A Journey Through the Authoritarian New Right

Originally published at: A Journey Through the Authoritarian New Right - TPM – Talking Points Memo

There’s a lot of talk about the authoritarian leanings of the modern Republican Party. Donald Trump commits to pardon the January 6 rioters who sought to steal him an election; his rank-and-file supporters cheer him on when he says he’ll be a “dictator on day one.” Sen. JD Vance (R-OH), Trump’s Vice Presidential pick, likes…

Woot! Comments on commenting

7 Likes

The graphic on this article included two bikini-clad male-model beefcakes:

That was pretty on target, given the outsized role in Fascist History of closeted gay men, often in the guise of religious piety, projecting their own rage and self-loathing on women and other minorities.

I’m not sure any fascist movement in recent history would’ve had the same energy and reach without attracting a large number of terrified men trying to outrun their own sexual panic.

I think that’s true over the spectrum of the fascist right, from the Falangists to the Fascista to the Nazis to the Moral Majority to CPAC to Trumpers obsessed with gay people, drag shows, and transgenders.

Maybe I missed these references in the article, itself, but I think this elephant in the room comprises a mountain of potential doctoral dissertations just waiting for future sociology and political science majors.

Again, maybe I’ve missed it here and elsewhere on the site, but I encourage TPM (and especially the very talented Mr. Kovensky) to follow that vein in fascism’s history and present. It’s powerfully explanatory stuff.

Also too: great article!

46 Likes

The mess at the back door was me trying to get thru the deadbolts, wood boards and nails. Unsuccessfully.

8 Likes

"Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense.” – George Orwell, “1984”

16 Likes

These people clearly never even consider the possibility that the “Caesar” they await might wipe out the Right instead…

17 Likes

Can I comment on your comment on commenting?

7 Likes

So you’re saying that there examples of good male bonding and bad male bonding?

2 Likes

I think if these exemplars a what a perfect male is suppose to be tried to exemplify the qualities that they want all males to be then they’re in for some lonely days and especially lonely nights. Maybe they can take comfort in each other?

3 Likes

tpm SOFTWARE RUNS AMOK DURING FUND-RAISING EFFORTS…

4 Likes

The Fascist in '34 had a similar situation. Did not turn out so good for their leaders (Log Cabin Republicans take note).

SS men stormed the hotel and Hitler personally placed Röhm and other high-ranking SA leaders under arrest…The SS found Breslau SA leader Edmund Heines in bed with an unidentified eighteen-year-old male SA senior troop leader. Goebbels emphasized this aspect in subsequent Nazi propaganda, justifying the purge as a crackdown on moral turpitude. Kempka said in a 1946 interview that Hitler ordered both Heines and his partner taken outside of the hotel and shot…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Röhm9

9 Likes

Please edit.

Arizona Senate candidate Blake Masters

Egads! Why is it that whenever I hear the name Blake a certain image pops up from the canyons of my mind?

Which then makes me wonder: What is
download Blake Farenthold
up to these days?

Spoiler alert: Blake Bunny Sleepers and Tyler Thorsen can be heard on their KBSO morning radio show “Lago in the Morning with Blake and Tyler” from 6-9 on US 94.7 FM.

He’s also on X, the formerly non-fascistic app formerly known as Twitter that is universally referred to as “Twitter,”*
Screen Shot 2024-08-08 at 1.00.29 PM
where he generously describes himself as a “Retired conservative Congressman Corpus Christi, TX.”

Note: Farenthold abruptly resigned his seat in April 2018 amid the fallout from sexual harassment allegations and an ethics investigation by the House Ethics Committee. Having served only 4 years five months, he did not meet the six-year threshold to qualify for Congressional retirement benefits. Poor bastard.

The good news, however, is that lunch at the Golden Corral in Corpus Christi is still a bargain at $12.49.

*Sure, Musk may’ve rebranded a stainless steel range hood by slapping some tires on it and calling it a truck, but he’ll never rebrand Twitter.

9 Likes

As required, at the end of each episode:

8 Likes

If you are still patronizing MSNBC or ANY of the Zombie Fourth Estate, you are doing it wrong.

Care to guess what’s missing?

8 Likes

Who/what is this (from the graphic):

2 Likes

Could it be that he that Walz filed his retirement paperwork well before the mobilization was announced?

Pfft. Minor detail.

10 Likes

The part where he submitted his request to retire before his unit received their mobilization orders.

I.e. the part that reveals he wasn’t shirking his duty.

Funny how they left out a fact that shines a light on a vital piece of the story they purport to be revealing.

10 Likes

Aaron Rupar

@atrupar

·

2h

Trump: “Of course there will be a peaceful transfer. And there was last time.”

4 Likes

I’d guess he was looking on approvingly in this scene:

2 Likes