Discussion: Why Letting Trump Be Trump Is Killing His General Election Prospects

2 Likes

Essentially his “I did it my way” is quickly becoming “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” Indeed, he’s become a Roy Cohn clone without the charm.

Please, carry on.

34 Likes

Other possible scenarios include (1) He wants to lose as being president is hard work, (2) he’s looking for a buyout from the RNC come Cleveland, (3) a “family medical emergency” causes him to exit and save face, or (4) he simply collapses all at once like the USSR in the late 80’s

19 Likes

News flash to Trump: Once Hillary tops 50+% and hangs in there for a few well-respected polls, that’s all she wrote for you, dude. When a candidate starts polling at 51% and over, the trend usually continues. So, please do us all a solid – Please keep doing “You.”

Hillary, my good lady, please keep talking about how great America is and how much greater we can be. Discuss with us the hard work it will take–we’re up to the task. Keep talking about President Obama’s success and how we can-and will–build on that success.

47 Likes

I am pretty sure Trump has self-destructed in the last two weeks. I was worried at one point that he could actuality win the general election, not so much anymore.

8 Likes

Did Trump watch too much West Wing?!

3 Likes

Maybe he didn’t watch enough West Wing. LOL.

19 Likes

I am all in favor of Donald “the draft dodging coward” Trump being Donald.

Although I think Josh is correct that he may drop out when it is obvious that he can’t win, I think it is more likely that he will stay to the end, and when the results are in, implode.

I see him being carried off the stage crying, and kicking and screaming, and yelling that he is President, and that the election was a scam.

Years later, rumors will persist that he passed way on inauguration day in a private New York hospital for the looney.

12 Likes

Donald may have enough money to have his own inauguration, staged in the Trump Wing of Bellevue.

11 Likes

25 or 26% appears to be Drumpf’s floor. By the looks of things (at present), he faces a Sisyphean task of getting another 25%. He has non-college educated white men on his side. Even support from that group has diminished a bit. The more people hear from Drumpf, the less they like him. Ordinarily, the majority of the electorate isn’t paying much attention to the election before the conventions. They’re paying attention this time…and most are appalled. Drumpf has been giving them a helleva lot to dislike. The signature card of the GOPers is the Fear card…and he’s even overplayed that one. Drumpf should have peaked just after the convention. He peaked a month ago.

29 Likes

While it’s gratifying to see Trump being roundly condemned for his latest descent into birther-style conspiracy theory madness, it raises the uncertainty level considerably. Clinton campaign better start gaming out strategies for dealing with a replacement nominee because the wheels are coming off.

23 Likes

I’m old enough to remember a time when the GOP nominee could say pretty much the same thing in the primary and general election, and be successful in both.
Which shows you how old I am.

22 Likes

Agreed. Whether it is “I support”, “I endorse” or my personal favorite “I support but don’t endorse” each and every one of them need to be tied TIGHTLY to Trump.

15 Likes

I agree but I am hopeful that the final implosion will come after the GOTP Convention.

20 Likes

…and the problem with that is?

2 Likes

I’m not old enough to remember Goldwater’s campaign and I was still rather young when Tricky Dick ran. I don’t recall this level of malice-ridden lunacy from any other candidate. In the days of the internet, not a syllable of the insanity is left unrepeated. Too many unstifled voices,that’s a problem for him. He doesn’t like that.

9 Likes

And how will having Trump fake being a decent human being help? Everybody would know he’d be faking it. He’s been in the public eye for something like 40 years, and he’s been an asshole the whole time. If the Republicans wanted someone behaved like a typical Republican politician and was an asshole in conventional ways, they had 16 other choices.

30 Likes

The old saying “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” rings true. Drumpf is a septuagenarian old dog.

“Ol’ Yeller…er…ol’ Orange, you’ve gone rabid, foamy-mouthed mad and you’ll have to be put down. On election day. With votes.”

15 Likes

Could it be the hundreds of thousands of brave souls wondering whether the gentleman on the right was “assimilated” enough?

7 Likes

As Dan Quayle once said about his nominee to a Federal Appeals Court, unintentionally revealing his support for Affirmative Action, assholes of lesser intellect deserve representation in high office too.,

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available