Discussion: Wheaton Cuts Off Student Health Insurance Over Obamacare Birth Control Fight

Discussion for article #238893

So did Wheaton College also renounce its standing in the lawsuit by this act? Since it accepts federal funds via student aid, et.al,. what other federal law does it violate?

15 Likes

“Anti-Birth-Control College Drops Health Coverage To Avoid Filling Out A Form.”

Because denying life-saving medical coverage for thousands of students and faculty is Pro-Life™

31 Likes

The oddity of this decision by Wheaton is that now its students, who are suddenly uninsured, will mostly get coverage elsewhere (perhaps on their parents’ insurance if they are under 26 and their parents have insurance, perhaps heavily subsidized through the exchanges). Any of those methods will result in the students getting coverage for birth control. So Wheaton’s actions have set in motion a chain of events that will lead to birth control being covered for their students – exactly the outcome they were trying to avoid.

Except now, the students or their parents will have to pay more for their coverage. Heckuva job, Wheaton!

14 Likes

It’s okay as the students of Wheaton College, one would presume, are all committed Christians who aren’t having pre-marital sex anyway, so what’s the rub? Any of the co-eds protesting this can be assumed to be sinners who ought to be made to wear clothing with a big “A” or “F” sewn on them. Otherwise, given the social constraints and chill and, likely, dearth of intellectuality there, why would any non-Evangelicals bother to enroll at such a “school”?

6 Likes

I’m sure the dorms at this “Christian” college serve only kosher meals, as the Bible requires, right?

7 Likes

This sounds like a really dumb college.

3 Likes

Why would anyone attend this backwater troll of a “pretend” college?

The “college” isn’t even accredited, I’d bet. I can tell, by the “evangelical” in their title.

1 Like
4 Likes

Wheaton College

A consecration camp for the weak minded.

5 Likes

Absolutely!

In fact, most Christian “universities” like Wheaton (Bob Jones, Oral Roberts and George Fox all come to mind) should find it tough sledding to get accreditation. Contrarily, some of the best schooling I got was at a Jesuit school. Had a Jesuit for an English class that I didn’t even know was a Brother until half way through the term as he eschewed the collar, wore a suit and tie and smoked like a chimney.

6 Likes

Wheaton’s position is tantamount to trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin; it’s an extremely–and overly–technical interpretation of the nature of the obligation. If they were so inclined, they could easily have come out on the other side of this question. And as a result, they are imposing a real hardship on many of their students. The group health insurance policies that colleges get are likely to be cheaper than individual policies for families with students, particularly if those families aren’t part of a group policy.

I suspect that this arises more from a general unhappiness with what they perceive as the state of the world than with a genuine and principled opposition to signing the form. Unfortunately, the school’s students are paying the price.

2 Likes

With this action, Wheaton is content in the knowledge that it has guaranteed a holier, more moral student body, to whom it can say “You’re welcome!”

1 Like

No, it’s denying life-saving medical coverage for thousands of students in order to prevent sluts from having sex, or, worse yet, having sex and enjoying it. They don’t give a flying monkey spunk about life! It’s all about control, misogyny and their own sexual hangups…

7 Likes

Nah, the bible re-boot got them out of most of the inconvenient stuff.

5 Likes

Says they dropped student coverage. What about employee coverage? Are they down with slut pills for employees? No, let me guess, they don’t hire women because Jesus says, right?

1 Like

Weaton had better hope that there are no litigious parents of a students out there, because I’m pretty sure that their brochures, orientation materials and so forth mention the student health coverage as part of the package that enrollees are getting when they decide to go to Wheaton. (I’m not saying such a lawsuit would necessarily succeed, but it would cost them a huge pile of money, especially if some student got sick or injured during the transition period between the cutoff of their old coverage and the starting date of whatever new coverage they find.

Even if some of their parents are “principled” idiots who have decided to go without coverage – and thus can’t put the kids on their policy – these young people will be in much better shape than if the ACA hadn’t been passed. Anyone with a pre-existing condition, for example, would be up the creek under the previous rules.

5 Likes

But where in the scheme of things does “general unhappiness” mean they get to screw their students over? Such a wonderfully mature reaction … I wonder how their graduates would score on a general knowledge test? Somehow I have an idea that they teach that Adam had a T-Rex as his guard dog.

2 Likes

If it was A-OK for Randy Pauly to form his own accreditation organization so that he could claim he was accredited we would assume it would be A-OKey-Dokey for these schools and their fans to form same for same purposes.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available