Discussion: <span class="s1">Federal Judge Grills Arizona On Immigrant Policy: 'Does It Come Down To Racism?'

Discussion for article #238529

“Does it come down to racism? Does it come down to discrimination against these people?"

Yes.

34 Likes

I would love to know how the Arizona lawyers responded to that question. Was it rhetorical? TPM, you sort of left out that important detail.

14 Likes

A law was passed in California effective January 2015 allowing immigrants to get driver licenses. It’s expected that 1.5 million people will apply and receive licenses. It’s a win-win situation situation: Drivers will have passed a DMV test and will pay something like $30. for that license and they’ll gain the mobility they need to get on with their lives.

16 Likes

Well, what’s the answer Caitlin? How did the AZ lawyers respond? What is the governmental interest in keeping these people from getting driver’s licenses? Do they want to keep them from voting perhaps?

4 Likes

Does a bear…oh…nevermind…

4 Likes

Interesting photo caption, true to the TPM form. Funny, but the person in the center of that photo doesn’t really look like Miss Venezuela, to me. But what do I know?

Edit: I see they’ve noticed the mismatch. Now the photo actually corresponds to the caption. Pity - it was more fun the other way.

3 Likes

Plus they can then get insurance, too.

11 Likes

You didn’t get your special glasses upon entering the theater I guess.

2 Likes

“Judge, I wish you wouldn’t say things like that,” Arizona Assistant Atty. Gen. Dominic Draye replied

4 Likes

His wife gave up a long time ago telling him when he has spinach between his teeth.

3 Likes

Judge Harry Pregerson, who was appointed to the 9th Circuit Court in 1979 by President Carter, asked the Arizona legal team if there was any reason to deny licenses to DREAMers beyond racism

Yes Judge Pregerson, there are in fact multiple reasons beyond racism and are called “Immigrations Laws”.

Not that you, being a Judge and all, should know anything about them…

So you would rather they drive without and also without insurance.

Me I’d rather have the unlicensed driver rate of my insurance go down a bit. I’d also rather have insurance coverage cover any issues rather than my rates being jacked up because of all the unlicensed drivers. If I go to Europe for a vacation, I get local coverage otherwise I also am an uninsured driver. If I visit Canada all I need do is make a phone call to my agent and he’ll send out the Canadian coverage slip so that I am covered otherwise I’m on my own. Makes sense to me to make sure as many drivers as possible are licensed and insured.

15 Likes

So, all he said was “Judge, I wish you wouldn’t say things like that.”? LOL! Seriously? He didn’t even have the courtesy to act falsely indignant! He may as well have said “Judge, don’t ask me questions that exposes what a racist piece of crap I am! I’d rather just stay quiet and deny people basic rights based on their nationality, ethnicity, gender and race! Don’t call me out on my myopic, hateful ways!”

13 Likes

Cite the federal immigration law that prohibits states from issuing driver’s licenses to undocumented immigrants.

We’ll wait.

Jeebus Crust, but you’re a tool.

22 Likes

Just so we’re all sure, you’re waiting but not holding your breath in anticipation, right? We wouldn’t want to loose you to asphyxiation.

3 Likes

The defendant’s lawyer will not admit to the client’s blatant racism.

Let’s not talk about it, the defender of racism pleads.

What a hilarious liar!

4 Likes

i live here, raised here, the answer is yes. even more so now with the new breed of legislators at the capitol.

4 Likes

don’t be obtuse, its embarrassing. just bc the judge asked the question you believe he does not know?

5 Likes

No, your homor, we come from a place of love for White culture and our appreciation of it in our Arizona home. Just as the Mexicans, the Negroes and the Asians all have the right to do the same things in their home countries. Except for the Injuns … they have to cross the “land bridge” back into Asia

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available