6 Unanswered Questions About Trump's Arlington Cemetery Fiasco

Morning Puppy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Why does it seem that the evidence in the Arlington Cemetery story seems to be classified information? No tape from the campaign, no filed reports from the Army, no witnesses identified or questioned.

Is it a rhetorical question to be asked as to who or what is being protected from scrutiny?

And no, I have no faith that either the House or the Senate will take any action. That’ll get shut down faster than the Border bill did.

33 Likes

A life unfulfilled.

14 Likes

Some interesting history from Larry Glickman on the use of euphemisms for “racist”, wherein the euphemisms are simply adapted from the right wing over time by the news media.

https://www.bostonreview.net/articles/lawrence-glickman-racially-tinged/

The nadir of euphemism is surely a dead tie between the Associated Press’s 1964 description of “racially tinged explosions” which were set off “near the recently desegregated campus of the University of Alabama” and “across town near a Negro cafe”; and a 1953 Associated Press story that described the trial of two white men who kidnapped a black motorist and set him on fire as a “racially charged case.

Given this historical context, what on the left has been so often treated as Trump’s radical departure from political norms comes into focus as the terminal outcome of mainstreaming the color-blind language of post–civil rights white supremacy. By extension, the cure cannot be more of the same: by amplifying this language of “racially tinged” and its kin, the media replicates the very same language of indirection that was invented by right ideologues to make it difficult to speak accurately of racial oppression. Color-blind and euphemistic coverage not only masks the danger of racism, it reinforces it. If this language was harmful during the era of “Massive Resistance” to the civil rights movement in the late 1950s, it is no less so in the age of Trump, when subtle dog whistles have been replaced with overt appeals.

63 Likes

Anybody giving odds on the two thugs being two of these three? Cheung, Lewandoski or Miller?

59 Likes

What’s difficult? Their job is to protect him, not commit or participate in crimes on his behalf. Time to haul Rowe in front of the relevant senate agency (Homeland Security?).

12 Likes

As soon as I read, “Florida/Texas judge…” I know with certainty that the rest of the sentence is going to piss me off.

36 Likes

I may need an intervention. I thought seriously of texting my IRL friend from these boards to tell her I was frist.

24 Likes

When? In 2026, when the Senate gets around to it?

3 Likes

One thing that interests me is that anyone thinks he cares one way or another about abortion or IVF. I would be stunned if he knew why the name “Roe” is in Roe v. Wade. He probably couldn’t even spell it, or name the state from which it originated, much less tell you the year it was decided.
He’s all over the place on this, but you would never know it from the MSM.

40 Likes

It’s a question with an obvious answer.

10 Likes

I’m glad MM mentioned the north Texas forum shopping case, wherein Space Karen is suing advertisers for not spending their money with Xitter; at this point, that judge is just waving a hanky at Trump – “Come, file here, I’ll throw out that pesky NY state criminal conviction for you …”

(This is the last toot in a thread with links to analysis of the the case.)

22 Likes

That’s why it was asked, rhetorically… :wink:

2 Likes

This comment has more to do with Josh’s “The Times Strikes Again” then this thread, but I just feel compelled to say that anyone who thinks the NY Times is playing it straight is not paying attention. The thumb on the Trump/GOP side of the scale has gotten so very heavy. The good reporting that they accidentally do from time to time does not out weigh the bad narratives they set and run with.

68 Likes

The campaign ain’t gonna release anything because it will document the assault.

The woman involved is terrified of the MAGA Brownshirts, and I don’t blame her one bit.

I’m guessing the Army and Arlington National Cemetery would love to bitch-slap Fat Elvis, Lewandowski (dollars to donuts he did the shoving) and the other jackbooted thugs, but are trying desperately to smooth things over, because they are also concerned about the MAGA Brownshirts.

57 Likes

Reposting from the other thread. Trump DID NOT say he would be voting for the Florida abortion amendment. The headlines are misleading. Here’s what he said:

“I want more than six weeks,” he stated. “I think six weeks is a mistake. And I’ll be expressing that soon, but I want more than six weeks.”

Wanting it and voting for it are two different things. He’s assuming his base will realize this is just pandering to women voters in order to get elected, and they know he’ll sign a national abortion ban the minute it lands on his desk. It’s all kabuki theater with him. He depends on his anti-abortion base not to panic, and not to believe what he says.

34 Likes

Good old NYT opinion…not even worth reading
Opinion | The Point: Conversations and insights about the moment. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

A Vague, Vacuous TV Interview Didn’t Help Kamala Harris

19 Likes

Dash is 3 years old today!

47 Likes

More like setting him up

12 Likes

Of course TCF is sharing QAnon statements and misogynistic memes.
Of course Vance is saying it’s how people get “lifted up.”

No one is in doubt of who they are. A nitwit working for a criminal idiot.

32 Likes