Discussion: WaPo: Pompeo No Longer Top Choice To Replace Tillerson At State Department

1 Like

Am I a little slow this morning, or does this article fail to tell us who IS the top choice to replace Reckless Rex?

12 Likes

NOt the only one that’s slow… wit, not whit.

1 Like

That pesky Mango Mussolini loyalty oath requirement pop up again?

6 Likes

Trump enjoys his daily briefings. The New York Times reported in November that Trump has become increasingly fond of Pompeo, as the former three-term Congressman tends to offer the President advice on issues far outside his reach as CIA director.
Pompano shows him big briefing folders with lots of pictures and Trump in bold letters in every paragraph.
He also supplies crayons

18 Likes

Nary a whit of wit!

2 Likes

The top choice depends on what time it is. If a top choice was stated it might be inoperative by publication.

2 Likes

Tillerson’s successor?

I predict: Lindsay Graham. Why else would Graham have become one of Trump’s leading brown-nosers, if not because he and Trump have already discussed State?

17 Likes

Anything that keeps Tom Cotton away from the reins of the CIA is worth popping the Moët & Chandon bottle open. There are also rumors about increased reticence towards special elections after the Alabama shocker this week. Cotton may find that he may just have to stay put and not expose the current Senate majority under the current unfavorable electoral climate for Republicans. More may have been achieved in Alabama than just keeping an abominable character out of the Senate.

22 Likes

Has McConnell told Donnie to keep his hands off the Senate?

@k_in_va SC, ID, WV, WY, and OK might be the only safe seats left.

1 Like

I hear Gary Busey and Meatloaf are available, Donald. Hey, nominate Judge Pirro! I would just love to see that 2-bit criminal get roasted like a Vietnamese suckling pig by Democrats during the confirmation hearings. She probably thinks she could get the job just by flashing her knockers like she does on Fox.

7 Likes

Just more winning I guess. With Tillerson going along with the deep cuts to the State Dept. and not having any diplomatic experience, it’s now wonder Putin is smiling. The US State Dept. and our Diplomats were highly respected in the world and it was a big obstacle to Putin’s global neo-nazi movement and ambitions. By debasing the US State Dept., Trump and Tillerson have greatly enhanced Putin’s global push…Trump has no idea the damage he’s done to the US Internationally. Trump’s base is even more clueless.

The really sad and inexplicable part is how can Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan just sit there and allow this to happen? Are they really only concerned with the party and not the nation’s standing in the global community. This is really tragic.

6 Likes

3 Likes

No. This article tells us very little of even new gossip. Basically just that Trump likes his daily briefings from Pompeo, which dovetails with another story that emerged this week (again…already reported months ago, but it coming up again with this, gives a slight bit of context), that Trump likes his daily briefs to be “good news” and include lots of mentions of him. So the WH goes out of its way to not tell him bad news (particularly anything concerning Russia) for fear of setting him off on a tantrum.

This article doesn’t mention, but we are supposed to make an inference, that the “Pompeo at State” plan was trial balloon that got shot down. We should also infer that the WH is still scrambling to find a replacement for Tillerson, who said almost 6 months ago that he wanted out by the end of the year. But the MSM is still acting like this is all brand new news, and are stunned to find out that Tillerson is leaving State.

4 Likes

And he never ever mentions Russia. When Mr. Trump hears that word in a daily briefing it makes him so mad he goes stamping around the room for hours!

1 Like

It might be worth it for Lindsey to become SOS just to see him travel to Great Britain, since it will be the first time America actually sent a queen to visit the monarchy.
And wouldn’t you just love to see the shit that the FBI and the CIA must have on Miz Lindz? I’ll bet that closet isn’t big enough to hold it!

2 Likes

Of course the media is acting like this is brand new news. They still think that tomorrow is going to be THE DAY DONALD TRUMP BECAME PRESIDENT!!!

4 Likes

that Pompeo will likely stay in his current position because Trump enjoys his daily briefings.

donnie’s worried that someone who replaces pompeo won’t soft-pedal Russia in briefings. Poor donnie wouldn’t be able to handle that.

The fact that briefings need to be altered from the truth to coddle his ego is, all on its own, enough reason to impeach. He’s neglecting his duty to protect the nation, and the briefing staff that goes along with this is just as bad.

3 Likes

@adabsurdum comment may make the WH reconsider all notions of appointing a sitting Senator. SC “should” be a safe place for republicans, but looking at what happened in AL AND the special election they had in June for Mulvaney’s old seat, is probably giving them pause.

That being said, Graham has been casting about for an Administration job for awhile now. His presidential run was supposed to be an audition for SecDef. I do think, whether its a State job or not, that Graham is buttering up the President right now, as he has figured out the only way to get Trump to listen to you, is to pay him lots of compliments first.

7 Likes

the former three-term Congressman tends to offer the President advice on issues far outside his reach as CIA director

Not sure which is worse: for Pompeo to advise Trump on intelligence matters or for him to opine “on issues far outside his reach.”

I suspect the answer is “Yes.”

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available