Discussion: Trump Admits He's Slipping In Swing State Polls: 'We're Having A Problem'

A few months ago I got into an argument with someone about the media saying that Trump was going to do well because he was focusing on Working Class Voters. The thing is, while Ronald Reagan did well and even won due to Working Class Voters at the time, there are a whole lot less of them today than there were back then. Since Reagan took office, the Service Sector has grown while the traditional Working Class have shrunk. There’s fewer people employed in manufacturing, mining, and the like today than there were in 1980. Add the racial factor into this, and you cut into the Working Class Voter numbers, and the same holds true for all the other minority categories.

Basically, Trump is going to lose because he’s trying to appeal to the one group which is pretty rare these days.

2 Likes

BUT…We’ll get the ‘miners’ and the religious freaks out to vote and we’ll win bigly!

1 Like

"we’ll win Pennsylvania because of the miners,”

Number of votes cast in 2012 PA presidential election: 5,753,546

The coal industry’s own estimate of the number of coal-mining related jobs in PA: 41,500

That’s 0.7%

http://www.alleghenyconference.org/PennsylvaniaEconomyLeague/PDFs/EconomicImpactAnalyses/EconomicImpactOfCoalIndustryInPa0410.pdf

3 Likes

I was going to make the same point, but then again, living here in the middle of the fossil fuel extraction zone, you’d be amazed how many yards have signs lamenting Obama’s “War on Coal.” These are people that have nothing to do with coal. It’s akin to the Affordable Care Act: opponents by and large either aren’t affected by it or benefit from it, yet it’s a talking point drummed into their heads.

But in the final analysis, Clinton making that comment will have little effect – these people would never vote for her under any circumstances. So I think it’s fair to say that the scope of this meme might be much wider than those directly affected, but it doesn’t extend to very many of those who haven’t already made up their minds.

Yeah, but that’s not how it works. It’s a meme with much wider appeal (if you want to call it that.) It’s just another mindless point of infuriation to help the whiners whip themselves into a frenzy. But while there are many more whiners than there are working in those industries, they’ve already pledged their support to the fascist, because Trump legitimizes their racism, xenophobia, and jingoism. I take no joy in pointing that out because these are my neighbors, but that’s the reality on the ground here as I see it.

The bottom line is: this will net Trump very few new supporters.

12 Likes

Exactly! When the hell does he thing he is – forty years ago? Grow up, Donald Trump!

4 Likes

The Trump campaign, in an effort to facilitate communication with the media, has released a list of stock phrases that the media can use to expand Trump campaign pronouncements. Due to the demands on the Trump campaign’s communications staff and the limited space available on Twitter, only the numbers of the phrases and expressions will be used and the media can expand them at their leisure.
Excerpts from the list follow:

1. sad!
  2. crooked Hillary.
  3. you wouldn’t believe
  4. the dishonest media.
  5. losers.
  6. he’s a sleaze.
  7. incompetent leadership
  8. that was sarcasm.
  9. I’m rich.
  10. Second Amendment people
  11. 2 wants to abolish the Second Amendment.
  12. I don’t know anything about white supremacists.
  13. I never heard of the Ku Klux Klan.
  14. She might have had a bomb.
  15. I love [fill in the name of the most recently denigrated demographic].
  16. [fill in the name of the most recently denigrated demographic] love me.
  17. I have very passionate supporters.
  18. carry them out on a stretcher.
  19. I’ll pay for their legal defense.
  20. rigged election.
  21. I wouldn’t say it, but a lot of people are saying it.
  22. political correctness is destroying this country.
  23. a lot of people have told me.
  24. I saw it on the Internet.
  25. We’re looking into that.
  26. excuse me sir/madam, you’ve obviously mistaken me for someone who actually gives a shit what you think.

The full list can be obtained from your local Trump campaign office.*

15 Likes

Correct. But he is down in both states (except for Quinnipiac, which I have dropped entirely for rest of this campaign. They are simply horrible). And nearly every day, there seems to be another state shifting from safely red to leaning red or leaning blue.

Georgia is blue on most map predictions right now. Arizona is in play. Freaking polling in SC has Hillary only down 2. In South Carolina!!

What’s a little frustrating is seeing/hearing talking heads discuss with their Very Serious Faces on, about what a road to the White House for Trump would look like. And without fail, they will discuss several states where Hillary has a double digit lead. Pennsylvania. Michigan. Wisconsin. And always, always, they are still including both GA and AZ as totally in the bag for republicans. Based on, you know, a string of polls over the past two weeks that show Trump losing Georgia. Safe as freaking houses (built at the foot of an erupting volcano)

I mean at that point why don’t they just say “Well, if Trump won every single state, the entire map would be red…and he would be elected President” It has the same level of plausibility.

12 Likes

I think you need to add another digit in front of all of those numbers…

2 Likes

“It could cost us the Supreme Court.”

You already lost the Supreme Court. It’s only because of the unprecedented obstruction by Senator McConnell that you have a 4-4 Court.

13 Likes

It’s like when the Matrix was revealed to be a cascade of numbers. Soon we will need an abacus to decipher what Trump is saying.

3 Likes

They had to put those photos laminated. Didn’t want to get them wet … with holy water.

1 Like

So just this morning, there have been two TPM discussions.

Trump On Election Strategy: ‘I Don’t Know That We Need To Get Out The Vote

Trump Admits He’s Slipping In Swing State Polls: ‘We’re Having A Problem’

cognitive dissonance

the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.

4 Likes

Alt headline: Trump Caught Soliciting Miners

17 Likes

Looks like Trump has finally hit the Fifth Stage of Grief.
The five stages: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

3 Likes

But if you add in coal miner families, that number rockets up to somewhere just above 1%.

3 Likes

Math is biased in favor of LIBTARDS. If Trump and the evangelicals can unskew it, perhaps they’ll win.

3 Likes

10 Likes

“I don’t know that we need to get out the vote…I think people that really want to vote, they’re gonna just get up and vote for Trump."

Sounds like an excellent plan of attack.

“We’re going to hopefully win, and the way we’re going to win is you have to get your congregations and you have to get parishioners and you have to get all your people to go out and vote,"

Yeah, all you family-values Evangelical hypocrites, cast your vote for this guy:

5 Likes

Surprising that the “author” of Art of the Deal doesn’t know how to close one, innit?

6 Likes

I don’t know what the nation or economy will look like when lower tier laborers and “working class voters” further diminish. Robots will do a lot of it. Drones. Automation. Already at cheap hotels you serve yourself your own breakfast. However, in talking with many people from that class of people, and watching Trump rallies, and reading what they think on blogs and news accounts, I have to question the wisdom of their inclusion if the vote process. They rarely read a non-fiction book. They think Dancing With the Stars is entertainment. Art is what you buy out of a bin at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Exercise is walking from the fridge and back. They want children taught the world is 6000 years old and Jesus rode a dinosaur. What they know about economics, philosophy, literature, world history and politics, science and a thousand other subjects could be written on the back of a matchbook cover. Why we bemoan the steadily falling numbers of working class people is puzzling. I say good riddance.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available