24 Dem AGs File Amicus Brief Backing DOJ Challenge To Texas Abortion Ban | Talking Points Memo

I was wondering why a snorkel was sticking up out of his pants…

1 Like

Ruth

1 Like

The only reason that I included the option of removing jurisdiction was that was one of the threats the right used on marriage equality.

I like your option, except that it will never get past the Senate filibuster – unless court expansion could “have a budgetary impact”, I guess.

Judicial nominations are not subject to the filibuster, and you don’t need to expand the court first. Just nominate four new justices, then their confirmation by the Senate puts them on the Court. They wouldn’t be sitting in permanent seats like the other 9, but they could still get successors appointed the same way when they die or retire.

2 Likes

A few public committee hearings on these choices might get Roberts’ attention.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the bulk of unprocessed ballots be those that voted by mail or used drop boxes on or shortly before election day, neither method trusted by the GQP voters? Didn’t most of them vote in person?

I texted thousands of voters in the days leading up to and on election day, and a significant number that responded had just dropped off or mailed their ballots, or were about to do so. They would be the ones counted last, so I don’t think we can assume that the margin will necessarily sink to the polling average (which had older, lower margins mixed in, and late breakers were trending “No”).

Again this assumes that the voters for recalling Newsom avoided mail and dropbox, regardless of when they voted.

But who knows? We’ll find out soon enough. Of course I’d like “No” to stay above 60%, though.

BTW, here’s the CA SOS link for unprocessed ballots:

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/unprocessed-ballots-status

2 Likes

Improvised from a TP roll:

1 Like

hahaha…eeeeeew…

1 Like

“Merkin”, “cis”, “het”, 'scuse me, but I’m new to your language so elaborate. BTW, “Weary”? You know who else is “weary”? Women who are underrepresented at every level of government.

Tell me why you wouldn’t want to see that. Joe will be 84 in 2024. I say “no thank you” to the prospect of a second run since right now he takes heat from certain quarters alleging he’s slipping and is on the downhill path to gaga. It would become hard to defend after three more years of these claims.

Because that French Laundry stunt was incredibly stupid and gross and elitist. Newsom could afford to lose a couple percentage points off his vote total in deep blue California, but we don’t have that luxury (ha!) in a presidential election.

1 Like

Name a popular blue state Democrat who might be a replacement. But how many times does he have to explain and apologize for this mistake? The right wing will keep pounding on it, but we need to stop doing that.

After 2016, I would hope that we have learned our lesson about nominating presidential candidates who carry such baggage with them. I also don’t relish thinking about what Trump would do to unleash Guilfoyle on Newsom, as it would undoubtedly be ugly. As to the who the 2024 nominee will actually be, I have little doubt it’s anyone other than Joe Biden so long as he’s still in good health. If not Joe, it will almost certainly be Kamala. And I’ll let '28 sort itself out because that’s a long way away.

Rookie mistake. Newsom, despite growing up surrounded by state politics and serving as Brown’s Lite Guv, still seemed fairly “green” (as in wood, not as in new deal) to me when he was elected. But I think he’s learning, and learning fairly quickly.

“Cis”, short for “cisgender”, is when one’s gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth.
“Het” is “heterosexual”.
“Merkin” is the preferred pronounciation of a gop’s nationality. Started with Dumbya, Cheney’s VP.

Women are not alone in their weariness of their under-representation in government (and business, and engineering, etc).

We live in an imperfect society, and always will. That means we are always struggling with the gops on who can be included as an American and yes, even as fully human.

I have chosen what forces I support and represent.

Errr, I thought that was “Murkin”.

I’ve understood “Merkin” to be something else.

Yes, it is. I’ve enjoyed that secret pun for twenty years.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available