After Decade-Plus Of Pride Celebrations, Corporations Are Caving To Right-Wing Anti-LGBTQ Threats

Target announced it will remove some of its LGBTQ+ merchandise from its Pride Month collection after threats and backlash from customers, making the corporation just one of several recent examples of prominent companies caving to right wing attacks on the LGBTQ+ community.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458482

Frist!

Another corporation I can not boycott because I have never shopped there and never will.

10 Likes

I believe some of these retailers fear for their employees. MAGAts have proven themselves to be dangerous.

26 Likes

Target has pride when it means they can sell me things, but not when it’s a position that requires courage.

16 Likes

I’ll be boycotting Target then.

Can’t have our proud American companies bending over backwards for the snakehandlers in the hollers.

11 Likes

They are truly becoming America’s Taliban.

32 Likes

are

FIFY

16 Likes

Not only is this morally objectionable, but it seems like bad business practice. The vocal anti-LGBTQ crowd is smaller than the majority of Americans who accept and even support our LGBTQ compatriots.

28 Likes

Someone should tell the Dodgers that the Catholic League is just Bill Donohue—a far-right jackass of the first water who yearns for a redo of the Spanish Inquisition.

40 Likes

On same-sex relationships, support is overwhelming. On transgender issues polling data is more complicated:

5 Likes

More free speech absolutism, I see.

10 Likes

YesBut™…

While most folks usually seem to focus on the “appealing to customers” side of things when a commercial enterprise observes Pride Month (or makes some similar gesture of inclusivity), another increasingly important consideration is how it plays with their own employees.

DEI is a big deal internally for some corporations, especially ones that want to attract and retain younger workers. I’ve certainly seen this at work in my own (large high-tech) employer.

11 Likes

If Target employees are being threatened, arm them!

5 Likes

Boycott them all. We’re the fucking majority and need to start fucking acting like it instead of laying down supine all the fucking time. It’s fucking abysmal.

3 Likes

:scream::scream::scream::scream:

a swimsuit sold in the women’s section has come under scrutiny for the way its fit was described, as “tuck friendly,” highlighted its ability to supposedly tuck male genitalia.

6 Likes

They’d have to change the company’s name.

15 Likes

I wish my side, you all, would learn from the success of these right wing attacks at business.

What I mean is, for example, if we really want to affect the behavior of those who support Marjorie Taylor Greene, we would boycott Vidalia onions. You see The Vidalia Onion Act of 1986 granted the trademark of the name “Vidalia® onions” and defined the growing region in Georgia. That is to market/sell a product as Vidalia onion it must be grown in Georgia. That’s the law.

As a result, many of MTG’s voters depend on Vidalia onions for their economics. So if we stop buying Vidalia onions, or encourage our own representatives to take a hard look at the act which while giving a monopoly to Georgia has little science, I mean they can grow outside the Georgia state borders.

So while it is completely within the right of anyone to boycott a business for any reason, I really wish my side would learn from the effectiveness of this tactic and apply it. For example, I will not watch and football game on TV if it is on FOX.

13 Likes

It was never a good idea to put corporations at the front of a civil rights movement.

5 Likes

Somehow I don’t see Dem foodies giving up their Vidalia onions.

That means I don’t have to watch the Bears. Which is a good thing.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available