20 Years Later, Political Press Still Falls Hard For Swift Boat Attacks

Originally published at: 20 Years Later, Political Press Still Falls Hard For Swift Boat Attacks

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version. Will They Never Learn? JD Vance launched a spurious and baseless attack on Tim Walz’s military service reminiscent of the Swift Boat attacks in 2004 that targeted one of John Kerry’s key political strengths: his…

Untitled
is this on?

51 Likes

"Politico is much more direct and puts the attack in the broader context with a story headlined: ‘Vance runs a Swift Boat attack against Walz’s military service’.”

That chest-puffing is pretty ironic, coming from Corporal Jimmy Olsen.

(Or, given his eye-liner, some might say Max Klinger.)

45 Likes

Yay. Let the flood gates open!!!

33 Likes

41 Likes

MM posted at 9:39 eastern. Comments open at 1:39 eastern. WTF

28 Likes

Now I’ve got to reread MM…

15 Likes

Seems like a site issue. None of the newer posts had them open last I checked a couple hours ago.

8 Likes

Comments is finally working, and it’s 20 minutes to TSF’s “press conference.” Any wagers on what TSF will be whining about? Or will TSF pull a Putin, and not start it for an hour or so, so he can stomp on the latest Harris-Walz campaign stop that has eleventy billion attendees?

24 Likes

But he never heard of it…

Donald Trump shared a private flight with the head of the rightwing thinktank behind Project 2025, the Washington Post reported, publishing evidence including a picture of the two men in airplane seats, grinning.

The flight was on its way to a conference organized by the thinktank, at which Trump told group members they would “lay the groundwork and detail plans for exactly what our movement will do”.

On Thursday, a spokesperson for Trump told the Post that Project 2025 “has never and will never be an accurate reflection of President Trump’s policies”.

But the Post published plane-tracking data and the picture of Trump with Kevin Roberts, president of the Heritage Foundation, in April 2022.

The two men were flying from Trump’s home in Palm Beach, Florida, to Amelia Island in the same state for the annual Heritage conference.

32 Likes

Now that Pencil Pusher Vance is disparaging the National Guard Service of Gov. Walz, let’s have some real Democratic pushback this time. If “military records” are the criteria, don’t just rake over Vance’s cushy desk job. Hit “Bonespurs” Donnie, too. The classics never grow old.

Meanwhile, continue to highlight Walz’s service, and drag out all the old articles debunking the recurring Republican lies about it.

51 Likes

Josh is permitting the A-Team comments section managers to return from orbit sometime next year.

26 Likes

Potty mouth Josh.

Holy crap," wrote Josh Marshall, founder of the influential liberal political blog Talking Points Memo.

https://www.rawstory.com/nothing-short-of-incredible-experts-stunned-by-new-polling-on-harris-trump-race/

32 Likes

Well, that’s his dementia talking. He was told about P2025, got the cushy private flight with all the trimmings, even ended up at a conference for it – but it’s slipped away in the musty corners of what remains of his mind.

Let’s try that attack: It isn’t so much that he’s lying – he actually can’t remember from one day to the next. Pass it along.

16 Likes

4 hour bender?

19 Likes

I thank him for his service to our country in the public affairs office.

14 Likes

I’d like to recognize the New York Times for coming up with scary adjectives for a normal person who doesn’t fuck couches. Is America ready for a “relentlessly normcore” vice president?

37 Likes

Yes. We build them good in America.

5 Likes

That can happen when you fly Boeing. Good thing I’m booked on an Embraer…

8 Likes

Hello, World!

11 Likes