Discussion: WaPo: Pompeo No Longer Top Choice To Replace Tillerson At State Department

that Trump has become increasingly fond of Pompeo, as the former three-term Congressman tends to offer the President advice on issues far outside his reach as CIA director.

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Mike_Pompeo.htm

2 Likes

Glad Pompeoā€™s out to replace Tillerson at State. That gives my candidacy to be the next Secy a boost.

Oh, sure, of course Iā€™m utterly and completely unqualified to be Secy of State. I would be a disaster in the job. Thatā€™s why I would be a perfect fit in this administration! I even have dementia a little, so Trump and I would get on swimmingly. Weā€™ld bond. I would be his buddy, brighten his day. What, you expect something more from a Secy of State!?

Please, whatever you do, DO NOT write the WH supporting my candidacy. You folks are way too intelligent. You use too many big words that are no longer the best words that are all thatā€™s left in the vocabularies of me and my dementia buddy. I canā€™t say quite what those best words might be just offhand, but I suspect that you people would not use the best words in recommending me, so just lay off, okay?

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure the State Department matters that much in the world of Trump. T-Rex has chopped it down and diminished its relevance. Thereā€™s really no reason to replace T-Rex. He might be bored of the job and want to quit. The only other thing I can think of is some Congressional Republicans like Lindsay Graham or Tom Cotton are lobbying to get a cabinet position or other exec position and State is part of the musical chairs puzzle. I could see Trump getting rid of Haley and T-Rex and moving some people into different spots.

2 Likes

Not possible.

Trump is a moron.

3 Likes

I think it could be Graham - it frees up a senate seat for Henry McMaster, the current SC governor who was all in for Trump (Haley was picked for the UN job so Henry could become governor). But Graham has warned Trump about firing Mueller - Graham might still believe - as he said in 2016 - that Trump is a kook and unfit for the presidency. This could give Graham a chance to be part of a 25th Amendment cabinet process to remove Trump and put Pence in the White House.

1 Like

As one looks at the chain of filling positions if Tillerson leaves has changed with the victory of Jones. Cotton (or any other Senator) can no longer be in the chain. It would seem that changes all of the dynamics up and down the list.

2 Likes

As glad as I would be to see ā€œWrecksā€ banished from Foggy Bottom, I think ā€œSkippy The Bush Kangarooā€ would be better than Pompeo.

1 Like

Tillerson is reportedly at his witā€™s end with the White House over its delay in filling key State Department positions, according to the officials who spoke with The Washington Post.

That's curious. Tillerson has previously stated the State Dept could basically be run by the parking attendant in the Senate offices garage and the White House pastry chef. In their spare time.
2 Likes

so with this special handling Pomp is one of the Adult Day Care Staff?

1 Like

Trump probably needs Pompeo at CIA to keep sitting on the explosive Russia conspiracy business. Heā€™s putting Trump over Country.

But hey, I hear Omarosa is now available. As incompetent as she is, hard to do worse than Tillerson.

1 Like

The Top Choice is found in the frozen food section at the supermarket. Dotard will request his selection when he gets the munchies at 3:00 a.m. His staff has indicated he likes frozen peas warmed up in Russian tea.

2 Likes

Just Google something like ā€œState Department is useless and should be shut downā€ and see what names come up.

The only people who would want the job under Trumpp are people who donā€™t believe the DOS has a reason for existing.

That depends on how the seat would be filled. If the governor could appoint a successor to fill it until, perhaps, 2020 (I donā€™t know if any states would do that), then a sitting senator could be appointed. And you are assuming that Jonesā€™ result was not all that improbable. While his win has changed the calculus somewhat, Iā€™m not sure that it has really scrambled things all that much in deep red states.

After somehow managing to get a Democrat elected in Alabama to take Sessions old Senate seat, the Trump administration is leery of offering any more cabinet seats to Republican Senators.

Wow. Way to instill confidence in the USā€™s commitment to diplomacy, Donald.

1 Like

I am thinking that Cuck Kushner, who is de facto Secretary of State, is the top choice. According to Steve Bannon, he is incredibly talented and capable of unbelievable acrobatic acts.

1 Like

Are you sure? I donā€™t recall hearing that Tillerson objects to Trumpā€™s failure to appoint officials. Seems to me that the default opinion was that Tilly was complicit in that, as he was busy hollowing out the State Department himself.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available