A Worsening Trump Increases The Risk Of Political Violence

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1469533

Frist!

79 Likes

I mean, Come on Man… who doesn’t have at least $300,000 cash in their home.

54 Likes

Given what a vile disgusting violence-promoting thug Trump is, isn’t it shocking that a near majority of voters will vote for him again? Because Biden caused inflation. Because all the charges against him are fake. Because the right to automatic weapons is more important than children’s lives. Because women are there solely for the pleasure of men and to produce babies to consume and fight wars. Because racism and homophobia are good things. Because so many Americans think cruelty to the weak and to the decent is funny. Because Americans think rape is a kind of joke. Or because people are confused and blame both parties equally. Etc. Etc. Etc. It makes me sick.

Meanwhile we watch initially relevant and important grassroots movements on the left–anti-racism, March for Women, etc.–descend into money-grubbing cons and gratuitous anti-semitiism before falling completely apart.

45 Likes

Big picture is these are routine matters that are usually handled expeditiously, and they’re not here. More granularly, Cannon seems grudging and resistant to even routine moves by the special counsel’s team.

Bigger picture: Cannon is working for the defense.

81 Likes

I know, the guy needs a break; going on the lam is expensive.

17 Likes

Ms. Hutchinson continues to impress. It’s clearly not easy to question TDFG. She doesn’t seem to mind the possibility of being yelled at. May her bravery inspire others to locate their spines, ethics, patriotism…

70 Likes

“Trump’s real, enduring legacy is his successful introduction of violence, the threat of violence, and targeted harassment into the dynamics of our political system…"

We can all be thankful dozens upon dozens of top Democratic political officeholders and party leaders have fanned across the nation’s media landscape, vehemently and vociferously on a daily basis pushing back against Trump’s invocations of violence.

Oh, wait…

18 Likes

(Checks under mattress…)
ummm… Nope, no gold bars neither

30 Likes

“Trump’s real, enduring legacy is his successful introduction of violence, the threat of violence, and targeted harassment into the dynamics of our political system, as if they were all just a natural extension of democratic disagreement,” Juliette Kayyem rightly observed in The Atlantic this summer.

69 Likes

“The past few days have reinforced how unhinged Trump has continued to become and how political violence is the core of his message and for many his central appeal.”

Looks like the threats are being taking seriously.

74 Likes

I think she is actully working for the Federalist Society, which is working for the US oligarchy.

I truly think she is simply trying not to have the Docs case be the first trial of Trump.

I think that if Trump is convicted on the Jan6th cases the pressure is off her to save Trump. I think she doesn’t want to show obvious favoritism at trial then embarrassing her and the FedSoc when he’s convicted elsewhere anyway.

If Trump manages to get acquitted on the Jan 6th trial, then the bad press of obvious subversion of law is worth it…

Just like the SC may have taken cases that could have tipped the 2020 election if it was closer, and only needed one state… they didn’t because they couldn’t steal it all…

I’m convinced this is the play. I m sure she believes that if she plays along, FedSoc may push she be promoted to appeals at next opportunity

51 Likes

I would hope trump is charged as an accessory if anyone gets hurt on his account. After all he seems to have come into possession of a pistol with his image on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/25/us/politics/trump-glock-gun-south-carolina.html

29 Likes

(Too much of) this country is made up of people who are capable of pretending that what is happening is not happening. This applies in particular whose entire professional identity is supposed to be constructed around noticing what is happening:

Donald Trump went over the edge over the weekend and began calling for his detractors to be prosecuted or even put to death.

“They are almost all dishonest and corrupt, but Comcast, with its one-side and vicious coverage by NBC NEWS, and in particular MSNBC, often and correctly referred to as MSDNC (Democrat National Committee!), should be investigated for its ‘Country Threatening Treason,’” he wrote on Truth Social Sunday night.

“I say up front, openly, and proudly, that when I WIN the Presidency of the United States … the LameStream Media will be thoroughly scrutinized for their knowingly dishonest and corrupt coverage of people, things, and events,” he said. “They are a true threat to Democracy and are, in fact, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE! The Fake News Media should pay a big price for what they have done to our once great Country!”

Trump’s threat to the news media was actually his second attempt to menace detractors this past weekend alone. On Friday, he slammed Mark Milley, the outgoing chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, suggesting that perhaps he also committed treason.

“This guy turned out to be a Woke train wreck who, if the Fake News reporting is correct, was actually dealing with China to give them a heads up on the thinking of the President of the United States,” Trump said on Truth Social. “This is an act so egregious that, in times gone by, the punishment would have been DEATH!”

Trump was referring to two phone calls Milley made to Beijing, one during Trump’s last months in office and the second in the aftermath of the January 6 riot. The calls, which were to assure China that Trump was not planning to attack the country, were done at the direction of other Trump administration officials.

Reminder: Donald Trump faces no significant opposition in his march to the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, from either the Republican party or from anyone else.

Plan A right now among his opponents is “he will lose the general election.” Plan B is there is no Plan B.

47 Likes

Donald Trump is the head of the Republican party. He is still largely supported, although there are other contestants in the Presidential primary. He is publicly promoting violence for political purposes. Some supporters are sure to act out on this violence. A political organization that illegally acts out it political policies through violence is what a reasonable person would call a terrorist organization.

So, for the record, other than TPM, just how many other media outlets are reporting that the Republican party has basically become a terrorist organization?

62 Likes

“Trump’s real, enduring legacy is his successful introduction of violence, the threat of violence, and targeted harassment into the dynamics of our political system, as if they were all just a natural extension of democratic disagreement,”

I think you can make the argument that the political right has always used violence, the treat of violence and political harassment to achieve their ends. The only thing that Trump really introduced was the willingness to do it in the open, we’ve been doing the “Said the quiet part out loud,” thing for years. The left used the same elements for years too, it was used by the right to justify their violence and harassment. The new deal tamped down on the leftwing violence and the fall of the Soviet Union seems to have made it go away entirely which should give us pause to re-evaluate the increasing openness of right wing violence in light of right wing authoritarian regimes with money to burn and extremists to fund.

40 Likes

I think she’s trying to avoid doing her (day) job.

15 Likes

Looks like trump doesn’t like free speech as outlined in amendment one or in fact any inconvenient part of the Constitution.
I hope Jack Smith is paying attention to trump’s screeds.

24 Likes

Well, you see, that’s tough. If they called out Trump and the Republican party as Terrorists, they’d have to note that Demorcrats are too… that’s the MSM rules…

Since they can’t legitimately call Democrats terrorists, they won’t call Republicans that…

It’s just math…

36 Likes

Yes, the emerging Trump is a different weapon, the gas is more poisonous, reaches further, builds up. The fires of its destruction smolder in dark corners until they shoot out who knows where.

The trigger, the bullets, the mechanisms of violence are everywhere in place.

31 Likes