Discussion: We Finally Get An Obamacare Replacement Question At A GOP Debate!

Discussion for article #245269

Since when is buying private health insurance in an open market considered a program being run top-down by the government?

14 Likes

So old people will die quicker. Who needs health insurance anyway?

6 Likes

“So if you lose your job, your health insurance goes with you, and it is personal, portable,”

Yeah, except for the part about losing your job and not having an income to pay for health care… unless… oh shit, did Cruz just suggest government-provided single-payer healthcare?! Of course not, he’s a douche… although a douche has a legitimate purpose that can benefit people… so a pile of dog shit instead?

12 Likes

Finally he said, “we should work to delink health insurance from employment.”

Which is what the ACA already does, sh*tbag.

17 Likes

ARGHHHHH He should die a miserable death from cancer that bankrupts his family and throws his kids out on the street. This is what he’s essentially pledging to do to millions of people. Wretched, vile, hideous, evil creature.

7 Likes

I have never really understood the health savings account stuff. Just before I retired from federal service (2004) they introduced such accounts; it didn’t make any sense to me (and I worked in HR). How the hell would a savings account cover the expenses of a major illness or hospital stay? What is the benefit of such an account?

9 Likes

No – the old will still have medicare. Its everyone else that he would so easily condemn to death.

3 Likes

“So if you lose your job, your health insurance goes with you, and it is
personal, portable,” Cruz said. “I think that’s a much more attractive
vision for health care than the Washington driven top down Obamacare
that is causing so many millions to hurt.”
…

(pounds head on desk)
Geeze Ted, you are assuming these folks HAVE health insurance. The whole fucking point of the ACA is the word “affordable”. Being able to take insurance state to state assumes you have it. It’s a no good option if ya don’t.
Ted, the best solution would be to expand Medicare to everybody.

7 Likes

It isn’t, but I’m sure no one at Faux news corrected him for the audience’s sake. Its the regulations that protect the consumer that GOP pols don’t like. Those insurance companies can’t bilk the customer like they used to, and if they do, they’re kicked off the exchange and have less ability to compete.

4 Likes
  1. Kill the ACA
  2. ???
  3. Affordable health insurance for all!
6 Likes

Did anyone ask Cruz why he lied about having health insurance?

9 Likes

So let me get this straight.

Ted Cruz wants dellink healthcare and employment.

There’s only one way to accomplish that, and that’s to pass a law prohibiting employers from offering health insurance.

Would he bar them from offering other benefits, like dental insurance, life insurance, pensions and 401K matches, too?

This would limit employers’ freedom to conduct business the way they see fit – although they would probably LOVE such laws, because it would be an albatross of their backs.

Hitler did something similar. . …

2 Likes

thank you for bringing that up

3 Likes

another brilliant thing that obama did was steal the republican idea for health reform, knowing that the racist congress would oppose it just to spite him. that’s why they could never come up with an alternative plan because all their ideas for preserving the “free market based” insurance market was from the heritage foundation.

5 Likes

“…will you be fine if millions of people don’t have health insurance? And what is your specific plan for covering the uninsured?”

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

“Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,” returned the gentleman, “a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?”

“Nothing!” Scrooge replied.

“You wish to be anonymous?”

“I wish to be left alone,” said Scrooge. “Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned – they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.”

“Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.”

“If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides – excuse me – I don’t know that.”

7 Likes

That clause cannot exist without everyone, or pretty much everyone, having insurance.

HSAs are a crock. If you are unemployed or have a minimum wage job with no insurance, you have no extra cash laying around to put into a savings account. Any pennies you managed to sock away aren’t going to cover a major medical emergency. A scam that could never work.

4 Likes

Me either. I think Carson, who is a big supporter of HSA’s, said you could get money from all your relative’s HSA’s if you get cancer or something. If you have relatives. Who are willing to mortgage their future.

3 Likes

Aaaand small business owners like myself – a two-partner business – get bupkiss? PPACA is the only reason I have insurance now, due to pre-existing condition denials. So this means my collection of rejection letters will be from carriers outside my state, too? Just effin’ great.

There is not a single word in Cruz’s or any of the other Obamacare repeal fetishists to indicate they would mandate guaranteed issue or any kind of controls on premiums or policy minimum coverage levels.

The only slight bit I agreed with there was his statement that health insurance should be decoupled from employment status. Y’know what thought? Medicare for All would solve it. I honestly don’t know of any seniors who are saying, “I’d really prefer private for-profit insurance instead of Medicare. Unpredictable premium rate hikes, unknown coverage, PPO and HMO provider networks, mountains of paperwork and pre-approvals for even routine services? Sure! Gimme that instead of what I’ve got now.” Right…

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available