Discussion: Sessions Was Linchpin For Trump On Capitol Hill When He Met Russian Ambassador

"According to the CNN broadcaster, citing US government officials, US intelligence considered Kislyak to be a “top spy” and “spy-recruiter.
The media outlet added that the ambassador’s alleged “proximity” to Moscow’s intelligence was one of the potential reasons why former US National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was in contact with Kislyak before his resignation.” https://sputniknews.com/us/201703021051188303-kislyak-us-spy/

You can find this information in lots of places. But never mind, you assure us it is “highly unlikely.” I guess US intelligence is also a drama queen.

6 Likes

I believe the best move for Trump (and I think he might do it) is to force Sessions to resign. My reasons are the following:

• Sessions is small fry in the scope of Russiagate. He doesn’t know that much and isn’t financially entangled like Trump’s mafia cronies. He isn’t Flynn, Kushner, Sater, Cohen, Manafort, Bannon, Page.
  • Sessions’ main role was to sell the GOP caucus on Trump’s policy changes towards Russia, enabling permissiveness of Vladimir’s takeover of Crimea, Ukraine and the lifting of sanctions. Sessions has achieved that and has outlived his usefulness.
  • Sessions’ as AG is damaged goods. He is also a lightning rod on the left b/c of his position on marijuana. Bernie Sanders’ statement today calling for resignation, not recusal, is significant because he is signaling that his base will come out to vote in unity with Dems if Sessions hangs around. Trump needs division to win.
  • In order to defend Sessions, Trump has to invest Spicer’s time to lie, when Trump needs Spicer to lie for him. That’s a costly investment with limited return.

Cutting Sessions loose allows Trump to say that he believes in ethics while offering nothing on Russia.

Actually, you don’t know anything about what US Intelligence thinks, you have a third rate TV network trying to spice up a story with a reference to the ‘US Intelligence’ (pretty vague: CIA, FBI ?).

There is lot of knowledge about how the KGB works, and that is not by having an ambassador as an active agent. The consequences of a disclosure would be way too grim.

O stop trying to crater trust in the US press, please. That is going to be recognized for what it is from now on - an ongoing attempt to confuse people over what is and what isn’t true.

A third rate TV show can still broadcast the truth and cnn. is no friend to this administration.

4 Likes

6 Likes

“He was asked during the hearing about communications between Russia and the Trump campaign—not about meetings he took as a senator and a member of the Armed Services Committee,” Sessions spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores told the Washington Post Wednesday.

And that’s the point. A point a better lawyer than I would have noticed in real time rather than realizing it after the fact: he was asked, hypothetically speaking, what he as hypothetical AG Sessions would do if he found out that associates of the Trump campaign other than hypothetical AG Sessions had done a thing. And rather than answer the question he was asked, he gave a nonresponsive answer. A very special kind of nonresponsive answer. A denial that he personally, a) was actually associated with the Trump campaign and b) a denial that he personally had had any such meetings.

He told two lies he need not have told, two lies he could have avoided telling, simply by answering the question that was asked rather than answering one that had not been asked. And that, my friends, is the thing that people who are guilty, guilty, guilty do when a question hits closer to the mark than the questioner intended. That’s the kind of thing that people who who have a Big, Big Thing they’re consciously trying to conceal because they fear consequences do.

Sessions is complicit in this whole subversive conspiracy. Whether as a co-conspirator, an aider and abettor or a mere accessory after the fact I cannot tell you, but his fetid little god-bothered subconscious mind was and is deeply aware and fearful of personal jeopardy and made an appearance before the Committee to tell us so.

And one need not just take my psychoanalysis as evidence. The contention that this was just a normal foreign service committee thing for him to be having private tete a tete’s with the Russian ambassador (i.d.'d by CNN as their chief spy recruiter as well) is also a lie. An important point buried in the WaPo story was that they asked all 26 foreign affairs committee members whether they’d had any meetings with the Russian ambassador and 20 came back with a resounding “nyet,” while the other six sayeth naught. As one of them pointed out anonymously, in September, Russia was toxic. In September, a member of the foreign affairs committee, particularly a Republican, would have rather had a private meeting with the plutonium core of a nuclear bomb than with the Russian ambassador. And yet Jefferson Beauregard did and just “forgot” to tell anyone while he was busy denying that a thing that had actually happened happened in the course of answering a question he wasn’t asked.

12 Likes

Yes indeed.

6 Likes

Well, believe what you want, time will tell…

Its also time to talk about what the Russia conspiracy is. We have a lot of pieces, but Americans need the story. We’re looking for facts and trying to draw conclusions, instead of drawing conclusions first and seeing if the facts fit. We know enough to do the latter.

Put simply, I think the Russia Conspiracy is the following:

1. DT and Vladimir have a cooperative agreement to help each other achieve their own political goals, at the expense of official US policy and possibly in violation of US law. What are those goals?:

For Trump:

• Assistance with generating ‘fake news’ to skew MSM coverage against HRC.
  • Assistance with generating activity in social media to drive news coverage and support white nationalist themes
  • Assistance with rapid response to news cycles to redirect news away from him and against his opponents.
  • Campaign financing to Trump’s campaign directed through foreign sources intended to skirt US law.
  • Financial incentives in Russia state owned enterprises, including those impacted by US sanctions.
  • Loans and financing of Trump’s business empire, which requires extremely high levels of cash to keep paying back loans. This could be both loans and directing people to buy troubled Trump assets or purchase Trump assets/services in order to keep it all running.

For Vladimir:

• Change of policy to one of permissiveness on Crimea/Ukraine.
  • Weakening of NATO.
  • Lifting of sanctions which would mean a significant personal payoff to investors like Vladimir, Trump and others. There are possibly also frozen assets which once available would be directed to Trump and Putin interests.
  • Weakening of EU.
  • Coordination w/Bannon on media strategies in US, France & Germany for elections.
  • Lessening of US presence in Syria, enabling Russia to maintain and expand its sphere of influence.
  • Possible financial incentives in Trump owned businesses.

There are any number of laws these actions might violate, but equally important, these actions are against the interests of the United States.

4 Likes

This from ACLU…

I’m going to donate to ACLU…

Agree. But I’m assuming Pence will go down with SCROTUS, and we’ll end up with Ayn Paul Ryan.

1 Like

Indeed it will but one would think that time was already telling since here we are.

Where are we one might ask? In the middle of watching this whole thing come apart. And it wouldn’t be without the NYT, the WaPo or any of the rest of the American press.

4 Likes

If you think there’s ever been an ambassador to the US from the USSR or the Russian Republic who wasn’t up to his fucking chin in whatever the KGB or the FSB was up to in his embassy and the country he was accredited to, you’re crazy.

4 Likes

Nope, you are an EXCELLENT lawyer.

2 Likes

As I said above, that is not how the KGB works, there are plenty of serious books about that (and of course also a lot of trash).

You are going to be disappointed if you let wishful thinking AKA ‘confirmation bias’ direct you…

Yes.

And the NYT and the WaPo have both been awesome.

2 Likes

Say what you want about Trump but he is a good communicator with the common folk. He is the right’s version of Bill Clinton or because he is wealthy and from the North a better comparison is with FDR.

Pence is no Trump when it comes to communication and will have trouble with his agenda a difficulty selling it.

Supposedly Kislyak is in the front row at this invite only speech by Trump

https://pictures.reuters.com/archive/USA-ELECTION-TRUMP-TB3EC4R1BV7XI.html

Mayflower Hotel April 27, 2016 Washington DC

6 Likes

Session attended, too.

5 Likes

I think you are insulting ‘the common folk’

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available