Discussion: Sanders Predicts A Contested Convention: 'We Intend To Fight' For Votes

I think the good Senator wants to keep the money coming in, as other commenters to this thread have suggested. And he is trying to rile up his base. Sigh. In the end, he’s behaving just like every other politician.

16 Likes

Just stop.

According to FiveThirtyEight after this past Tuesday night’s results Sanders would have to win all the following contests by the popular vote margins indicated to have any chance to get the needed delegates to go into the convention ahead:

Indiana: Sanders +28%
Guam: Sanders +14%
West Virginia: Sanders +45%
Oregon: Sanders +61%
Kentucky: Sanders +31%
Virgin Islands: Sanders +14%
Puerto Rico: Sanders +20%
California: Sanders +26%
New Jersey: Sanders +16%
New Mexico: Sanders +18%
Montana: Sanders +71%
South Dakota: Sanders +50%
North Dakota: Sanders +67%
D.C.: Tie

Based on these estimates, Sanders would need to beat Clinton by 26 percentage points in California, 28 points in Indiana and 16 points in New Jersey, all states where he trails Clinton in polling averages. He’d also need to win Western states like Oregon and Montana by 50 or more percentage points. No matter how much creative, mind-bending math he and his supporters might be tempted to apply, there really is no viable path for him.

#FeelTheMath

70 Likes

What is disingenuous is Sanders is saying that super delegates don’t count when talking about how many delegates a candidate has secured, but that they do count when it comes to determining how many delegates a candidate needs to secure the nomination.
You cannot have it both ways and be an honest broker.

34 Likes

Clinton currently needs 231 more delegates to reach 2,383 delegates total and there are 1,016 still avaiblabe delegates remaining to be decided on.

So if Clinton gets only 23% of the remaining delegates left in the race, she will go into the convention with over 2,383 delegates.

‪#‎FeelTheMath‬

43 Likes

I guess Bernie feels he has to say things like that to justify staying in a race that he otherwise has no realistic chance of winning. I think his involvement has mostly been positive, and has helped showcase the much higher and more serious level of discourse among Democrats compared to Republicans. But I hope that he takes the high road the rest of the way and doesn’t resort to cheap shots that might in any way reduce the likelihood of the Democrat – i.e. Hillary – winning the general election.

17 Likes

Go home, Bernie. You’re drunk.

41 Likes

YES! That is beautiful. Of course, only mathematicians and parents with kids in grade school will get it. But it is the PERFECT description of what Sanders is trying to pull.

And, yes, I have a grade school kid.

17 Likes

I think that’s where the rest of the progressive Senators come in (i.e. Warren, Brown, Franken, etc.). At some point, there’s gonna be a chorus of Dem Senators who are in position to tell him to exit stage right because - you know, you lost. After that, there’s no more purpose to be served except a self serving one.

41 Likes

He knows this. His campaign knows this. I think he also knows that he has no chance of wooing any super delegates to his cause.

What he is doing is laying the groundwork to claim he was cheated. That has been fairly evident for the past few weeks, when he started attributing his loss in NY to the closed primary rules. Which means, he is laying the groundwork to pout through out the general, and give an excuse to his supporters not to vote in November. Thus the statement last weekend that its up to Hillary to convince his voters, he isn’t going to bother with it.

Remember, this is a man who repeatedly and publicly called for Obama to be primaried in 2012. Now that he actually perceives he has his own skin in the game, that same approach will continue far beyond the convention. Bernie has fallen in love with the crowds and attention. By playing spoiled brat on the sidelines, he will ensure that the media at least, continues to give him attention.

However, I still think that the Warren/Brown/etc progressives are going to step up for Hillary very soon, and co-opt his supporters. I think they are hesitant to do so ahead of Cali, but if Bernie is hellbent on this approach, they may move up their timelines.

53 Likes

If that’s true then, as I’ve said before, he’s in the process of killing whatever legacy he had. No way he’s going to come out of this looking positive or justified.

EDIT TO ADD: I agree that he and especially that wife of his are priming the “we wuz robbed” pump by way of spreading the meme of the system being somehow rigged in Clinton’s favor. Here’s the thing: Madame President is under no actual obligation to help him settle his bills after thee election. SO he and his wife can he total choads about this or they can see into the future and go along to get along.

22 Likes

By hook, or by crook, right berns?

One small problem, you will never win! There’s a thing out there called…wait for it…MATH!

And you don’t have the numbers fool. And you never will.

12 Likes

I think he is going a bit further. I think he is saying that since superdelegates could change their vote all the way up to convention, they count in his numerator but not in Clinton’s numerator irrespective of their currently stated preferences (or maybe precisely because most of them currently stated a preference for Clinton). I’d say that not only this is not math – it is not even Bernie-level math. And I’m saying it as someone who back in the fall considered voting for him in CA primary.

18 Likes

What a total sorry losing asshole

14 Likes

I thought that needed repeating.

Oh, and, he’s not even a freaking dem for crying out loud!!

26 Likes

Conspciously absent are all the BernieBots.

18 Likes

The math is simply not arguable. Any attempt to do so is a combination of wishful thinking and possible shenanigans at the convention.

And I find it even more revealing that among current Senators exactly one has endorsed Sanders (Clinton: 40); nine Representatives have done so (Clinton: 172); and zero current Governors (Clinton: 16). Many of the most liberal Democrats in the country have endorsed Clinton.

Even if I didn’t know anything else about the race, it would give me a lot to think about the fact that he is that unpopular among his colleagues, even among those who by and large share his political ideas. They can’t all be Wall Street shills, can they?

Has any Sandernista ever explained why almost none of the people who know him best like him enough to support his bid for the presidency?

28 Likes

Chammy, I was just going to ask…where is darcy?

3 Likes

And if he doesn’t understand the rules, which I highly doubt, he could always ask his campaign manager for clarification since Devine helped make the rules.

23 Likes

It’s gonna get really uncomfortable for him if he insists on getting ugly and both the governor of VT and Senator Leahy basically start calling him out.

19 Likes

No, no - don’t say the name. Kinda like Beetlejuice, he might appear.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available