A Turning Point In America’s Cold Civil War … If We’re Lucky

This is special edition of TPM’s Morning Memo focused exclusively on the criminal conviction of the 45th president of the United States. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1491374
5 Likes

Thank you @TPM_dk . That is one beautiful piece of writing. For all of us here at TPM - and especially those with connections into the state and national Bar Associations - here is a key element of the next battle plan strategy:

In the midst of yesterday/daze drama, a few folks may have missed Jamie Raskin’s BOMBSHELL guest opinion in the New York Times on a constitutional provision, on how to force the recusal of Thomas and Alito. Here is a wonderful quote from his guest editorial and then a link to the total piece:

‘At his Senate confirmation hearing, Chief Justice Roberts assured America that “Judges are like umpires.”

But professional baseball would never allow an umpire to continue to officiate the World Series after learning that the pennant of one of the two teams competing was flying in the front yard of the umpire’s home. Nor would an umpire be allowed to call balls and strikes in a World Series game after the umpire’s wife tried to get the official score of a prior game in the series overthrown and canceled out to benefit the losing team. If judges are like umpires, then they should be treated like umpires, not team owners, team fans or players.’

Non paywall link: https://archive.is/8amuW. (H/T @jw1)

Thinking Sheldon Whitehouse gets credit too, and I’ll forgive Jamie for being an Orioles fan.

155 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time in the past decade thinking about not just what might have been had we taken a different fork in the road in 2000 or 2016

IMO what did more harm was the road we took in 2008. I was a donor to TPM back in 2000 when the whole Social security crises was important. I stayed an avid reader until 2008, when the DNC put its finger on the scales for Obama, and TPM went whole hog with them. Obama is why we had Trump, IMO, and you will not change my mind with any arguments in Obama’s favor, and calling me racist won’t help either, I got enough of that in 2008 from many blogs I used to frequent. I did not read TPM at all during the Obama years, but came back when the 2016 primaries started back up.

TPM today is one of my first reads when I get up, and I think today’s TPM team is top notch.

13 Likes

I’m exited about learning his true height and weight when he’s processed.

100 Likes

CHICKENSHIT
Trump just posted The darkest day in americian History and then just like that
Sorry that tweet has been deleated

Found it!

27 Likes

Enjoy After Trump Verdict, Twitter Goes To Work | Crooks and Liars
Just a few but check them all out

56 Likes

For WW II history buffs:

I always thought that De Gaulle was an imperious asshole, but I had no idea of how much of an impediment he was to the execution of the D-Day landings.

“Remember that there is not a scrap of generosity about this man,…”

De Gaulle pissed off Churchill and Eisenhower. Churchill was ready to kick him out of the UK and send him back to Algiers.

Churchill concluded the letter: “I can conceive no useful purpose in your staying longer and that the airplanes will be at your disposal tomorrow night, weather permitting.”

The episode offers a telling insight into the stormy relations between the allies, particularly the Americans and the French. The row on the eve of D-day had been prompted by a clash earlier in the day, not with Churchill but between De Gaulle and the supreme commander of the allied expeditionary force, Gen Dwight Eisenhower.

48 Likes

53 Likes

Hmm. Jared and Ivanka now have a matched set of convicted felon fathers. How nice.

151 Likes

Billionaires Back Trump Despite Guilty Verdict in Hush Money Trial - Bloomberg

27 Likes

Birds of a feather, flock together

33 Likes

Waking up today, I half expected to read media headlines like this:

News Analysis: How Trump’s Conviction Energizes His Campaign
Biden left flatfooted by Trump’s surging post-trial popularity

I didn’t have long to wait. The 8 a.m. NPR news bulletin concentrated entirely on Trump’s own characterization of his conviction, his potential to fundraise off it, and comments by some moth-eaten academic “political science expert” saying that Trump is essentially unstoppable.

NPR, at least, seemed to be treating a 34-count conviction as more positive for Trump than an acquittal.

58 Likes

May 30, 2024. A memorable Memorial Day.

23 Likes
30 Likes

This Morning Memo is Rigged!!! :grin:

53 Likes
21 Likes

Perhaps his true hair style will be revealed, too.

37 Likes
40 Likes

Yeah, right. Along with Dems in Disarray.

24 Likes

Being a felon is excellent news for the drump!

26 Likes