what was needed to avoid this. He did it for political reason and fealty to Trump. He must be made to know he killed people. He must be made to know that all of Texas knows he did.

11 Likes

Texas. It’s no loss.

Oh, look, people dying because they’re out of ICU beds. If only someone had warned him this would inevitably happen if he freedumbed about masking and gloving and distancing and insisted on reopening. How could he possibly have known? No one could have foreseen it.

As god as my witness, it is just so enraging to see so many motherfuckers who ought to rot in prison for their lethal, willful stupidity and betrayal of the public trust on this murderous scale and know that none of them will because it’s not illegal to be this awful and dumb.

13 Likes

I’m in touch with family in Houston and League City. More family in Fort Worth. This sucks. You hang tough. All the best.

4 Likes

Does the information that Houston is a majority-minority city, and this will certainly impact communities of color harder, change your assessment at all?

Asking for a friend.

6 Likes

This is the criteria for spending eternity in the 9th Ring.

“The traitors in Dante’s ninth circle include traitors to one’s kin, traitors to one’s people, traitors to one’s guests, traitors to one’s liege lord, and traitors to God.”

5 Likes

There hasn’t even been enough testing to determine where the whole of the United States population stands. How can anyone talk about “herd immunity” when no one knows how many have been exposed, how many have been asymptomatic, how many have been sick?

4 Likes

And a plague of stupidity embodied in the majority of its arrogant, braggart, Republican politicians.

2 Likes

Anyone want to wager how many more days it will take to hit the 100,000 a day mark that Dr. Fauci warned us of when, last week? That seemed so hyperbolic at the time. When we were starting to lap up on what, 40,000 or 50,000?

5 Likes

The long-term effects of COVID will not be revealed for years, it will be the “gift” that keeps on giving. It is clear that the impact of the pandemic will extend far into the future and we don’t have any idea how and for how long many people will suffer. We do know why this is happening at the scale it is at now and the Repukes are the reason.

3 Likes

I’m in PA, too. At least our governor is using recommendations from the state health department on steps to take, unlike in Texas and Florida. The curve is down in PA (and NY and NJ), but it’s a big worry, nationwide, when college students return to campus. Really, it’s naive to think they’ll follow requirements/guidelines, whatever. Has anyone done a study on virus transmission via bong hits? We’re about to find out.

If only we could really put this fight on a true wartime footing. I recently found my mother’s ration books from WWII. People had victory gardens to grow their own food. The nation’s productive capacity was fully supporting the effort. Then in the 1950’s we experienced an huge economic boom. We could do it again, if only we had national leadership equal to the task of rallying support and getting it done. Yes, the economy will get disrupted, but we can later grow out of it, into a far better place in terms of energy production, the way we develop, public transportation, and on and on. Sorry, Elon Musk, but individual cars, much less the nascent (albeit likely 200 years in the future) electric car industry, need to go the way of the dodo. You want freedom of travel? Buy yourself a helicopter! Why should we pay for your asphalt roads so you can tool around in your luxury automobile? OK, screed over!

1 Like

Texas: Population 25 million human beings.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available