Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Helped Soothe Paul Gosar’s Fears About The House Speaker Vote - TPM – Talking Points Memo

AOC smiling - don’t worry about Democrats bailing Republicans out.

31 Likes

I was under the impression that “present” doesn’t help in this instance. It’s supposed to be a majority of members present.

They will have to leave for that to work.

Maybe some McCarthyites will do so.

1 Like

Isn’t there some sort of slaughter rule that gets invoked after say, a dozen votes?

10 Likes

Gossar was a dentist. That’s why his neck is always tilted like he’s looking in your mouth.

16 Likes

No stranger than he’s ever been…

7 Likes

He’s a loser and she knows it. I imagine she was doing a little psy op.

21 Likes

McCarthy can never be sufficiently humiliated.

There is no depth of depravity to which he will not willingly sink, no Rubicon of degradation he will not gladly cross, in his Gimp-like orgy of self-abasement, cravenly pursuing a Sisyphean dream of nominally ruling – as Lord of the Flies – over that suffocating stench of the GOP’s Mount Turd.

59 Likes

I got to say if there was a plan for a few Democrats to vote present or to inadvertently be in the bathroom when their name is called, nobody would tell Ocasio-Cortez about it. It’s not that nobody likes her, it’s not that she’s not plugged into the leadership, it’s that when you have a plan that lacks integrity you don’t involve members who’s broad appeal is their authenticity and integrity.

The fact that ghostar* doesn’t see this is damning.

*It’s what my speech to text heard and it’s what I am going with.

12 Likes

What other people have said is that it’s a majority of members present who vote for a named person. So by voting “present” they do reduce the total number of votes required.

6 Likes

Bodycount in the room is irrelevant. To win one must receive a majority among those who named a candidate on their “ballot” (apparently they are doing it via voice voting, but you know what I mean)

8 Likes

Congress has no mercy rule.

11 Likes

It begins to tell,
'round midnight, midnight,
I do pretty well 'til after sundown
Suppertime, I’m feeling sad
But it gets really bad
'round midnight.

3 Likes

Fortunately I read lips, I got this. Gosar says, “I don’t know what to get them.” AOC answers, “Okay, well, uh… candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she’s registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let’s get two! Go get 'em.” You’re welcome.

28 Likes

Definitely called that one.

6 Likes

…and per TPM at 5:34pm, voting is done for the day. They’ll pick it up again at noon tomorrow.

5 Likes

The fun part, for me is knowing that Gosar trusted OAC’s answer where the reverse would never, ever be true.

37 Likes

All night long, apparently.

A motion to adjourn is a privileged motion, and it’s always in order, so any member-elect (and technically every one of them is a member-elect right now) can make the motion. The Chair ordinarily cannot make motions…it’s limited to saying things like, “The Chair would like to consider a motion to adjourn,” but no one is required to make and second the motion (and a second is required). The Chair only gets a vote if the outcome is tied.

The more interesting question is whether the motion would be a motion to adjourn sine die (without a new meeting date/time set) or a motion to adjourn to a definite time, and how the various parties to this shitshow would vote on a motion to adjourn sine die.

6 Likes

9 out of 10 dentists agree that Gosar is an impacted tooth of a human.

21 Likes

and party bonus it happened on camera

5 Likes

Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK) has made that motion, and they’ll start up again at noon tomorrow.

7 Likes