After Threats To ‘Destroy’ Turkish Economy, Trump Announces Hike In Steel Tariffs | Talking Points Memo

President Donald Trump announced Monday that tariffs on imported Turkish steel would be raised to 50%, among other measures, in response to the country’s invasion of Kurdish-controlled areas of Northern Syria.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1255715
1 Like

The genius imposes tariffs to stop genocide that he enabled. Yay.

62 Likes

Steel tariffs. That’s all he could fucking come up with?!?

76 Likes

Trump’s statement said he’d authorized sanctions on anyone “contributing to Turkey’s destabilizing actions in northeast Syria.”

Would that include the American arms manufacturers whose instruments of death are being used?

34 Likes

Trump shoots his own foot and then makes up for it by shooting his own hand he used to shoot his own foot.

67 Likes

I’m going to love seeing Trump’s face when Erdogan nationalizes Trump Hotel Istanbul

59 Likes

Steel tariffs to make up for his own huge mistake. Yup, that ought to fix the problem.
And, all this to distract from his little impeachment problem.

17 Likes

Just go golfing and STFU.

28 Likes

That’s telling them. My guess is that won’t affect your hotels in Istanbul? How much more Moscow Mitch? How much more?

19 Likes

FIFY

18 Likes

In addition to raising tariffs on Turkish steel to 50% — matching the rate from five months ago — Trump’s statement said he’d authorized sanctions on anyone “contributing to Turkey’s destabilizing actions in northeast Syria.” He also said he had put trade talks on hold.

32 Likes

He could resign

15 Likes

I’d have posted a stuart smalley jpg, but the one that I saw would’ve likely gotten me a warning from a host.

2 Likes

Is Turkish steel even a thing? As in, do they even produce that much of it and do we even buy enough of it to make a difference?

20 Likes

and he’s only raising them back to where they were 5 months ago. that’ll show 'em!

24 Likes

Just lay off the brass til I get my new Zildjians, chief!

11 Likes

I’m down with that. Now would be as good a time as any.

3 Likes

Read Turkey is 8th largest supplier. 5% of their exports come to the US. Don’t know if it amounts to a hill of beans or not.
ED correct import numbers.

9 Likes

Exactly what is he intending to do to sanction the POTUS who actually created this situation. I know, he;s going to self-impeach.

12 Likes

As Trump continues, on a daily basis, to try and destroy our economy!

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available