Alabama GOP Leader Says He Wants More COVID-19 Cases In Order To Build ‘Immunity’

Alabama state Sen. Del Marsh (R), who serves as the Senate’s President Pro Tempore, tried to make the claim on Thursday that the astounding increase in COVID-19 cases rippling across the state is actually a good thing.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319761
1 Like

Does AL have the capacity to treat Covid’s mortality rate of 4.4% if they reach herd immunity?

Moreover, there are reasons why herd immunity does not work for Covid:

Germ-Over-People Party…STOP acting like a Mini-Trump or kissing Trump’s ass because you are killing your constituents…especially those that are maskless and do not SD!

20 Likes

if it’s so important, then he should display leadership by taking his immediate family to a COVID ward and try to infect himself.

38 Likes

The other question is does AL have the capacity to treat the long term effects that survivors will be dealing with going forward?

19 Likes

It is one awful thing to be anti-science but it is another level to make things up as you go. Did any reporter ask him who specifically told him that?

11 Likes

The Mayo Clinic warns…

C’mon what do they know! Peckerwood here’s got all the medical experience he needs.

7 Likes

Well, I can think of at least one person in Alabama that I would like to see catch a particularly nasty case of COVID-19.

And a dose of the clap, too, if that’s at all possible.

8 Likes

Sen. Doug Jones may lose to the GOPer in AL.

Wrap. Your. Head. Around. That.

What kind of people live there?

11 Likes

8 Likes

Another amazingly stupid Republican politician. Why bother to have vaccines for diseases? Sure. Just let them run rampant through the population until herd immunity is achieved. That worked really well with polio and measles and whooping cough. After they’d been around for a few months, nobody ever got those diseases again, right?!

25 Likes

Please tell me I am just having a nightmare…

11 Likes

The stupid burns brighter in Alabammy…

And Texas…

And Florida…

Basically anywhere with a GOP Gubner.

19 Likes

This guy is obviously taking his medical training at Trump U from Drs. Navarro and Kudlow with Dr.Devin Patrick as a guest lecturer. They use only the best words at Trump U.

8 Likes

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.”

13 Likes

How is it that, given the spectacular failure of this herd immunity theory in Sweden, and the Lancet study of Spain, these assholes are still…but, you know, people in Florida actually bought bleach as a cure from some crooks in Bradenton, so, there ya go.

7 Likes

Alabama Republicans are seeing their place as the dumbest people in the Union, threatened by their colleagues in FL, TX & AZ and we are now watching them take action to protect their title.

11 Likes

Republican. In Alabama. Self-righteous. Makes stupid comment. Somehow it all makes sense.

5 Likes

Alabama GOP Leader Says He Wants More COVID-19 Cases

This is being arranged, even as you speak.

9 Likes

The dictionary illustration that is found when looking up the "Dunning-Kruger Effect.*

8 Likes

Let’s see. Population of Alabama - 4,908,620

Herd Immunity kicks in somewhere between 70-90 percent, let’s say 80 . So you need around 3,900,000 infected.

Death rate is tricky - High in high risk populations - lower in low risk population. I’m seeing something like 1.5 percent being used a lot on the net - so - he’s hoping for a death toll (conservatively) in the range of only 585,000 dead.

I’m thinking he believes it will ALL be lower income, african americans.

ETA: Corrected number is more like 58,500 dead. I used. 1.5 instead of .015. Still a bad number

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available