Discussion: We Finally Get An Obamacare Replacement Question At A GOP Debate!

No, he didn’t. He basically is advocating for returning to what we had pre-ACA with the exception that employers don’t provide the healthcare…people buy it on their own.

Which of course, without those economies of scale that employers have…premiums sky rocket. People with pre-existing conditions are dropped immediately, as are all children over the age of 18.

But at least you can buy a really crappy insurance policy from a state that won’t set any standards!

@BeccaM Decoupling insurance for employers is not that great of an idea in our current system…or the one that Cruz is proposing. And he pretty much said screw policy minimum coverages. He specifically cited catastrophic healthcare insurance. And, buying across state lines ensures that some states will become like Delaware is with corporate filings and credit cards…anything goes, no regulation.

3 Likes

I guess orphans, people estranged from their families and those who simply have no families can go f*ck themselves, under Carson’s regime.

2 Likes

Ah, but you see, HSAs are beloved by the rich plutocrats, because they make for a fantastic tax dodge. And by the banks and money management firms who’d administer these HSAs in exchange for their own cut of the pie – and the freedom to go play stock market roulette with the deposited money.

Sure they’re a scam, but the question always to ask is “Who is benefiting from this scam? And why are they so incredibly eager to pass it?”

It was the same thing, with 401ks and IRAs replacing guaranteed pensions. Piles of money extracted from poor and middle class people (mostly the latter) so the plutocrats can play with it and plunder whenever possible.

5 Likes

Never said it was a great idea in our current system. I was indicating it’d be a great idea in a (wait for it) Medicare for All system.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t, but people who make over $100,000 get tax breaks to use them to fund band aids, prescription sunglasses and tylenol, and that’s a great thing!

Cruz’s response was so Gop 1992. No new thoughts and pushing plans that don’t solve the problem. All his suggestion would do is eliminate the employer controbution. Shocking he would try to cut business costs and pass them on to the employees. Just shocking I tell you, who would have guessed he would try and pull this…everybody.

And as a bonus, you get to pay the entire bill.

1 Like

All good Pubbies know that if healthcare costs drive you into bankruptcy, that is YOUR problem.

1 Like

Lets say you buy a policy issued in another state. Does the policy have to conform to the laws of the state YOU are in OR does it have to comply with the laws in the state where it was issued?

1 Like

Ted Cruz: All Hat, No Cattle.

Frankly, Cruz doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

1 Like

First, he proposed allowing people to buy insurance plans across state lines. Secondly, he promised expanded health savings accounts. Finally he said, “we should work to delink health insurance from employment.”

“So if you lose your job, your health insurance goes with you, and it is personal, portable,” Cruz said

Buying across state lines is a form of deregulation. Suddenly the state with the least regulation is the home of the insurance companies. Delinking health insurance from employment is good unless insurance companies reject you or charge you more for a preexisting condition or drop you if you get sick. People have to be pretty stupid to take Ted Cruze at face value or maybe just cynical.

2 Likes

So, the answer, as we all know, is NO, it doesn’t bother Smarmy Ted one bit if millions of his fellow Americans lose coverage.

Hell, he’d take coverage away from millions of his fellow Canadians if he could.

1 Like

This guy is an asshole!

1 Like

Actually, it is part of the Pubbie Plan to Save Medicare. You see, as more and more people die before age 65, the fewer and fewer people there are to enroll in Medicare thus big Medicarre cost savings.

1 Like

I don’t have one so I’m not really sure this is right, but I thought the idea was that it let you put some money aside before taxes that you could use to cover any medical expenses incurred before you reach your deductible, thus allowing you to sign up for a cheaper plan with a higher deductible. However, that would still require you to have an actual insurance plan and enough money to pay both a premium(even if in theory it is a cheaper premium) and put money into the HSA.

Edit:At least this seems to be the idea behind the HSAs my employer offers.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available