Discussion: 'What Is The Purpose': Trump Tweet Further Imperils House GOP Immigration Push

1 Like

If Congress passes reform, how will his buddies who invested in private prisons have their steady flow of detainees and taxpayer money? This is all about $$, mixed with some racism thrown in…

12 Likes

Trump didn’t write this tweet. It’s far more focused and somewhat knowledgeable of the proper application of the filibuster (recall that Trump whines about it even when he can’t get to a bare majority in the Senate).

But what this shows is something I’ve believed for a while: Trump doesn’t want an immigration bill. He wants the option to use the powers of the executive branch to inflict pain for political benefit. That’s what the ending of DACA and this family separation policy were about. If he gets a deal, those things likely go away.

Frankly, Dems would gladly throw in some money for a wall in exchange for support on comprehensive immigration reform, Gang of 8 style. Trump and the GOP don’t want it because it actually solves the problem and gives them no scapegoat to sell racism to the American people.

65 Likes

Trump Tweet Further Imperils _________________________________________________________________________ (fill in the blank)

15 Likes

The Master Negotiator strikes again!

The Art of No Deal.

14 Likes

That is some scary ass shit right there. Branson’s recounting of his meeting with dotard aligns perfectly with that statement. Revenge and pain and suffering drives this fucker.

21 Likes

Wow - another example of his 47-D chess strategy for maintaining control of the House and Senate.

Dotard.

Though like @khyber900, I don’t think he actually wrote the tweet. Does he dictate a point he wants to make to someone - or is his policy making by tweet done without him and without his direction?

6 Likes

Ryan and Meadows almost came to blows over a bill they probably know their “President” has no interest in backing. So I assume all the hullabaloo in the House is for political consumption for their folks back home, except they can’t even get that right.

6 Likes

Even on its own deranged terms, this makes no sense.

If you wanted Democratic obstruction in the Senate to be a campaign issue, you’d WANT the House to pass a bill, which Ds in the Senate would filibuster: shazam! You have the issue on your terms – that is, if your terms made sense.

5 Likes

Though like @khyber900, I don’t think he actually wrote the tweet. Does he dictate a point he wants to make to someone - or is his policy making by tweet done without him and without his direction?

It goes the other direction. This morning the waitress handed me a menu of everything they’re able to make for breakfast and I chose the one that would make me happiest. There was no deep “meaning” to my selection. It just sounded good for breakfast.

They’re doing the same thing in the White house - “trump, here are six possible tweets we wrote up for you” and trump picks the one he finds most personally satisfying. There’s no meaning beyond him feeding his own appetite.

12 Likes

“What is the purpose…”

Yeah, I’ve been saying that about your existence since the early 1980s, fuckhead.

7 Likes

Politics1.com Retweeted

John Harwood
:heavy_check_mark:
@JohnJHarwood
11,785 children are now in the care of Donald Trump’s HHS, according to HHS

8 Likes

This is from last week. The real number is now approaching 15,000 children that the GOPHaters have kidnapped and are holding in dark sites around the country.

The 2300 number is for children who were kidnapped from their parents recently. There are many previous kidnappings.

The 11,785 figure from last week is of course higher today. And it includes unaccompanied minors. Morning Joe reports that some of the latter are being tortured, beaten, etc.

5 Likes

We are in a surreal tragicomedy. I mean - that description is both hilarious in depicting how damn lazy and non-thinking he is - but it is also desperately tragic for this country.

3 Likes

It’s his bigly 47th-dimensional tiddlywinks stategery!

4 Likes

He knows how to be an immoral cruel SOB but he doesn’t know a thing about being POTUS.

7 Likes

Every day Trump catches up a bit to a ninth grader’s understanding of how government works, or how a bill becomes a law, and he always includes that new wisdom in his latest tweet.

He just learned that you need 60 votes in the Senate to end debate! Progress!

1 Like

Waaah. Baby needs a change, a bottle and a nap.

1 Like

That’s the money quote, right there. The observation that he wants to inflict pain is also correct. I think the political benefit is optional - he just wants to inflict pain for the pleasure he takes in doing so. He’s a sick monster.

12 Likes

Nine Dem votes?? How so - the GOP has the majority in both houses, no?

Why do they need ANY Dem votes? Because they can’t rely on their own?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available