A Turning Point In America’s Cold Civil War … If We’re Lucky

Some analysts predict that the prospect of a custodial sentence has risen because of Trump’s repeated breaking of gag orders during the six-week trial and his condemnation of Merchant as “corrupt and conflicted” after Thursday’s verdict.

But Blanche played down that possibility, pointing to Trump’s advanced age and his previous lack of a criminal record.

“Under the guidelines and the rules of the court … President Trump would not face a day in prison,” he said. “Putting aside the fact he was president of the United States, the conduct that we’re talking about, he is 78, 79 years old [Trump is 77]. He’s a grandfather, a husband, a father. He should not go to prison.”

Come on Guardian. He’ll be 78 in two fucking weeks. Idiots.

43 Likes

I find it all so lusciously, deliciously literary, like the perfect story tied up with a bow.

The nobody rich asshole from Queens who wanted nothing in his life but to be accepted and lauded as some insider genius by the people who actually ran Manhattan fails so miserably in that quest that he’s instead humiliated by people he wouldn’t have crossed the street to piss on (despite what he clearly paid Russian hookers to do). Fat Boy’s comeuppance is so perfect and timeless it could have been written by Fitzgerald in 1924.

59 Likes

To echo the words of @deuce in the opening comment - a very well conceived and written MM, David. A lot to think about on this hopeful morning.

32 Likes
63 Likes

Oh, yes. I’m feeling the frisson.

13 Likes

Oh! Now Trump is an old man, huh?

54 Likes

Trumps defense: he is to old and feeble to go to jail.

55 Likes

Shocking! /s

I’ve decided two things that may be somewhat different than a lot of people here:

• DT should get a suspended sentence rather than actually incarcerated for now. That deflates the claims that he isn’t able to campaign and that there’s some big, bad democratic machine behind the conviction. I would bookend that by urging the Biden campaign to send a drone over every DT rally to demonstrate that he’s full of shit about crowd size.
  • DT will show up for the debates. Skipping isn’t a power move like it was during the primaries, and he wants a chance to use 100% of his time on stage with Biden to call him a criminal, corrupt, sleazy, etc, etc because he knows he’ll get that shown on major media outlets.

IMHO

16 Likes

73 Likes

It’s what we would have been fighting for instead, the battles we never got a chance to fight, the reforms that have been back-burnered for a decade, the lost ground on so many issue fronts. That’s what sobers me.

Yes! While Mexico City runs out of water and India is facing dramatic heat waves we have descended into idiocies unworthy of a great nation. In my more paranoid moments I think this is somehow by design.

53 Likes

Let us not forget, this was supposed to be the weakest of Trumps 4 trials. The original hope was for an acquittal or hung jury. Once again proving the invincibility of Donald J. Trump.
If Fani Willis can get out of her own way, the Supremes put duty over partisanship or Canon attains competency (the last two will never happen) Trump is truly toast.

46 Likes

To all of you still rejoicing after yesterday’s verdict, I must warn you to….please hydrate and carry on. Though the fight continues, yesterday was a great day for America, democracy, and justice.

79 Likes

True dat. His hair needs to be searched for a cake or extra large box of Whoppers candy that would contain a file.

10 Likes

“Advanced age”, huh? Do you mind if Biden uses that?

50 Likes

David, your essay is one I will print and keep. Thank you.

34 Likes

53 Likes

21 Stone.

17 Likes

I’ve already read the first “Trump should be pardoned for the good of the country” piece by some dipshit.
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/article288898244.html

Can someone tell me why aren’t links embedding for me lately?

ETA: It only seems to happen with some links. The Queens Daily Eagle story embedded.

12 Likes

I hope the mystery of his alleged hair is revealed.

14 Likes

Damn Redstate, that was a quick poll
Will the Trump Verdict Have Much Effect on the 2024 Election? New Poll Says No. – RedState :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

21 Likes