Discussion: Why Letting Trump Be Trump Is Killing His General Election Prospects

I’ve seen comments like this one all over the media, “Take his proposal to ban Muslim immigration, for instance. When he first suggested it, the widespread condemnation he received – even from fellow GOPers – did not hurt his primary poll numbers…”

When Trump first made the proposal he was talking about banning all Muslims from entering the US under any circumstances including tourism and apparently anything else like business meetings, political meetings etc. He did not limit it to immigration.

1 Like

Where’s the story on Trump’s Russian hacked DNC file leaked to the press? Thankfully, Rachel was all over it last night but no one else…

1 Like

I just KNEW that was why Eddie Munster is voting for Trump.

Stumbling bigly
Like a piggly :laughing:

1 Like

Donald Trump is now acting like a horror movie slasher at his rallies.

He’s scary as a dictatorial candidate and almost more scary as a person. Obvious mental health challenges there. As he doubles down on being the ONLY answer to everything…the Congress and Courts be damned…he’s making himself unelectable.

It shouldn’t take much to convince the voters you spoke of when they already believe it themselves. Just ask them what they think and let them talk it through themselves. That’s all we have to do as volunteers when we canvass. Just let them tell us and agree.

It’s come to this. Republicans are frightened of their own candidate and Independents had already had enough of Trump’s demagoguery long before he won the nomination. He’s acting crazy as a loon; One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Give him a Napoleon hat and a straight jacket.

3 Likes

A big part of Trump’s appeal is that he is a “winner.” As he continues to do poorly in the polls, his image will be that of a loser and he will drop down into the 20s for the duration.

2 Likes

Steve Schmidt nauseatingly praised Trump (as “speaking up for America and against Barack Obama”) around the time of Super Tuesday. He so fulsomely did this that he overtalked both Lawrence and Rachel ON THE AIR while extolling Trump.

Schmidt: idolized as a “moderate” in the film “Game Changer”

Schmidt should be linked to Trump for all time. A case can be made that he is as much responsible for Trump as any MSM entity or analyst.

2 Likes

No, I just think that having lived with Trump in the local spotlight for 40 years, his current behavior is significantly exaggerated… unless he sees a financial payoff at the end of the tunnel.

Too mainstream Republican…maybe an android zombie slasher or a gene-amped designosaur serial killer?

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting suggestion about what Trump’s actual game is here: he isn’t trying to win the election but wants to start his own media empire. This sounds plausible to me. http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/06/donald-trump-tv-network

1 Like

I haven’t been able to read about Trump and his developing circumstance recently without being reminded of Monty Python’s Meaning of Life and zee Mr. Creosote.
Such a striking resemblance all

2 Likes

b/c my guess is that he wont be the GOP nominee in the GE…

and

Let’s see: Worth another post:
(1) Speaker of the House Ryan endorses Trump after calling him a racist.
(2) Trump University is a glaring fraud that Trump promises to continue at a later time.
(3) Trump attacks a sitting federal judge born in Indiana as “…a Mexican.”
(4) Trump gives himself high fives on the day of a mass murder.
(5) Trump accuses President Obama and Sec. Clinton of aiding ISIS and collaborating with terrorists.

Just yesterday: Trump: “They [GOP /RNC leadership] aren’t helping, folks. They aren’t helping. They can help or get out of my way. I may have to go it alone. I can go it alone.”

And all that in only the past couple of weeks! And those are only the major bits of insanity. How long can this go on? ___ Well, let’s just say the ubiquitous “they” aren’t ‘letting Trump be Trump’…“They” can’t do a fu*cking thing about it.
And …well, pass the popcorn. It’s only begun. ___ Go Hair Furor’!

6 Likes

Just thinking about Hillary and how she didn’t flinch through all of Trump’s shenanigans. No wisecracks back at him, no name calling, no complaining of how the media was giving him all the attention like most of his Repub opponents did. She was sanity and class itself.

Just what we need in a president. We had it for 8 years with Obama and we refuse to go back to a President (Bush) who is the laughingstock of the world.

5 Likes

WAAAHHH! I found it pretty breathtaking that Sanders, the non-winner has suddenly devised a system more friendly to interlopers like himself to disrupt a party process he simply didn’t study vigorously enough to exploit. So the solution is to make it easier for others to exploit? No.

I’ve grown weary of this petulant ego-driven character.

1 Like

He’s relying on turnout, based on the hard sell of disaster, which a lot of hard-right repubs were already buying before he came on to the scene.

If he can successfully turn off independents to both candidates, and motivate his base out of hate and fear, he could still win due to our low voter turnout rates.

If, however, he makes Hillary look appealing by comparison, and can build more enthusiasm for her (which already exists of course), then she will mop the floor with him.

Actually, I think that the more the RNC tries to massage Trump, the more they give him the “educating Rita” treatment, the more unhinged he will become when he rejects their advice because he thinks he’s so much smarter than they are. So I would be very happy if they put the screws to Donald. Donald likes being the screwer, not the screwee. Please proceed.

3 Likes

The more misogynistic he gets, the more her negatives will decline and his will increase. Nobody likes a scumbag bully…except other scumbag bullies.

4 Likes

Indeed, this is becoming Hillary’s race to lose now.

1 Like

I mostly agree, but I’ll be more convinced when the polls show more Americans favor Hillary over Donald when it comes to who they trust more to deal with terrrrism. And right now they weight to Trump’s side. That has to change.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available